BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is there any oem DVD solution?

1447 10
Is there any OEM DVD solution for an X with Nav and DSP?

Four weeks with the 4,4. Do i love it? YEeeeS.

Thanks From Sweden.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
If you are asking about one that works for displaying DVD videos on the Nav screen, no that is not offered by BMW :tsk:.

BMW does offer the DVD rear overhead entertainment system (http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=104), although I don't think it works with the Panoramic sunroof.

Also they have the DVD Rear Enertainment System that goes into the headrests - http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/Rear_Entertainment_System.pdf
Thanks,
Any price on the rest system?
Is there any after market solution thats simple to install on an nav, dsp and tv X?
UCrewX5 said:
If you are asking about one that works for displaying DVD videos on the Nav screen, no that is not offered by BMW :tsk:.

BMW does offer the DVD rear overhead entertainment system (http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=104), although I don't think it works with the Panoramic sunroof.

Also they have the DVD Rear Enertainment System that goes into the headrests - http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/Rear_Entertainment_System.pdf
tvonnav, plus a couple of others. look at the main page of www.x5world.com
Daniel B said:
Thanks,
Any price on the rest system?
Is there any after market solution thats simple to install on an nav, dsp and tv X?
Thanks

Yea i know x5world (great site) and tvonnav but i cant find anyone that have done it on an X with OEM Nav, OEM Tv-function and OEM DSP. got it all on my X.

Just wanna know if its anyway to connect an DVD player to that kind of system.

Thanks from Sweden.
vinu_neuro said:
tvonnav, plus a couple of others. look at the main page of www.x5world.com
Yes, see my write-up at http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=30

Drex (hdd3md) and I have basically the same setup and he has DSP and I don't. DSP makes no difference in this configuration.

The one thing you won't get is steering wheel control on the DVD player other then volume control
Daniel B said:
Thanks

Yea i know x5world (great site) and tvonnav but i cant find anyone that have done it on an X with OEM Nav, OEM Tv-function and OEM DSP. got it all on my X.

Just wanna know if its anyway to connect an DVD player to that kind of system.

Thanks from Sweden.
Thanks,

I think i will order the Module for Existing TV Tuners
cause i allready got the OEM TV Tuner.
Some last quest (i hope) does the Module for Existing TV Tuners got an audio and video connection for external DVD etc?
Does it got stereo sound?
Do i also need the extra AV Connection Cable?
Will i get an menu in the nav to select either TV or External video source?
Thanks again,
UCrewX5 said:
Yes, see my write-up at http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=30

Drex (hdd3md) and I have basically the same setup and he has DSP and I don't. DSP makes no difference in this configuration.

The one thing you won't get is steering wheel control on the DVD player other then volume control
Order the X5 extension harness and it will provide you the A/V connections you need.

The BMW TV module is mono. However, the TVonNav system allows you to watch the TV (or other video input) and switch the sound to an external audio source. What I do when I watch a DVD is route the DVD player's sound to the AUX input jack and that way it plays in stereo. Everything is controlled from the nav screen, too.

As for selection of TV or external video source, yes that is a feature of the TV module.
Daniel B said:
Thanks,

I think i will order the Module for Existing TV Tuners
cause i allready got the OEM TV Tuner.
Some last quest (i hope) does the Module for Existing TV Tuners got an audio and video connection for external DVD etc?
Does it got stereo sound?
Do i also need the extra AV Connection Cable?
Will i get an menu in the nav to select either TV or External video source?
Thanks again,
Thanks Ucrew!

You are quick and great :thumbup:

You say "Order the X5 extension harness" is that the only thing i need or should i also get the module with the video in motion ability,
I mean, what i cant get clear is will i have an extra option on the nav screen to select between TV an external video only with the cable harness for 49$ ?

Sorry for my (dumb :eek: quest)

Thanks again,
UCrewX5 said:
Order the X5 extension harness and it will provide you the A/V connections you need.

The BMW TV module is mono. However, the TVonNav system allows you to watch the TV (or other video input) and switch the sound to an external audio source. What I do when I watch a DVD is route the DVD player's sound to the AUX input jack and that way it plays in stereo. Everything is controlled from the nav screen, too.

As for selection of TV or external video source, yes that is a feature of the TV module.
The menu option to go between an external AV source or broadcast TV channels is built into the TV video module. You do not need the in-motion module to get this functionality.

However, the in-motion module does give you several additional benefits beyond just allowing the video to be on-screen while the vehicle is moving. It provides steering wheel control for changing channels and it also provides the ability to switch your audio to an external source. So if you want to listen to DVD's in stereo then you'll need that module to accomplish that.

What the harness is doing for you is giving you the external AV connections into the TV video module.
Daniel B said:
Thanks Ucrew!

You are quick and great :thumbup:

You say "Order the X5 extension harness" is that the only thing i need or should i also get the module with the video in motion ability,
I mean, what i cant get clear is will i have an extra option on the nav screen to select between TV an external video only with the cable harness for 49$ ?

Sorry for my (dumb :eek: quest)

Thanks again,
Thanks UCrew!

Now even this Swede got it clear, will order them both right now.
Once agai thank U :thumbup:
UCrewX5 said:
The menu option to go between an external AV source or broadcast TV channels is built into the TV video module. You do not need the in-motion module to get this functionality.

However, the in-motion module does give you several additional benefits beyond just allowing the video to be on-screen while the vehicle is moving. It provides steering wheel control for changing channels and it also provides the ability to switch your audio to an external source. So if you want to listen to DVD's in stereo then you'll need that module to accomplish that.

What the harness is doing for you is giving you the external AV connections into the TV video module.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.