BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to put city lights in the e46?? Like on Lexus and Mercedes??? I would like the halogen day time running light to stay on (in their low intensity mode) during the night when the Xenons are on as well. I saw a Lexus GS450 and a Mercedes E320 last night and both have these. I know that the headlight switch in a mercedes allows you to contol the city lights seperately but I would be happy with them staying on at night when I switch on the xenons. There is a small hole on the halogen side headlight when it appears that a "city bulb" would poke through. And I'm almost positive I have seen a e46 coupe around with both his xenons AND daytime halogens on at night.
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also curious to know if this can be done.
Also, if you switch off the DRLs, what use would you have for those halogen lights?

·
Registered
546 Posts
2k2_xi said:

Also, if you switch off the DRLs, what use would you have for those halogen lights?
It is my understanding that the halogens are used for flashing your brights. Even though you have bi-xenon lights, the "flash-to-pass" features uses the halogens as xenons take time to warm up and turning them on and off in rapid succession causes strain to the bulb.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is correct. I asked my dealer about the set up and he said, the halogens are used for the "pass" flash. pull toward you on the blinker talk and the halogen turn on push away and the xenon high bams come on. This is due to the fact that quick flashing of the xenons would create stress on the bulb.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
look closely and you will see a hole on the halogen side (inner one) of the headlight in the bell of the reflector towards the top. This is where I believe the city light goes on Europen spec cars. Anyone from Europ who could explain????:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Check with JonM. Search the .org archives. He put city lights on, ahem, Vicky's car two years ago.

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see thats what I like the fine subtle touches that most car companies are starting to leave out. ex. lit door handles for night time exit... city lights for fog... gauges for important things like oil temp and amps. I would really like to put city lights in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts