BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the first modifications I would like to do on this X3 are the brakes. The factory brakes may be "suitable" however "suitable" does not cut it for me. I am aware that just replacing the rubber lines with SS lines will improve pedal feel BUT I am looking to upgrade the calipers with OEM parts. When i try searching it yields no results that I have been able to find.

Here is an example of what i mean. On my e34 535 the brakes were not to my liking, they felt soft and did not stop the vehicle as well as I had liked, this was after replacing the rubber lines with SS lines. After a quick search I was able to find that the 540i brakes which had much better stopping power and were essentially a very simple swap.(If you're curious, all you do is replace the caliper/pads/rotors with that of the 540 and voila you now have a pretty cheap and effective OEM brake upgrade). On the e36 m3 you can use the 135 calipers/pads/rotors with some slight modifications.

I'm wondering if the e53 x5 rotors and calipers cross over, or if e90 (maybe e46 m3??) rotors and calipers cross over, maybe a later model x3 ? At this point, just short of doing actual math I will follow any lead. I have not driven the X3 yet, so Im sure there will be someone posting about how good they are, and that is fine, I'm pretty sure I wont be happy lol. :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of the first modifications I would like to do on this X3 are the brakes. The factory brakes may be "suitable" however "suitable" does not cut it for me. I am aware that just replacing the rubber lines with SS lines will improve pedal feel BUT I am looking to upgrade the calipers with OEM parts. When i try searching it yields no results that I have been able to find.

Here is an example of what i mean. On my e34 535 the brakes were not to my liking, they felt soft and did not stop the vehicle as well as I had liked, this was after replacing the rubber lines with SS lines. After a quick search I was able to find that the 540i brakes which had much better stopping power and were essentially a very simple swap.(If you're curious, all you do is replace the caliper/pads/rotors with that of the 540 and voila you now have a pretty cheap and effective OEM brake upgrade). On the e36 m3 you can use the 135 calipers/pads/rotors with some slight modifications.

I'm wondering if the e53 x5 rotors and calipers cross over, or if e90 (maybe e46 m3??) rotors and calipers cross over, maybe a later model x3 ? At this point, just short of doing actual math I will follow any lead. I have not driven the X3 yet, so Im sure there will be someone posting about how good they are, and that is fine, I'm pretty sure I wont be happy lol. :dunno:

Thanks in advance.
Already predetermining you won't be happy is a poor way to go into purchasing a model new to you. I would say this pretend you didn't write that above post. Discard all other car purchase/experiences and judge this X3 on its own merit. I own a E83 M sport 06 I'm not sure if the m sport had brake up grades as well as suspension, exhaust, and wheels but I thought brake power to be good and that's with them at the tail end of their life. these just came from e Bay. 170 for front and back rotors with ceramic pads. We'll see if drilled and slotted make a noticeable difference.
20190130_204056.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,516 Posts
Not much of anything you can do to "enhance the cars performance I've found. Just buy quality parts and fluids. I've been through the cone filter...a waist. I do like the performance k&n air and oil filters...probably just in my head. done the drilled,slotted rotors...basically for show (wish I had those originals back) BMW put drilled rotors on the 06 from the factory...no biggie...from my research basically the benefit of the drilled and slotted is moving the water out in the rain! got good break pads... ceramic...really pleased with that, very low break dust. got the top of the line spark plugs (iridium on the 05)...good for longevity. In two cars (04 and 05) I switched out the interior bulbs...in the 06 I kept the original bulbs...I prefer the 06 originals. the others flicker from time to time . I've got standard coils on the 06 and the upgraded all black ones on the 05...I see nothing startling there. The best oil I've been ecstatic about is that damn Pentosen 5w 30 the car loved it! I got the feeling it could have lasted 20k miles to be honest. Did my research on liquidmoly...never tried it but I think it could give Pentosen a run for its money!***129315;
Tires are important! Good quality tires is a must! However, on the 05 i use Sunfall...never heard of them...I researched them...not expensive. But I would buy them again!...last I knew, Pep Boys is a seller. Basically I go with Perellie. Use good gas, any long trips I use the simple STP gas treatment. I wouldn't try doing the duel exhaust...the thing is, the BMW is so fine tuned and specific and electronic...that one takes a greater chance fouling things up...I've found that one alteration can disturb something else that was once completely fine. Once I installed an aftermarket MAF sensor instantly shifting the gears and the transmission became tight and sluggish...I removed the MAF just as fast!
There are other examples others can tell you too....I don't need to make problems for myself because the car will give me enough to tend to on its own...good car but, they have to be tended to....I have three...I ve come to view the experience this far and liken it to having triplets...whatever, I do for one...best I do for the others

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slotted rotors or drilled rotors done really do anything unless its a track car, in my experience. I am going to start some research into seeing what if any slightly larger OEM calipers will cross over. I'm pretty much on the same page as you with most of what you've said, except pirelli tires, i dislike them and Continentals. Currently Im running Presa Tires on my e34 and they aren't that bad to be honest. One of the first things im going to do is swap out sway bars for handling purposes. Suspension I'm more then likely going to go with either eibachs or h&rs, but i will go with koni's. Depending on how low I go I may consider rear camber plates just to get the negative camber back into spec because I do not want to start chewing through tires.

I understand that from a power perspective this car is really limited with tweaks, but the handing and stopping are things I feel like can tweak to improve.

Thank you for the replys :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Slotted rotors or drilled rotors done really do anything unless its a track car, in my experience. I am going to start some research into seeing what if any slightly larger OEM calipers will cross over. I'm pretty much on the same page as you with most of what you've said, except pirelli tires, i dislike them and Continentals. Currently Im running Presa Tires on my e34 and they aren't that bad to be honest. One of the first things im going to do is swap out sway bars for handling purposes. Suspension I'm more then likely going to go with either eibachs or h&rs, but i will go with koni's. Depending on how low I go I may consider rear camber plates just to get the negative camber back into spec because I do not want to start chewing through tires.

I understand that from a power perspective this car is really limited with tweaks, but the handing and stopping are things I feel like can tweak to improve.

Thank you for the replys :)
Well if you have money the options for power are the supercharger kit or turbo kit each run about 5 large respectively. Pretty sure you'd have to modify the engine though IE: fuel injectors , piston boring I'm just guessing here but the supercharger is what I would get since your power comes as soon as you hit the pedal. Just a thought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if you have money the options for power are the supercharger kit or turbo kit each run about 5 large respectively. Pretty sure you'd have to modify the engine though IE: fuel injectors , piston boring I'm just guessing here but the supercharger is what I would get since your power comes as soon as you hit the pedal. Just a thought.

At that point though it would be cheaper to just get an x5, or hell and audi SQ5, or just swap in an N54.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I didn't read all the responses, but I'll say this - the E83 has the best brakes of any car that I've owned, comparable to my E46 M3 (which had new OEM pads and rotors).
Now, I know that's a pretty bolt statement, so I'll elaborate:

When I purchased the E83 in fall of last year, it was supposed to simply be a winter daily driver.
Previous owner had it sitting for probably close to a year, it had flat tires, no e-brake, and almost completely seized rear brakes.

First order of operations was a complete braking overhaul - At the time, I didn't even bother salvaging the almost new front rotors and pads. It braked like crap.
I rebuilt the rear calipers, flushed the entire system with ATE-TYP200 fluid, and installed new rotors and semi-metallic pads from MaxBrakes.com

Again, since this car was supposed to be my winter run around car, I didn't want to go overboard with costs - especially since it only cost $2,000 CAD.
The pads and rotors only cost $220 CAD shipped, and let me tell you - they are fantastic!

Pedal feel & response is instant, and braking performance is extremely good - As soon as I apply maybe even 1/4 force on the pedal, the brakes grab really well.
My advice is to ALWAYS stay away from ceramic pads if you want good bite and pedal feel, and if you drive in the cold. Go semi-metallic all the way. The extra brake dust is worth it.

I am honestly impressed by this kit, and I have no affiliation with the company. Here are the options for our cars: https://maxbrakes.com/c-928987-brake-kits.html
Make sure your original system is up to par before rushing to replace the OEM braking parts.

·
Anti-Hack
4,917 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors on a daily driver actually diminish stopping ability by reducing friction surface area.

If you want to have good pedal feel and stopping, new, OEM rotors pads and calipers will do the trick. E83 chassis is much newer than E34. New OEM parts will be definite upgrade from whatever's on it now.

If you want better braking and handling, don't drive a top heavy grocery getter and get an E90 wagon; cheaper than going down the rabbit hole of suspension tuning on an SUV. I'm just guessing, but E83 rotors are probably larger diameter than E90 anyway, due to it being heavier, and would probably need their bolt holes drilled out; E46 and E83 use different size wheel bolts, E83 being larger diameter. E53 *may* have a different wheel bolt pattern, I don't know.

