BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an 07 and closing my trunklid requires takes both hands with a firm grab on the bottom edge of the license-plate frame (dont get me started on why there isnt a proper handle for closing...) and a serious and sharp downward pull to overcome the mech/spring enough to engage the latch.

that seems like a crappy design in a luxury car.

most luxury cars i know (that dont have a power closer/locker) have a balanced and very light action trunk-lid mechanism that requires only a very light touch to close & lock the trunk lid -- basically like a single finger to close securely.

anyone else find the trunk lid closing force on your e60 on the high-side? the closing force on my e60 is not unlike what i needed to close the trunk lid on my '78 plymouth volare!

·
Registered
548 Posts
You are correct; does take some effort to close the trunk - both in my 2008 and 2010 E60s.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My trunk is not difficult to close but I almost got hit in the face when I first got the car when opening the trunk. The spring is much too strong.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
anyone else find the trunk lid closing force on your e60 on the high-side? the closing force on my e60 is not unlike what i needed to close the trunk lid on my '78 plymouth volare!
And another thing - BMW doesn't offer a Corinthian Leather option!! :mad: ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no corinthian? too bad! ricardo would NOT be pleased...

my last car (opel omega-b) had the perfect trunk operation. you could have both arms full of groceries, but you could still close & latch the trunk-lid with a light bump from your chin -- i seriously doubt anyone, even a brute like TRS550, can do that to their e60!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
By the way, the same is true of the hood too. I find I have to literally fling the hood down from about 3 feet up, otherwise one or the other side won't fully latch shut. The fit is perfect, so I don't think it's an alignment issue.

For that matter, the doors have to be shut harder than most other cars, although in that case it kind of feels weighty and well-made in a positive way.

P.S.: I understand it's a joke, but if I'm not mistaken the Corinthian leather option was on the Cordoba. Montalban hated it that he wasn't allowed to pronounce Cordoba the "correct" Spanish way - COR-doba - and had to say cor-DOH-ba. Doh!

·
Registered
96 Posts
By the way, the same is true of the hood too. I find I have to literally fling the hood down from about 3 feet up, otherwise one or the other side won't fully latch shut. The fit is perfect, so I don't think it's an alignment issue.

For that matter, the doors have to be shut harder than most other cars, although in that case it kind of feels weighty and well-made in a positive way.

P.S.: I understand it's a joke, but if I'm not mistaken the Corinthian leather option was on the Cordoba. Montalban hated it that he wasn't allowed to pronounce Cordoba the "correct" Spanish way - COR-doba - and had to say cor-DOH-ba. Doh!
Easily done when you get used to it, but way to much force required IMO. I was able to get my hood closed on the first try just yesterday by dropping it about three feet. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
P.S.: I understand it's a joke, but if I'm not mistaken the Corinthian leather option was on the Cordoba.
Yeah, but work with me here...

Wallyman, everyone has heard for decades now about the legendary trunk closing capabilities of the 1978 Plymouth Volare - I mean, that's all my Dad would talk about at the dinner table throughout my middle school years - but what about the performance? Montalban was always demanding more than it could deliver. Here, Ricardo is on the highway imploring his chauffer to speed up...

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts

Yes, I had a 1978 Cordoba with cloth seats. That was my first car. Huge trunk,can't remember how much effort was required to close it. Parallel parking in Manhattan was tough.
As to this topic, I find the trunk hard to close and it takes entirely too much effort imo. I dislike having to put my hand(s) on the top portion sometimes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dislike having to put my hand(s) on the top portion sometimes.
that's the biggest irritant. get your car all cleaned and detailed and looking just right, then you gotta leave hand print smudges on the trunk just to close the damn trunk-lid...DUMB bmw engineers!!!

at least fit an internal pull strap so you can give that a tug when you're closing the high-effort trunk-lid mech.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Here come the nit pickers

No problems closing the trunk lid. I remember quite a few years ago the nit pickers were on the topic about how stupid the clown nose was and went on for months about the dumb BMW engineers and so on with the front bumper being to low and getting chin scrapes and the continental tires being no good, just to mention a few topics and guess what BMW sales were on the rise in those years and will be on the rise even with the trunk issue so suck it up or go to a different manufacture. Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
big help, vern. tremedous value-add to the topic. thx for playing! :neener::neener::neener:
I love playing with the nit pickers especially the new ones.:cry:
cheers
vern

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
I love playing with the nit pickers especially the new ones.:cry:
cheers
vern
I didn't feel the need to bring it up, and yes it is a MINOR annoyance. Putting in all in perspective, I still love my car. There will always be trade offs. A Japanese car would probably have better electronics and reliability, while the driving experience would be less thrilling. Having said that, the OP has a legitimate gripe. That is why we are here. We post both positive and negative. Coming from the X3, I am still getting used to some of the differences, and the back lid was equally difficult to close there. The X3 had a convenient grab handle and there were no handprints left behind. I am sure I will "master" closing the trunk on my 530. Don't know if you are kidding Vern, but I hope you are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
of course it's a nit. duh. there's much to enjoy about the e60. are you not getting enough complements on your "2010 535iA Build Date 4/20 Black Sapphire Metallic-Black Leather-Logic7-Rear Electric Sunshades-SP-AS-PP-PDC-Nav-HUD- SAT-Fold Down Rear Seats-CWP- iPod and UAB adapter-Wheel Locks- Rubbber Matts- Euro Del. 5/12/09 Redelivery 6/30/09 "?

you oughta add a running tally of every time you've washed/waxed it and changed the oil/filter and maybe even filled the gas-tank -- now that would be interesting!

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
maybe it was posted already...i use the handles behind the license plates area (really to the left and right of the plate) and it works like a charm. i never have to touch the trunk exterior. just one smooth arm motion and the trunk closes for me. maybe it's years of practise from the e46?

and if you are thinking i'm some big beefy guy...think again. i'm what most american's call thin. :) in reality i'm smack dab in the middle of normal according to BMI. bottom line...no reason to have a nit about the trunk lid closing.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
maybe it was posted already...i use the handles behind the license plates area (really to the left and right of the plate) and it works like a charm. i never have to touch the trunk exterior. just one smooth arm motion and the trunk closes for me. maybe it's years of practise from the e46?

and if you are thinking i'm some big beefy guy...think again. i'm what most american's call thin. :) in reality i'm smack dab in the middle of normal according to BMI. bottom line...no reason to have a nit about the trunk lid closing.
yeah, I was thinking the same thing, what's the big deal, there are huge grab-handle inserts to the left and right of the license plate inside the trunk lid. Grab your things inside the trunk, reach in and pull down the trunk lid and it's closed - I do this all the time. Wally may be a newbie and hasn't fully explored his E60 yet??? Sheesh, Wally, welcome to the 'Fest but gripe about something legit' Eh?

·
Registered
726 Posts

I also try to use the handles on the inside of the trunk lid to shut the lid; it is very difficult though. Often time I either slam it too hard or pull it not hard enough to shut it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.