BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1999 323i BMW and apparently my battery went out. I can't get to the battery because there is no power to unlock the entire car and plus the key whole on the trunk is messed up so now i can't even get to the battery. Is there a regular trunk latch like most cars have that i can use to pop my trunk open.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
noy559 said:
I have 1999 323i BMW and apparently my battery went out. I can't get to the battery because there is no power to unlock the entire car and plus the key whole on the trunk is messed up so now i can't even get to the battery. Is there a regular trunk latch like most cars have that i can use to pop my trunk open.
Can you manually unlock the driver's door and pop the hood? If so, there should be a battery terminal in the engine compartment (used for jump-starting the car). You could use that to jump-start the car, and then the electric trunk release should work.

Or... If you have folding rear seats, you could get into the trunk that way and use the emergency release (if 1999 models have it) to manually open the trunk.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
noy559 said:
If you can gain access to the interior, you can use the hood release (it's mechanical not electric) to gain access to the engine bay. Under the hood you will find two terminals (+/-) that you can use to jump-start the car (look in the manual for a description and exact location). Once the car has been started you can then gain access to the trunk and replace the battery if needed.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
Can you manually unlock the driver's door and pop the hood? If so, there should be a battery terminal in the engine compartment (used for jump-starting the car). You could use that to jump-start the car, and then the electric trunk release should work.

Or... If you have folding rear seats, you could get into the trunk that way and use the emergency release (if 1999 models have it) to manually open the trunk.
:mad: beat me to it

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
noy559 said:
I apologise in advance BUT Does anybody else suspect that the battery is dead because the ignition column has been "stripped"? :dunno: Goes along with the lock cylinder in the trunk
being "messed up". :dunno: Again I apologise for my paranoia.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,675 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
Umm, on my '05 330i, the folding seat release levers are in the trunk so there's no way to release them from the cabin...

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
markl53 said:
Umm, on my '05 330i, the folding seat release levers are in the trunk so there's no way to release them from the cabin...
Bummer. In the wagon the releases are on the top of the seat backs. :dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.