BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is this cosmoline?

2884 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Ilovemycar
Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Car Automotive exterior

If this is cosmoline how do I remove it? Quick detailer doesn't do the trick.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I had some cosmo drip from a rear handle and lower panel beneath the driver's door and used orange oil to remove it - I use the one from Griots but I'm sure any orange oil will work. Should re-apply protective wax or sealer as the orange oil removes what is there - I use Klasse, quick application/polish.
View attachment 339871

Thanks for the advice, sounds like it's going to be a bit of a PITA. I might just make the dealer do it (they already offered to re-detail the car for me for free due to another issue).
I was taught that this was cosmoline in my bay. It sure looks very different than your stuff. If I had to guess (and I've guessed wrong a million times), what you have is a remnant of a poor detailing effort.

I'd like to recommend (for the umpteenth time) 3M general purpose adhesive remover, available from a number of detailing places. It's not only what I used for cosmoline, but wheel weight gunk, side reflector gunk, and tar. Others use it to debadge as well. Once I realized what cosmoline looked like, I decimated it everywhere, even deep near the hinges at my doors. You would have a hard time finding a single spot now. :D

The typical way to use it is spray into a cloth (I use huck cloth for many things), and only spray directly on the spot if it's really serious. I discolored a little bit of a single small black plastic piece/plug/clip in the engine bay sill when I was going a bit too crazy with spraying directly (so much cosmoline). I've never discolored paint even when going bonkers, but I still recommend the more modest approach to start with.

Our sponsor here sells it too:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/3M-General-Adhesive-Cleaner-38983_p_272.html

Thanks for the advice, sounds like it's going to be a bit of a PITA. I might just make the dealer do it (they already offered to re-detail the car for me for free due to another issue).[/QUOTE
Let the dealer take care of it.I had some of that stuff on my head light lens and was afraid I'd scratsh it if I tried to remove it. I let the dealer do it and everything came out fine.Good luck
cheers
vern
Looks like wax to me. No reason for cosmoline there, and that's a dried wiped mark in it. Did you take a microfiber towel and lightly scrub it?
Yes. I scrubbed it a little more than lightly with a microfiber towel that was dampened with quick detailer. It would not even come off with some light fingernail action.
Kerosene should be able to remove cosmoline. But I am not sure that is cosmoline.

:drive:
Hard to be sure from the photo, but it doesn't look like cosmoline to me. Looks more like some sort of detailing residue. If it were me I'd try a bit of pre-wax polsh. I like Meguiar's products, but any good (paint) polish should do the job. Then of course wax it. I'll bet it comes right off. And you don't have to be concerned that the dealer's detail guys do some more damage by being heavy-handed.
View attachment 339871

It looks like an improperly used power buffer?
Hard to be sure from the photo, but it doesn't look like cosmoline to me. Looks more like some sort of detailing residue.
If it somehow happens to be either polish or wax, for household products you may have lying around, you could try a 50/50 dilution of IPA, but I'm not sure it's going to do anything here. YMMV, as some dried residues, even very fresh polish residues (such as Meguiar's most popular polishes) may require dedicated paint cleaners, something beyond an IPA wipedown.

If you trust their detailing dept (unlike myself) I guess that is the easiest route available to you. If your trust starts wavering, you could ask them what that residue is (I won't be terribly surprised if they can't even answer that for you), and once you have that information, post your question at a dedicated detailing forum that the pros frequent. You see, some polishes and/or waxes are much more difficult to remove than others.

If that is wax residue there, that is WAY too much. Many waxes need the very thinnest of layering, with overlapping machine strokes to guarantee coverage. For example a common technique with a liquid sealant is to get a very small bottle, say 1oz, fill it about halfway, and then use half of what's in there, for only about 1/3 oz or so for the entire car. You can add more layers after the first cure and wipe, etc. That pic would be mega gooped on right there. If it's a polish, well it's hard to imagine missing that before a wax. Maybe some sort of AIO? Maybe better ask the pros, there are a few very top ones that frequent the detailing dept here.
Yes. I scrubbed it a little more than lightly with a microfiber towel that was dampened with quick detailer. It would not even come off with some light fingernail action.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.