BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing compact spare listing having a note not compatible with M brake or something. Thanks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a bummer. I really can't afford using it only for around town and to and from track :tsk:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Had my new "mini" spare delivered this weekend. It was physically bigger than I expected but that itself is not a bad thing. In the event I need it, the car should drive better. It's too big to put behind the front seat on a trip. Fits in the trunk okay but of course doesn't leave much room for bags that now have to go in the back seat. The convertible partition still closes fine so I can drive top down without any hassles. The quality looks good and the jack it is OEM BMW. The tire comes with an aluminum spacer for the front wheels so as to clear the caliper. Here are some pictures with the tire in the trunk.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
The question is - If you have to mount the donut spare where do you put the full size tire?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same question.

My new M4 is on a ship headed across the atlantic and I'm also looking at my options concerning a spare tire. The bimmerzone kit looks like the way to go as i didn't opt for the ceramic brakes. But, will the smoking, shredded, messy, 20" wheel and tire i just removed fit in the trunk?

Anybody know?

Driving around NJ in my Audi S4 (with full size spare) i've averaged one tire change every 18 months over the past 10 years. I imagine this car will be similar.

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
From what I read the spare is 1/2 smaller diameter than the stock tire diameter. I've got the factory 19's on my car. A tire 1 inch larger would still fit. There is always the back seat...

Glenn

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was considering the donut spare but it is really too expensive for what you get. I got a single tire/wheel from tire rack for $240 including mount balance and shipping. Certified to fit front or rear.

That way I can travel normal road speeds. Most flats are punctures so I have used plugs twice with success, one in the mini van and the other on a M PS 2. Even in high performance tires LOL, a plug held for the rest of that tires life, which is not very long anyway LOL.

The donut does not save much trunk space. So for travel it will be perfect. I use a snow tire/wheel for long trips in my RS6 too, I have never tried to inflate the inflatable spare the car came with LOL. (In winter I use the summer tire/wheel). As fare as putting a dirty tire in the trunk! Big deal, that is what large trash bags are for. LOL.

Vincent at Bimmerzone is very nice and very helpful. He told me they sold the last one for the M3/M4 but are getting more next week. So if you want one, get it soon.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was considering the donut spare but it is really too expensive for what you get. I got a single tire/wheel from tire rack for $240 including mount balance and shipping. Certified to fit front or rear.

That way I can travel normal road speeds. Most flats are punctures so I have used plugs twice with success, one in the mini van and the other on a M PS 2. Even in high performance tires LOL, a plug held for the rest of that tires life, which is not very long anyway LOL.

The donut does not save much trunk space. So for travel it will be perfect. I use a snow tire/wheel for long trips in my RS6 too, I have never tried to inflate the inflatable spare the car came with LOL. (In winter I use the summer tire/wheel). As fare as putting a dirty tire in the trunk! Big deal, that is what large trash bags are for. LOL.

Vincent at Bimmerzone is very nice and very helpful. He told me they sold the last one for the M3/M4 but are getting more next week. So if you want one, get it soon.

Mike

·
Registered
10,931 Posts

Mike
A large Samsonite suit case fits on top of a mini-spare in the trunk of an F10, barely. Having a mini-spare was critical to me buying an F10. (If I get a flat on a road trip, the suitcase will have to go in the back seat.) I had a full size spare in my E46 M3 and it took up most of the trunk.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, I know the trunk is small, but for long trips with this car I'd be traveling alone, so plenty of room for my luggage in the back seat. LOL. The Q7 moves the family around with plenty of room for luggage. I don't mind going on trips between places I have traveled well without a spare since I know where stops are and BMW dealers, etc. I would not want to be somewhere unfamiliar without a spare of some kind. I assume the inflating device and sealant are reliable or some lawyers would have chewed a piece out of BMW's butt by now. Overall having a real spare is nicer. Maybe I can mount it on the top of the trunk, old school.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Spare....done..

I got my spare today, mounted it up front and took it for a ride, clears brake and turning.

Waiting on my jack from Bimmerzone. You'd think it would be an item the dealer would have in stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
I got my spare today, mounted it up front and took it for a ride, clears brake and turning.

Waiting on my jack from Bimmerzone. You'd think it would be an item the dealer would have in stock.
You might want to do a fit check on the back, since the fronts and back wheels likely have different offsets.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, was planning on doing that today. Did quick fit check for front after spending 5 hours spreading top soil. Those wheels get heavier as the day grows longer. But since the FEDEX guy had just brought the new 'toy' I had to play with it.

Mike

(tirerack certified the fit, so I am not worried, those TR guys only drive BMWs and they have every model (JK).)

·
Registered
159 Posts

Mike
Carrying the plug kit is a great idea. I would just add a pair of small diagonal cutters (cutting pliers) to the arsenal for pulling the object out of the tire before being able to plug.
Glenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thankfully tire technology has evolved to the point it's pretty rare to have a blow out of a tire unless you live in older cities. Still it would be nice to have a proper spare with the appropriate tools to change out a wheel if your in the sticks. The extra weight and cost would not bother me

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mike, I like your idea. I'm going to do the same as well. But I'll only have it on board when doing long distance road trips. This way it's a proper tire, not just a doughnut. We are blessed to live in such a beautiful and diverse nation!

·
Registered
258 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts