BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm there on vacation with two family members. We only have a week to visit Rome, Innsbruck, and Munich, so we'll be on a rather tight timetable.

The 2-series coupe is too small to use for myself and my mom and aunt all week, and in addition, BMW couldn't schedule a delivery with CarPlay until the day before we fly back.

My family members are very supportive of me taking European Delivery, but it seems like it would be a quick victory lap and driving it to drop-off.

As I look at USAA prices on local inventory, it seems like I could get what I need locally for about the same price (though I might have to wait a few months on CarPlay.)

In my case, do you still think ED is worth it?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, only you can really evaluate that.

That you go through this much of sleepless nights agonizing over Car Play sounds pretty ludicrous to an old fart like myself. Seriously? After all posts on 2 series forum about "would like this, but gotta have Car Play", now you decided to screw up perfect Euro vacation and drive your car like you never, EVER will where you live for what exactly ... for a Car Play?

Anyhow, different strokes for different folks. If I were you, I would take my mom and my aunt to a vacation of lifetime in a car I wanted and not care one bit about Car Play. You sound young enough to have another 15 cars all with one version of a Car Play or another. How many times do you think you will go and drive a BMW in Europe? Answer that and then decide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's more a matter of choosing a priority - the family vacation was already scheduled without a car in mind. This is just possible icing.

It just seemed fortuitous to get the 2017 model with that one feature I'd been looking forward to. I don't really care about the bigger engine or 5 more HP - a 2016 would suit me fine if CP is not a factor.

And I sat in the back seat of a 2-series (admittedly, convertible). No way I would put one of them through that for a week.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
You keep answering your own question.

I think it's more a matter of choosing a priority - the family vacation was already scheduled without a car in mind. This is just possible icing.

It just seemed fortuitous to get the 2017 model with that one feature I'd been looking forward to. I don't really care about the bigger engine or 5 more HP - a 2016 would suit me fine if CP is not a factor.

And I sat in the back seat of a 2-series (admittedly, convertible). No way I would put one of them through that for a week.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
OK, then. You will still save money on a rental if you do take them in your 2 series. Back seat isn't that bad if front passenger doesn't require limo knee space :)

Again, good luck with your vacation.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
There's always a risk of major damage in an accident due to unfamiliar roads. The risk is small but has happened. Therefore, I don't fault someone for picking their car at the end. You wouldn't have saved on car rental but you would get the delivery experience and the thrill of driving your new car in Germany a little.

I drove my European Delivery car for only a few days due to lack of time to take a vacation.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
As I look at USAA prices on local inventory, it seems like I could get what I need locally for about the same price (though I might have to wait a few months on CarPlay.)

I don't know how long a "few months" are - but your ED car will take nearly two months to get back to Georgia, perhaps even longer to Alabama. So it could be that ED will save you neither time nor money.

One option if you decide to do ED would be to drive up to Rothenberg ob der Tauber and spend the day. Your mother and aunt could take turns in the back seat, you would have a chance to drive your car a reasonable distance and you would all have a chance to explore one of the best little towns in Germany. You could stay the night and enjoy the "Night Watchman's" tour. Or just head back to the drop-off point at the Munich airport.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know how long a "few months" are - but your ED car will take nearly two months to get back to Georgia, perhaps even longer to Alabama. So it could be that ED will save you neither time nor money.

One option if you decide to do ED would be to drive up to Rothenberg ob der Tauber and spend the day. Your mother and aunt could take turns in the back seat, you would have a chance to drive your car a reasonable distance and you would all have a chance to explore one of the best little towns in Germany. You could stay the night and enjoy the "Night Watchman's" tour. Or just head back to the drop-off point at the Munich airport.
That's a nice thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My opinion? European Delivery and Welt experience > fad technology that will be obsolete in 3-4 years.
Completely agreed that CarPlay will probably become as useless as my current MINI Connected.

But it's not precluding my ED.

It's just that timing is such that I will spend less than a day w the car if I do it. This would likely still be the case if I weren't ordering one with CarPlay.

Timing is not a problem as far as American delivery. Not in a desperate hurry.

Using your argument that fad technology is irrelevant, it's tempting to pick up this stateside 228i instead and save another 4 grand. The only things I would be giving up are leather, CarPlay, and 5 HP. And, of course the delivery experience.

As wonderful as the Welt is and as much as I know I would enjoy it, savings matter. I can have a lot of cool experiences for 4 grand....

https://www.carmax.com/cars/bmw/228/2016/13178406

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also only had one day with the car due to welt scheduling for my ED. I still did it anyway. The delivery experience is fantastic. I suggest to do it as long as you don't mind the extra time awaiting redelivery state side. The savings is not really there anymore but since u already have travel plans the airfare is not really extra.

I decided somewhat last minute to do an ED as well. I had a trip to Germany planned with friends and my lease was expiring. My friends were very supportive and enjoyed the experience with me.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
My opinion? European Delivery and Welt experience > fad technology that will be obsolete in 3-4 years.
Truly. I've yet to be in a rental car whose car play was worth a crap. Not optimistic about implementation in BMW.

OP, there is a lot of value in an ED other than money - the experience is awesome and the museum/factory tour are great.

Having said that, if you are interested in the discount then it is probably easier to just order one from your local dealer. You're going to be waiting a couple months either way.

·
Registered
871 Posts
it's tempting to pick up this stateside 228i instead and save another 4 grand. The only things I would be giving up are leather, CarPlay, and 5 HP. And, of course the delivery experience.
And you are buying a used car, rather than one you configured for yourself. (Why is someone selling a car with3k miles to CarMax?).

The ED experience is fantastic. I won't buy a car any other way. Is the experience (along with having a new car, CarPlay, leather, etc.) worth $4k? Only you know for sure. It would be to me.

Incidentally -- you also have the option of leasing the new car and taking advantage of some of the ED benefits that come with that too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And you are buying a used car, rather than one you configured for yourself. (Why is someone selling a car with3k miles to CarMax?).

The ED experience is fantastic. I won't buy a car any other way. Is the experience (along with having a new car, CarPlay, leather, etc.) worth $4k? Only you know for sure. It would be to me.

Incidentally -- you also have the option of leasing the new car and taking advantage of some of the ED benefits that come with that too.
Your European photo is gorgeous!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wouldn't bother with European Delivery if I was planning on just dropping the vehicle off. If you could work out your itinerary so that you had a couple of days with the car (take it over to Salzburg/Berchtesgaden) I would think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

What is your current itinerary? Is it Rome - Innsbruck - Munich? If so, you may consider dropping Innsbruck and going directly to Munich, picking up the car, and then driving around Bavaria for a few days. I recommend the Salzburg/Berchtesgaden area - beautiful and Salzburg was a much more interesting town than Innsbruck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you could work out your itinerary so that you had a couple of days with the car (take it over to Salzburg/Berchtesgaden) I would think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.
Thanks everyone for your comments. This is a good thought. I'm going to look into it.

I sat in the back seat of a coupe yesterday (I had previously only sat in back of a convertible - does it have a smaller back seat?) and now I feel differently about back seat space. I think the three of us could tool around just fine for a couple of days.

I know we can't do a 17th/18th delivery (those were my first two delivery date choices) but I might ask Adrian if they could possibly move it from the 23rd to the 22nd. Then I would have two full days in Bavaria at the end of our trip. That probably knocks Tuscany off our list, but that's okay.

I still want to do the train to Innsbruck, Trento and Verona... I think that's the most relaxing way to to see that territory - and saves the hassle of taking the car through three countries. Then, fast train to Rome (Mom really wants to see; it was the original purpose for this trip) and probably a night train or flight back to Munich. If we come back on the 22nd, we'll have two days with the car.

It might work something like this.

Aug 17 Wed land, take train to Innsbruck via Garmisch-Paterkirchen, overnight in Innsbruck
Aug 18 Thu explore Innsbruck, quick visit to Trento or Bolzen, overnight in Verona
Aug 19 Fri fast train to Rome - maybe squeeze in a lunch stop in Bologna or another nice town
Aug 20 Sat Rome
Aug 21 Sun Rome
Aug 22 Mon AM flight to Munich, visit Welt, pick up car, overnight either in Munich or in countryside, see a castle, fall in love with car, etc.
Aug 23 Tue drop off car late afternoon, taxi downtown and overnight in historic part of Munich (thinking this to avoid driving downtown)
Aug 24 Wed taxi to airport, fly home

·
Registered
322 Posts
Trip sounds good, but also sounds pretty exhausting, especially the first three days!

You are asking for opinions and I personally would not give up Tuscany for European Delivery, not would I give it up for Innsbruck and Verona unless they have some special meaning for you or your family. My wife and I just did a 10-day E.D. with stops in Innsbruck (overnight), Venice, Radda in Chianti (highly recommend!), Florence, with drop off in Nice. We felt rushed in some of our stops with all (except for Innsbruck) being two nights or more.

So a few questions:

- Why can you not do the 17th/18th? Is it because the Welt is full?
- Have you already purchased your tickets, or are you locked into Munich-in & Munich-out? If that is the case, I'd honestly drop Rome (do Venice or the Lakes district instead - perfect for August) on another trip. That is what we are doing - have already planned an 8-day Rome/Naples/Amalfi trip for next year.

Assuming you can do an open-jaw ticket, consider:

Aug 17th - Arrive, pickup car, spend evening touring downtown Munich. (Free overnight parking at the Welt)
Aug 18th - Depart Munich, drive to Verona via Brenner Pass - overnight in Verona
Aug 19th - Tour Verona in the morning, Find safe parking location (likely train station) for car - fast train to Rome
Aug 20th - Rome
Aug 21st - Rome
Aug 22nd - Depart Rome on morning fast train back to Verona, fetch car and head our for Nice. Enjoy the fabulous drive to Nice
Aug 23rd - Take the car out for some scenic drives (three corniches, col de Turini), drop off car
Aug 24th - Fly home from Nice

Alternatively, you could keep the car and spend time in Tuscany (I recommend Radda - it is beautiful) and hit up Florence in lieu of Rome.

If you are planning to stop in Innsbruck - I highly recommend the Hotel Nala, was one of our favorite hotels from the trip!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks so much for your comments.

I'll try to answer your questions. This is actually a "Rome trip." That's the city my mom has always wanted to see. But there was a big airfare sale last month on KLM/Delta, and I found business class tickets on sale to Munich for $1800 each, marked down from $4500.

I figured we would use the savings to fly or train to Rome.

Only after that, did the slightly insane but wonderful idea of buying a BMW pop into my head.

The business class sale is already over and we're locked into the tickets. To change dates, we'd need to give up business class or spend $11,000.

As far as the 17th and 18th, they were my first and second choices and apparently the Welt is full. Either that or they couldn't do an August build (necessary for my CarPlay option.)

Everything else about our trip is fluid. We could do Rome first, last, whatever. I will only say that my family members have been reading up on Innsbruck and got really excited about it. They feel like they've "seen" Tuscany, although our previous trip (which included Florence, Siena, and Cinque Terre) was brief.

I hear you on trying not to do too much. But they're in their 70s and I really think they'll enjoy the scenery of Tyrol on the train.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts