BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak that is coming from the gasket where the oil filter meets the engine compartment (so says my mechanic) so occasionally i have to put in oil through the engine oil filler. I noticed that whenever i remove the cap to the engine oil filler, a bit of white smoke continually rises from that port when the vehicle has been running. This morning it did it after the vehicle only ran for 5 minutes. I was wondering if shoke should be in the engine during normal operating temperatures or even when your engine is barely cold.

Thanks for the help. Also how much should i expect to pay to fix my leak? thanks.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
It's normal.

So long as your oil level is good, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably just condensation burning off - this is a good thing, otherwise you end up with sludge.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
If the car is cold, bit of smoke MAY be normal. Probably not smoke but steam, especially if the morning is cold as well. When the engine is warm, the engine should SUCK air in when the oil filler cap is off and idling should get a bit rough. A test is by placing a plastic bag on top of the hole, engine vacuum should suck it in about an inch or so. If not, your CVV is circling the drain....

·
Registered
168 Posts
From what you are describing, your oil filter housing gasket is bad. Replace it. Have an Indy shop replace it for ~$275. The dealership will charge as much as $700. DIY for about $10 plus the cost to replace lost oil and maybe 3 hours of your time. Your choice.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Yes, if your engine is at operating temp and you open the filler cap on the valve cover, smoke will come out. It is normal as Scott ZHP said.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
It's a DIY with super detailed instructions by cn90 in the bestlinks thread. Just do it. I plan on doing it, with the modification of roofing cement replaced with Loctite silicone gasket maker.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
It's a DIY with super detailed instructions by cn90 in the bestlinks thread. Just do it. I plan on doing it, with the modification of roofing cement replaced with Loctite silicone gasket maker.
I wouldn't do this.

I can't tell you how many engines I've seen where well intentioned people used Permatex/Loctite/whatever gasket goo trying to "improve" a seal and a glop of it squeezed out of the joint when mated/tightened. Blobs of this crap then break off and BLOCK OIL PASSAGES. Even a thin film will squeeze out of a machined mating surface. And while you can wipe it off the outside, you can't see the inside.

The latest was a "rebuilt" Mercedes engine sold to a friend. A blob of goo "sealing" the valve cover gasket broke off and got stuck in a drilling feeding #1 cam journal. Cam seized in the journal, then broke; head destroyed.

If you insist on using something on the gasket, use Hylomar, preferably the stuff in a spray can. It was developed by Rolls Royce to seal their jet engines. I think Permatex bought or licenses the patent.

·
Learning Daily
278 Posts
dont use any type of sealant. different materials expand and contract at different temps; the more materials you have to mate the valve cover to head the more likely it is to leak.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
dont use any type of sealant. different materials expand and contract at different temps; the more materials you have to mate the valve cover to head the more likely it is to leak.
We're not talking about a valve cover. The joint in question is the oil filter housing to the block; they're both aluminum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts