BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,172 Posts
Be thankful you noticed it before engine was started!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Oil, transmission fluid, or power steering fluid. Oh, the possibilities! ;-) The good news is that it shouldn't be too tough to figure out where it's coming from.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been 4 months without a repair so I guess I was due. My daughter loves the car and I am getting new speakers and head unit because after all - the stereo and tires should always cost more than the car.

Then this. Just have to figure out how to get it on the lift when I get home tomorrow. These are the times I regret having 5 daughters instead of sons.

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
In the next county over, with a lot of wealth, a big chunk of E60 driver demographics are young females. I suspect the cars are hand-me-downs from their parents or grandparents, wanting their little princess to have an exceptionally crashworthy car.

The boys of wealthy parents or grandparents get trucks or Jeeps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It has been 4 months without a repair so I guess I was due. My daughter loves the car and I am getting new speakers and head unit because after all - the stereo and tires should always cost more than the car.

Then this. Just have to figure out how to get it on the lift when I get home tomorrow. These are the times I regret having 5 daughters instead of sons.
Oh man, sorry this happened. I hope it's something relatively easy to fix. Definitely looks like oil to me. Your tires look great!
Good luck,
Fred

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 116K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
22,033 Posts
This is the end, my friend. (Last broadcast from East Germany before the Reunification)

·
Registered
947 Posts
what color is the fluid ?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two spots show it’s had been going on for a while. No lights per daughter. Looks like maybe the Oil filter housing? Will push on the lift.

I bet a 10 second start would tell all but scared to do that

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Check the oil level (iDrive) and add some if it's low. Then start it... you won't do any damage that way (at least compared to what may have been done if it was driven long distances with very low oil levels). But generally, the car will report when the oil is a quart low (the good thing about the iDrive system - but I still wish there was an oil - and transmission fluid - dipstick on these cars!).

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's a fun area for leaks, lots of opportunity in that area. a quick start should help you find it. get the Oil-dry ready, I blew one of the cooler lines going into the filer housing on a road trip. It'll pump out a lot of oil in a hurry. It could be a cheap and easy gasket though. good luck!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put a quart of oil back in and started it. Took the risk. Think I found the leak.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
oil filter housing is very common leak and it's not too difficult to replace yourself and you can work ontop of the car to change it. you might want to inspect the serpentine belt if oil has been dripping onto it for a long period, it could be on its way out. if the belt breaks, there is a major flaw where it can get sucked into the crankshaft seal and potentially destroy the engine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The leak is on the end plate thing. Which I don’t think there is a gasket there I have ever replaced. For the belt, it’s covered in oil. Luckily all the parts are guaranteed for life from FCP Euro. My main concern is they are going to kick me out of their club.
But still can’t even find a part number for this

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
92 Posts

Having hard time finding the part on realoem too. I saw someone post about this earlier and it does exist replacements.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,234 Posts
That is the infamous gasket that is not separately available :)

See this thread:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts