BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area (NYC) where there are plenty of potholes and they are unavoidable. My 6 month old 750LiX has now required 8 new 19" Goodyear run flats (hit a pothole; the tire bubbles.) Is there a better choice? There's no way that this is how it's supposed to work. My last 750Li, which did not have run flats, never had a bubble; the tires lasted forever.

There has to be some solution; no one arond here could buy this car if there wasn't.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had my old 745li in Brooklyn for a bit. I hit a pothole on the BQE and both right tires blew out. I had Pirelli P-Zero (non run flats) at the time. The pot holes in New York are as dangerous as they are plentiful. My friend has an E46 M3 and he also goes through tires very often.

I have P Zero run flats on my current 7er and I just had a flat due to a pot hole. Did you buy the wheel and tire insurance?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Offhand, I would say that tyre damage under this circumstance largely depends on sidewall depth/size (for example, low-profile 20s" versus "standard" 18s"), depth/size of the pothole, and the weight and velocity/speed of the car when the wheel and tyre comes into contact with the pothole. Basically, low-profile tyres are more apted to sustain damage from bad road surfaces; however, there's no magic tyre that can always survive striking a pothole. In my opinion, the best protections are watchful and careful spring-time driving on unfamiliar roads and road hazard insurance for wheels and tyres.:eek:

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
I live in an area (NYC) where there are plenty of potholes and they are unavoidable. My 6 month old 750LiX has now required 8 new 19" Goodyear run flats (hit a pothole; the tire bubbles.) Is there a better choice? There's no way that this is how it's supposed to work. My last 750Li, which did not have run flats, never had a bubble; the tires lasted forever.

There has to be some solution; no one arond here could buy this car if there wasn't.
Eight tires in 6 months? Seriously? If I were you I'd look into buying a truck.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I've had horrid experiences with Pirelli and Michelin with them bubbling up very easily. I can say that I haven't had a problem with Continental and Bridgestone tires though. (all on the same car with the BQE and LIE)

Suggestions, try keeping the psi around 35 cold. Also stick with non-runflats, they can absorb and deflect quite a bit more than their solid counterparts. Plus you'll have a much better ride and handling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
tire trouble

I replaced three tires in the first 1400 miles of ownership. I had horrible experience with goodyear tires, as did many other BMW owners. I switched to Pirelli in hopes of a better experience, as that is the only other choice for run flat tires in my size. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also had the bubbles with the Goodyear junk. For the winter I used Pirelli Stottorozeros 20, RFTs, smooth ride, no bubbles. For the summer have PZEROs non RFT. Ordered the Conti inflation kit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the club. If all i did was kill tires I would be happy its the bent rims that bother me. The only thing that could help you is moving

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can only commiserate.
I have owned several vehicles with low profile tires, most recently Audi A and S8's plus a handful of A and S4's and 5's again with low profile tires. I think I have lost one or two tires at most to pothole damage here in Chicago.
My BMW is 4 months old and has run most of the winter on a dedicated winter tire set. Last week I had to replace a front (Goodyear 20 inch runflat) due to a bubble. No rim damage, not a chip, not a slight bend, nothing.
Are we all sure that these are coming from potholes and are not manufacturing defects? There seem to be a lot of people with bubbles, rather too many for this to be a coincidence. Just a thought.
Whatever, do not get one of these cars without the insurance. I bought the tire rim / windshield / ding package for ~$1100. Looks like the best decision I made!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Why doesn't the Alpina B7 use run flat tires? Do run flat tires weight more?

Otherwise, will placing a small spare in the trunk hurt our already horrendous MPG's?

I totally 'get' the new Jeep Grand Cherokee commercial that boasts of best in class range...

·
SWB3
282 Posts

Otherwise, will placing a small spare in the trunk hurt our already horrendous MPG's?

I totally 'get' the new Jeep Grand Cherokee commercial that boasts of best in class range...
I suspect it is because the Alpina's are 21 inch and the demand for this size in run flats is not high enough. I do not know the weight but suspect they weight more(run flats).

From what I have been reading I think BMW needs to offer a New York pothole wheel and tire package, forklift hard rubber tires or maybe flotation tires. I think roads in Minnesota suck, but I am obviously spoiled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would like to ask the question from another perspective which is why cant the tire companies design a low profile tire with a sidewall that wont rupture
these tires are $500 a pop, i suspect they have no incentive to do so

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I have the solution for your problems. Rather than driving your car with the seat all the way back like your lounging, sit like your driving a car. Having complete vision of the road will help you be more vigilant i'n avoiding potholes. When I bought my car within the first 2 weeks I was still suffering from the "lounging syndrome". I learned to sit right and knock on wood I haven't had a flat from a pothole. I live in nj and commute 100 miles a day between hospitals all over new York with some horrific potholes and I'm managing quite well. I see some drivers who sit i'n a way that seems that they removed their front seat and are sitting in the rear. I don't mean to come across as sarcastic. Just some advice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the solution for your problems. Rather than driving your car with the seat all the way back like your lounging, sit like your driving a car...
I take your suggestion in the spriit offered, but I'm not looking for a solution that requires me to be on 24/7 pothole alert for life. It's easier to just buy a different car.

Sounds like people think the run flats are a likely source of the problem and I would gladly switch away from them, but BMW provides no spare and I'm spooked by the thought of being far from home with a flat and no spare.

I like my car, but given what I know now, I wouldn't buy another one. Any chance BMW gets the message and starts putting in a spare or finds a tire that can withstand minor stresses?

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
I take your suggestion in the spriit offered, but I'm not looking for a solution that requires me to be on 24/7 pothole alert for life. It's easier to just buy a different car.

Sounds like people think the run flats are a likely source of the problem and I would gladly switch away from them, but BMW provides no spare and I'm spooked by the thought of being far from home with a flat and no spare.

I like my car, but given what I know now, I wouldn't buy another one. Any chance BMW gets the message and starts putting in a spare or finds a tire that can withstand minor stresses?
What about a mini-spare like that included with so many new cars these days? Has anyone switched from runflats and purchased an acceptable mini-spare?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts

RFT tires in 21's are not all that common so it would be hard to source some for the factory, let alone the consumer. As well RFT tires are a bit heavier than standard tires.

The goodyear Excellence Runflats that are factory weight:
Front: 32lbs
Rear: 37 lbs

The Pirelli Rosso Non-runflats weigh:
Front:29 lbs
Rear: 30 lbs

The Pirelli PZero RFT weigh
Front: 32 lbs
Rear: 35 lbs

As you can see it's only a few pounds heavier, but you have to remember weight added onto rotational mass makes a HUGE difference! Loosing a couple of pounds per wheel/rim can make a HUGE performance change in the car. Better handling, braking, acceleration and fuel consumption. Adding a spare will probably consume less fuel than having the RFT tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about a mini-spare like that included with so many new cars these days? Has anyone switched from runflats and purchased an acceptable mini-spare?
Hello I am new to the board and just purchased a 2011 740li and I have the same question as above.

For those that have taken the runflats off like I plan to do this weekend replacing them with the Pilots A/S... what are you doing about a spare?

If you have found a mini spare that works can you give details as I and maybe others would like to purchase one.

Also have any of you have any issues with the TPMS on the car after the new non runflats are installed? Anything special I need to be aware of?

Thanks

EDIT: FYI- for anyone that just purcased their car and it came with the goodyear runflats Goodyear will charge about a $100 for road hazard insurance, so not to bad if you want to wait til summer is over to replace the tires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The tri-state roads are horrible. I own an 08 S550 and i bend a wheel almost every month. You can't avoid the potholes becsuse they are all over and in every single lane. Even the highways has potholes that could swallow your wheels

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have the 20" wheels and have some questions.

is it possible to bend a rim without getting a tire bubble?

how can you tell if you have a bent rim if the rim doesnt look bent?

how do dealers check for bent rims?

if i suspect a bent rim would the dealer check same free of charge?

are alignments necessary after getting a tire bubble? how about after getting a bent rim?

and, if necessary, does the bmw protection wheel and tire insurance plan cover alignments?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts