BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a repair manual that you guys recommend for the newbie owner who wants to start learning how take care of his car or just use this forum? It seems that I could probably find most anything I needed to know on this forum but I was wondering what you guys do. Is this where you get your knowledge from or is there something else out there?

I just recently purchased a 2003 530i sport with 100k.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Is there a repair manual that you guys recommend for the newbie owner who wants to start learning how take care of his car or just use this forum? It seems that I could probably find most anything I needed to know on this forum but I was wondering what you guys do. Is this where you get your knowledge from or is there something else out there?

I just recently purchased a 2003 530i sport with 100k.

Thanks in advance
Basically, there are three sources.

1. This, or other BMW forums.

2. The Bentley Service Manuals

3. BMW TIS software that you can buy a copy at eBay.

I have the Bentley manuals and I hardly used it. When I tried to use it, the information was incomplete or not for my model.

All the information you need is on the internet somewhere. There is a DIY forum right here, if you look at the forum directories.

The best "written" manual is the TIS.

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there a repair manual that you guys recommend for the newbie owner who wants to start learning how take care of his car or just use this forum?
Honestly, I've worked on E30, E36, E46 and now my E39. I have the Bentley's and the Hayes manuals and most of the TIS bulletins - NONE of them compare to the help you receive from these forums.

That being said, they are handy references to have and definitely not a waste of money.

Cheers... Glenn

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I agree with everything said.
I have both Bentleys - and I rarely use them.
I think the DIYs here are the best.
And, while spaghetti apparently has the TIS, and there is a WDS site, I can never seem to figure 'em out.

The wiki has a lot (thanks to bmw_n00b13 and others); and the bestlinks that Chivas started is updated daily (ask me how I know) with new links and new summaries.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I just realized, that picture was taken not long ago when the bestlinks had roughly 110K views. Now it has 130K views.

So, 'somebody' (besides me) must be going there and looking at 'em!

:)

PS: Ask any question and I'll strive to see if the bestlinks already has an answer (and no, "Does the BMW E39 eat peanut butter" is not a valid question!).

·
Registered
477 Posts
The grass is NOT greener on the other side. I found this forum to be one of the best and most comprehensive DIY sources out there. The photos submitted by the members are extremely helpful.

On another note, I have to keep singing the praises of the Bimmerfest forum. My girlfriend has an Infiniti, and the forums for that aren't as comprehensive as ours here. Some of the DIY's are as bad as the crap on eHow.

They seldom have photos and read like (I'm exaggerating, but not by much)

2) disconnect o2 sensor connector.
3) unscrew o2 connector.
4) screw in new one o2 sensor.
5) connect new o2 sensor connector.

Took me 30 minutes just to figure out which wires went where.:tsk:

The info provided here is extremely helpful, as well as the experience of the members that contribute to the forum.

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Fest and Bentleys

I always do both...the guys here are the best documenters in the world. But to read the official way before the realworld way is good planning IMHO...plus it will give you background and some insight...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts