BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flight out of Munich is scheduled for 10:30 AM on Monday 3/22. I just read that Harms in Munich opens at 830AM...for some reason I thought they opened at 730AM like the ED center, but I gues I'm wrong. Would you advise going directly to Harms after I pick up the car and filling out all the paperwork and then drop the car off first thing in the morning on Monday, or possibly Sunday night (I've read that people have done that before...)? Is 2 hours going to be enough time to quick drop the car off and catch a train or cab to the airport and then have enough time to check in and such?? Or would you see about dropping it off on Sunday night, if possible?

bmills

· Registered
869 Posts
bmills313 said:
My flight out of Munich is scheduled for 10:30 AM on Monday 3/22. I just read that Harms in Munich opens at 830AM...for some reason I thought they opened at 730AM like the ED center, but I gues I'm wrong. Would you advise going directly to Harms after I pick up the car and filling out all the paperwork and then drop the car off first thing in the morning on Monday, or possibly Sunday night (I've read that people have done that before...)? Is 2 hours going to be enough time to quick drop the car off and catch a train or cab to the airport and then have enough time to check in and such?? Or would you see about dropping it off on Sunday night, if possible?

bmills
If you're going business class you might just make it, but IMO it's doubtful. Mondays can be difficult.

Of course, if your ticket is flexible you could try, and if you fail book yourself on the next day's flight...

· Grinning from ear to ear
2,052 Posts
Definitely go to Harms right after you pickup the car. It takes no more than 5 minutes, plus you'll know exactly where to go when time is tight. It's going to take a while from Harms if you need to take the Bus to the U-bahn station, then the U-bahn to the S-bahn, to the airport. Might consider spending a few extra bucks and get a cab. Harms can set it up so the cab is waiting for you when you arrive to drop off the car.

· Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,523 Posts
bmills313 said:

bmills
Though not exactly you situation but I dropped off my car in Nice, FR first thing in the morning having a 10:15 AM flight. I went the day before and let the Harms equivalent photocopy all my documentation. Going there the day before first thing in the morning also help with a sense of how long it would take to get the transport agent. When I came in the next morning all my paperwork was ready for me to sign and the only thing that needed to be done was the car inspection report. I was done in less than 10 minutes. My suggestion is that you take a cab to airport. Though it may be expensive that is not the time to be cheap. :D

· Registered
840 Posts
That is cutting it really close but if you get the paperwork taken care of before your drop off day you have a fighting chance. Its going to depend on traffic. Munich is a good airport; if you can make it there by 9:30 you should be OK. I'd definately reserve a taxi to pick you up right at 8:30. If you're planning to take the train you might as well rebook your flight now; I don't see how you could make it in time.

2,052 Posts
You also need to be careful because there are now I believe 3 different security checkpoints when going into the US. I was amazed at how many times they needed to look at my passport, or have me scan my bags. The good news is that these security checks are mostly only for your flight so you don't have to wait for 5000 other people to go through before you. I think we got to the airport maybe 45 minutes before takeoff and we were fine.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
Process the paperwork right after pickup and drop the car off on Sunday afternoon. Then go to the airport stress free on Monday.

When we last did ED back in 2000, we had a monday flight out of frankfurt. In any case, we got lost going to Harms, got stuck in the Monday morning traffic and had 45 mins to spare to get to our flight. We made it but it wasn't the way I planned our trip to end.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice and recommendations. Looks like I'll arrange with Harms to do the paperwork right after we pick up the car and then see about dropping it off in their lot on Sunday night so I can leave first thing in the morning, by cab, to the airport. A little over 2 weeks until I'm there! I can't wait!! Thanks, again, all. :thumbup:

BTW, how long before you all left for Germany did you receive the information packet from BMW for the ED? Just curious...

bmills

· Registered
1,156 Posts
bmills313 said:
BTW, how long before you all left for Germany did you receive the information packet from BMW for the ED? Just curious...
bmills
I still don't have anything from BMW. But I just filled out the ED Purchase order on Weds so I figure they don't send you anything until after they get that. I leave 2 weeks from this Weds.

· Registered
12 Posts
My Monday morning drop-off timeline

Here is the timeline for your reference:

My flight is 11:05 am.

Left Renaissance hotel around 6:50 am. On the A9 to EH Harms, the traffic was light, so just followed the traffic at about 50-60 mph. But the opposite traffic was much heavier.

Arrived at EH Harms at 7:05 am. To my surprise, Gerd was already there.

Signed the two documents, and removed the plate, first aid kit, etc.

Taxi came in around 7:40 am, and arrived at airport 8:10 am. The traffic on the autobahn was very light. Certainly, I had enough time to take train or Lufthansa bus to save some bucks, but since it was the first time, better to be safe than sorry. Besides, I needed some time to do some shopping at the airport.

Check-in took about 15 minutes. Did not take long either to go through the custom and security checkpoints.

I contacted Gerd in advance to arrange the drop-off. He said he would be in before 8:00 am usually.

As for the packet, I got mine 20 days before ED date.

Have a great trip!

· Registered
212 Posts
The ED packet is mailed from NJ about 5 days after BMWNA receive your signed PO. I received mine on the fifth day. Did call up BMWNA before I recd it. They have to send a copy of the PO to the delivery center who confirm that the car is there, get the tags and give the clearance to BMWNA.

BTW, how far or how much time does it take to reach from the delivery center to Harms?

· Registered
840 Posts
PittBMW said:
BTW, how far or how much time does it take to reach from the delivery center to Harms?
Its not far at all, just a couple exits away along the A9, maybe 10 minutes.

· Ultimate Driving Machine
2,272 Posts
PittBMW said:
Thanks.

Is the dealership in the same area/direction as Harms? I plan to pick up the rear reflectors at the dealership before heading out to the castles.
Why bother...its cheaper in the US, even if you pay full retail. However, I want to stop at the dealer just to look around as I hear its a pretty cool place. However, virtually everything can be had for cheaper in the US, especially if you buy from Crevier or Pacific BMW.

2,052 Posts
blackcab1 said:
What do you do with the plate and the first aid kit? Do you just remove the front plate or both?

Thanks.
Gerd came down to meet us by the car. He brought an cordless drill with him so he could take off the front plate for us. Just take the first aid kit and front plate with you in your baggage.

If you have NAV, don't forget to take the Euro-Nav disk out of the trunk. I did. I'm still hoping it finds its way back to the US.

· Registered
7 Posts
I had almost the same situation. We had an 11:00. but I had a family of 4 to work with also. Talk to Harms in advance and they will help you out. Harms is right on the way. If you do the paperwork in advance, know where your going and have a taxi waiting, it only takes 15 min longer than if you took a taxi all the way. Leave your hotel a bit early to allow for surprises. We got hit with a heavy snow storm that morning. I got nervous on the time but made it easily anyway.

p.s. Runflats don't make good snow tires

· ZHPper
2,138 Posts
blackcab1 said:
What do you do with the plate and the first aid kit? Do you just remove the front plate or both?

Thanks.
We left both plates on and they were still on the car when we re-delivered. I've heard that if you leave the e-kit in the car and it get's "lost", the VPC will replace it but with an English language version, so take the original. Also, DO NOT put it in your carry-on baggage...it's got some healthy illegal scissors in it which will get confiscated by security.

2,052 Posts
woody underwood said:
We left both plates on and they were still on the car when we re-delivered. I've heard that if you leave the e-kit in the car and it get's "lost", the VPC will replace it but with an English language version, so take the original. Also, DO NOT put it in your carry-on baggage...it's got some healthy illegal scissors in it which will get confiscated by security.
HAHAHAHA. When I got home and opened my luggage, there was a large pair of medical scissors in the bottom of my bag. Up until 30 seconds ago I couldn't figure out where the heck they came from. :rofl: :banghead: :D :dunno: Thank you so much. Now I'm going to go put them back in the first aid kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.