BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is a better 4 door family sedan than the 5er for any money? Something that has the best performance, engineering, size, safety, comfort, style - regardless of price. Probably the 535i and 550i would be the best cars in my book.

Perhaps the new Jaguar XF would be better, other than the reliability?

- The M5 is up there, but seems to be low on the comfort and drivability equation.
- The 7er and Benz S550 are too large (I only have a toddler and infant). Perhaps with teenagers.
- The Maserati Quattroporte would tug the heart strings, but is lower than BMW on the engineering side.
- The Bently Flying Spur is based on the VW Phaeton, whose suspension platform is not as good as the 5er?
- Aston Martin Rapide will also lack the engineering and refinement depth compared to BMWs (since most of the comments of current Aston's is that they are not as refined as Porsches).
- Any other contenders?

Potentially a better sedan than the 5er, price being no object, would be the Porsche Panamera? The ultimate SUV is arguably the Cayenne, so will the Panamera be the performance family sedan to drive?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Audi
MB
Nissan
Toyota

There are tons of great sedans on the market...depends on the status that you want I guess

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are tons of great sedans on the market...depends on the status that you want I guess
But which one is best - excluding status?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a better 4 door family sedan than the 5er for any money? Something that has the best performance, engineering, size, safety, comfort, style - regardless of price. Probably the 535i and 550i would be the best cars in my book.
If you add another requirement, that it should be Manual Transmission, then your choices are really very few (maybe none)?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Bently Flying Spur and Phaeton are not comparable to the 5. They are much larger and the Bently is faster, exceeding 200mph. Both are larger than the 7 and $$$$. Both accelerate to 60 in the 5 second range ( depending on powertrain) but, of course, cannot handle as nimbly as the 5 due to their size.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would consider an Audi S8, but no manual trans.... Don't really care for the Audi A6/S6. I don't think there IS another manual transmission sedan out there that I would consider. The closest one is the M3 sedan, but it's a bit cramped in the back seat.

·
17,965 Posts
The M5 is everything your 5-er is plus some. Don't know what you mean by low on drive-ability. You just want a grocery getter and infant mobile?
The Infinity M45 is ranked #1 in Consumer Reports' family/sports sedans.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You just want a grocery getter and infant mobile?
In a nutshell - yes. In our household, I do the school/daycare run.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts

Perhaps the new Jaguar XF would be better, other than the reliability?

- The M5 is up there, but seems to be low on the comfort and drivability equation.
- The 7er and Benz S550 are too large (I only have a toddler and infant). Perhaps with teenagers.
- The Maserati Quattroporte would tug the heart strings, but is lower than BMW on the engineering side.
- The Bently Flying Spur is based on the VW Phaeton, whose suspension platform is not as good as the 5er?
- Aston Martin Rapide will also lack the engineering and refinement depth compared to BMWs (since most of the comments of current Aston's is that they are not as refined as Porsches).
- Any other contenders?

Potentially a better sedan than the 5er, price being no object, would be the Porsche Panamera? The ultimate SUV is arguably the Cayenne, so will the Panamera be the performance family sedan to drive?
No.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should also add that the forthcoming BMW CS, 8 series may be a contender.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
There are certainly cheaper alternatives from Japan. $ is the biggest factor.

·
Giant Robot
608 Posts
M45, RS6, E55, RS4, Honda Accord, etc.

It all depends on what you want exactly. BMW has the lead in steering, handling, and mid-range (x35) engines. Volvo has awesome seats and eat up the miles easily. Infiniti is an overall bargain, especially since BMW dropped their residuals. Mercedes has the best high-end (AMG) engines. Audi has the best interiors. From a practical point of view, we should all be driving Accords.

If you took price out of it, I'd be driving an E55 wagon.

·
17,965 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get a Camry.
What's better than the Camry if you don't consider the cost as a family sedan? I rented the current one once, and while a very competent car (I'm sure Toyota invested billions into the engineering of it), the only thing I liked better was the ride and nav system. Though I prefer the ride/handling compromise of the 5er - personally.

I'm just wondering what is a better car than the 5er for my own personal needs. Many thanks to all for the suggestions. My intentions - my next vehicle of course.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Accord > Camry.

For a family hauler, I'd like to have a small van with an efficient I4 with turbo, seats 6 and smaller than the Odyssey.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 43 Posts