Just remember than every action you take has another action you may not have foresaw. If not planned right, simply lowering a vehicle can worse it's handling as you've now changed the relationship between center of mass and vehicle roll center. Stiffening a rear sway bar can lead to unexpected oversteer, or thickening a front bar to understeer. Stiffer springs/shocks mean tires have less contact to the road over broken/rough pavement...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just remember than every action you take has another action you may not have foresaw. If not planned right, simply lowering a vehicle can worse it's handling as you've now changed the relationship between center of mass and vehicle roll center. Stiffening a rear sway bar can lead to unexpected oversteer, or thickening a front bar to understeer. Stiffer springs/shocks mean tires have less contact to the road over broken/rough pavement...
I'm definitely aware, Im not lowering the car without doing camber plates in the rear, BMW already cranks the neg camber up in most of their cars from factory, once you lower a car negative camber is definitely effected, as well as toe etc etc. When I have a second I was planning on looking into e53 calipers since the x5 is a heavier vehicle, it may be a direct swap over I hope. I just paid for the X3 today, going to go collect it next weekend hopefully.

·
Anti-Hack
4,917 Posts
Camber effects contact patch, not roll center. That is determined by the relationship between lengths and travel arcs of the control arms, strut angle, etc.

E53 has larger rotors, therefore different calipers.

Pick up the car and drive it and see how it stops. With factory pads and rotors, it stops more than adequately for any situation you'd ever encounter . If you want to go down the rabbit hole of merry guesswork so be it, but modding a grocery getting SUV is almost as cool as modding a minivan, chrome hubcaps included.
Save your money for the $3000 in maintenance and hidden repairs the car will actually NEED immediately before you try and improve what doesn't need improving.

If anything, you can try ceramic pads or a higher performing set of pads by Akebono or Hawk. I'm using Pagid pads and have no need to stop any better.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I put drilled and slotted on mine. Why? I live in Florida with high temps and high speeds....and alot of stop and go. If it improved my braking distance in those conditions even 5% (which wouldnt even be noticeable to my foot), it may prevent that one accident I could have avoided had I been able to stop a few feet sooner. Beyond that, they do look "cooler" but I personally dont care much about the little that can be seen behind the stock rim. I find just keeping this bad boy "par" is enough of a challenge let alone finding upgrades that will matter. With my Mustang it felt like it was designed for upgrades and mods both bolt on and the rest. This vehicle just feels "maxed out" within sensible range the way it is. I almost feel like with the way the entire system of the car is concerned that making any upgrade that would substantiate real gain would throw something else off and end up in a mess if that makes sense. Upgraded wipers or headlights....cosmetics is one thing but Im just not sure about getting deep in with anything on this beast. I could only imagine putting MAC LTs on a car like this.....omg, it would be a nightmare from O2 sensor distances, programming, back pressure issues, making it simply "fit"...makes me cringe.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The car use designed for use in EU.

US driving conditions are like milk runs compared to this car capabilities. If your E83 stock brakes aren't working, get them working. You will have less luck with mods if you can't even fix stock brakes,so learn that first.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The car use designed for use in EU.

US driving conditions are like milk runs compared to this car capabilities. If your E83 stock brakes aren't working, get them working. You will have less luck with mods if you can't even fix stock brakes,so learn that first.
Exactly.

I'd also like to remind people that the E83 front rotors are the same diameter as those from an E46 M3.
(And the rear rotors have an almost negligible difference in size)

Blank rotors + semi-metallic pads is the proper combo IMO.
My X3 stops on a dime.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have drilled rotors and ceramic pads on both Bimmers, after break in they work great, and virtually no dust. The rotors make no difference with our kind of driving but I like the look and the price difference is doable

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just did the fronts on the E83 , got 60k miles on the BMW brand semi metallic pads. Kudos to SWMBO for her driving prowess.

Kudos to BMW for the quality hardware and fittings on the front brakes, joy to work on.

I also pushed one reservoir of brake fluid through each caliper. Did not replace the bleed screws as they looked perfect, no rust.

Brake pads are free after the return FCP CREDIT!

75 minutes labor.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Already predetermining you won't be happy is a poor way to go into purchasing a model new to you. I would say this pretend you didn't write that above post. Discard all other car purchase/experiences and judge this X3 on its own merit. I own a E83 M sport 06 I'm not sure if the m sport had brake up grades as well as suspension, exhaust, and wheels but I thought brake power to be good and that's with them at the tail end of their life. these just came from e Bay. 170 for front and back rotors with ceramic pads. We'll see if drilled and slotted make a noticeable difference.
View attachment 838303

I'd be shocked if you're not disappointed with that set up. Every vehicle I've owned has stopped better and had better modulation with the OEM pads and rotors. On the foreign cars it's a relatively huge difference between pedal feel and stopping power with OEM vs. aftermarket anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts