BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
So today I started my car and I wanted to check on something to while it was started I floored the accelerator to check my RPM gauge.
When I went behind my vehicle I saw black water dripping from exhaust - see pic - and the smoke was kind of full of humidity.
Is this normal?
Why is there black water from my exhaust?
See pic attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
That's just condensation, exhaust is cold, engine blows in hot and humid air. Don't floor a cold engine.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Why would you do that? How is that RPM gauge?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Why would you need to floor it for checking, if RPM gauge works?
Idle would be enough, don't you think?

Or if you think it doesn't show correct RPM, where would you get another RPM reading which is more accurate than gauge?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually as I bought the car used some one suggested to check and see how engine behaves while pushing on gas. My result was kind of weird. This black thing got me distracted and worried however my engine when it reached around 7 or 8 it hesitated like it was trying to breath and wasn’t able to.
The engine sounded like it was going to install but it kept going with a hesitation pulse kind of way.

Not sure what that means.
My spark plugs are new.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,519 Posts
I've seen this before you were checking for a mis fire! Believe me on the "slightest" of misfire the BMW ecm will let you know. Get a scanner (BMW ) and rely on that...be glad you didnt blow a gasket !

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Actually as I bought the car used some one suggested to check and see how engine behaves while pushing on gas. My result was kind of weird. This black thing got me distracted and worried however my engine when it reached around 7 or 8 it hesitated like it was trying to breath and wasn’t able to.
The engine sounded like it was going to install but it kept going with a hesitation pulse kind of way.

Not sure what that means.
My spark plugs are new.

It has probably reached the RPM limitation by software. When driving, this limit is smoother, since there is load on the engine and the rpm is held back by this load.

If you want to test the engine in that rpm range, warm it up completely (30 min drive). And test it under load. Not on the driveway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts