Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking to buy an m3 e36 or e46 and then come by this auction with a beautiful 2000 e39 M5 with gorgeous interior. Im not that mechanically inclined but I can do some wrenching and my dad knows a thing or two about cars. My question is, is the damage so severe that I wouldnt be able to fix it and what would be the biggest problems putting it back together, the electricals, finding parts? Do you think judging from the pictures there is any frame, or integral parts damage. What would be a good price for it with 95,000 miles on the engine if i was to bid on it?

What would repair cost on this thing if I was to fix it on my own based on the pictures? Anyone with experience on this thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Replacing bolt on parts is relatively easy. Any chassis/frame damage would require a body shop to straighten out.

Then comes the bottom line: Is replacing parts, plus cost of car plus any body shop repair worth it over a comparable prices 2000 without such damage and clean title.

I'm assuming this car is salvage title though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing bolt on parts is relatively easy. Any chassis/frame damage would require a body shop to straighten out.

Then comes the bottom line: Is replacing parts, plus cost of car plus any body shop repair worth it over a comparable prices 2000 without such damage and clean title.

I'm assuming this car is salvage title though.
It is, but rught now its sitting at 3650, which is bound to change but i feel if i can get it for 6000, AND there is no chassis/frame damage it should be a good price no? ill likely get an inspector out there to take a look at it ahead of time before bidding so i know what im getting myself into

·
Registered
323 Posts
Might want to check with your state DMV regarding salvage titles, inspection requirements, and may include insurance limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
Any specific reason?
I just never was a fan of a salvage title automobile no matter what type. By the time youre done with a car needing this kind of work, it seems for close to the same or a bit more, you could have a clean title car. When the time comes to sell it, you will have the S title to contend with. Then insuring it is another possible pitfall.... Just an observation and my opinion I suppose...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-BMW-M...=item2153dbf49c:g:AeEAAOSwHDdcZD65:rk:43:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-BMW-3...=item1ccaa2c639:g:glIAAOSw0pJcb6aN:rk:23:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-BMW-M5/143138153371?hash=item2153b2e39b:g:~SkAAOSwO-pcVkzi:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/Salvage-title-car-insurance.aspx

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
New clutch at 52k !!! Musta been flogged unmercifully!!

Agree with Ultm8...

·
Registered
639 Posts
If it is an original M5, it may not be a very profitable or rewarding experience, but of all cars looking like that, the M5 is a valid bet. It has a cult following worldwide. It wouldnt seem dumb to me to try to flip it or just keep it. Its easy to talk about these things now, that they are plenty, but in 10 or more years people will be dreaming of finding one like this.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Besides the chassis does not look to have been affected, the impact appears to be above the bumper, might be hard to bring up to standard, but its not a "totalled" car, from what the photos show.

·
Registered
793 Posts
so im looking to buy an m3 e36 or e46 and then come by this auction with a beautiful 2000 e39 M5 with gorgeous interior. Im not that mechanically inclined but I can do some wrenching and my dad knows a thing or two about cars. My question is, is the damage so severe that I wouldnt be able to fix it and what would be the biggest problems putting it back together, the electricals, finding parts? Do you think judging from the pictures there is any frame, or integral parts damage. What would be a good price for it with 95,000 miles on the engine if i was to bid on it?

What would repair cost on this thing if I was to fix it on my own based on the pictures? Anyone with experience on this thanks for the help!
I think it's a futile exercise to make a judgement on damage based solely off pictures. When the car is disassembled, actual damage is revealed which can be surprisingly extensive. I have done this myself before. Having said that, the second picture clearly reveals that the chassis may be twisted, which may indicate damage in the drive train too. Unless you can take it apart and put it back together, stay away as this can morph into an expensive project. Consider other options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it's a futile exercise to make a judgement on damage based solely off pictures. When the car is disassembled, actual damage is revealed which can be surprisingly extensive. I have done this myself before. Having said that, the second picture clearly reveals that the chassis may be twisted, which may indicate damage in the drive train too. Unless you can take it apart and put it back together, stay away as this can morph into an expensive project. Consider other options.
After consideration and your inputs I think its best I take on a smaller project initially and leave this car be lol, thanks for all your suggestions

·
Registered
451 Posts
After consideration and your inputs I think its best I take on a smaller project initially and leave this car be lol, thanks for all your suggestions
If you were ready to spend 6 grand on this, there are a few nice 540 examples close to the $6k youre looking to spend... I see some nice ones on Ebay with a quick search... Good Luck on whatever you get...:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you were ready to spend 6 grand on this, there are a few nice 540 examples close to the $6k youre looking to spend... I see some nice ones on Ebay with a quick search... Good Luck on whatever you get...:thumbup:
The car MUST have a manual, and those arent easy to find, the automatics yea there's a good amount of them around. The manual is hard to find. Also if I'm getting a 540 with a V8 might as well go all the way and take the M5 and a big hole in my wallet, no?

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
The car MUST have a manual, and those arent easy to find, the automatics yea there's a good amount of them around. The manual is hard to find. Also if I'm getting a 540 with a V8 might as well go all the way and take the M5 and a big hole in my wallet, no?
So far, most opinions suggest stay away.

I think there's enough advice for and against posted so far.

There have been a few posts where people paid over $13K or even $54K for a 540!

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286128&page=3

In the end, you just have to determine how much damage it really has since no one can judge based on a few pictures and how much it's worth to YOU after all is said and done.

Even if you overspend, it might be a prove to be an invaluable learning experience

1 - 20 of 50 Posts