Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2016-2017 650I. Will NOT be a DD. It will not be used in bad weather. Is the X drive a benefit or a burden in this scenario? Is maintenance higher? Do you notice it on dry roads? Any comments welcome.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,373 Posts
Do you understand Dynamic Stability Control - DSC - and its use of xDrive? DSC uses xDrive to adjust understeer / oversteer among other things. Yes, I notice DSC on dry roads. My first road trip in the X5d was to US-129 Tail of the Dragon, and I was well pleased. YMMV

xDrive adds two major mechanical components, the front differential and shafts, and the xDrive transfer case, so there is marginally more maintenance required.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 435i X drive. Not to drive in the snow but in case my wife was out shopping sometime and it did snow/sleet before she could get home. In this area, every two or three years, we get a prediction for cold rain and before you know it we've got 3 to 5" of snow and hundreds of accidents in the Richmond, VA area. It can go from a dreary cold day to holy cow maybe we should have stayed home. Same reason her Outlander has AWD. Just in case things get bad.

And, if I read the specs right, the X drive cars are quicker than the rear wheel drive cars 0 to 60 mph. Not that I'd really notice....

·
Registered
238 Posts
The only issue I have with Xdrive is that you have to be very careful with the size (rolling circumference) of all the tires and make sure that there is very little difference front to back and side to side or you will have issues with the transfer system.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,373 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 435i X drive. Not to drive in the snow but in case my wife was out shopping sometime and it did snow/sleet before she could get home. In this area, every two or three years, we get a prediction for cold rain and before you know it we've got 3 to 5" of snow and hundreds of accidents in the Richmond, VA area. It can go from a dreary cold day to holy cow maybe we should have stayed home. Same reason her Outlander has AWD. Just in case things get bad.

And, if I read the specs right, the X drive cars are quicker than the rear wheel drive cars 0 to 60 mph. Not that I'd really notice....
xDrive improves acceleration and steering. Nothing improves braking and deceleration, that’s why there are hundreds of accidents.

My tires NOKIAN WR G3 are selected to be year around all weather tires but still they slide through an icy snowy intersection just like bald Stone Bridges.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our 2013 650 is x drive. We got the car to be the winter DD when we park the Corvette. However, in 4yr we have never driven it in snow, so from our standpoint it was probably wasted. Our service rep at BMW dealer said the X drive transfer case has seen some problems. We don't drive it hard at all so we don't notice any better driving or handling on dry or wet. Doing it again I would not bother from my perspective.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to avoid but since I want certain items I will take it with x drive if everything else I want is there.

·
Michael
2,207 Posts
X drive is fine, good for traction and you generally replace tyres as a set, look for active steering ( four wheel steering) now this makes a real difference, I specd on my car, and it is excellent!!!

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Looking to buy a 2016-2017 650I. Will NOT be a DD. It will not be used in bad weather. Is the X drive a benefit or a burden in this scenario? Is maintenance higher? Do you notice it on dry roads? Any comments welcome.
There's no indication as to what part of the world you live...so what do you consider "bad weather"?

As DH mentioned...AWD increases acceleration and handling in situations where those things are compromised...and that's not just snow...but also other "wet" conditions which would include rain, sleet, ice, or a combination of all of those aforementioned wet conditions. If you live an an area that receives lots of rain...or has a rainy season...then AWD could be a benefit during those times, as well.

Then there's other "loose" road conditions like sand, dirt, mud where traction can be compromised. If you live where you may drive on non-paved roads...then AWD might be something to consider in this driving situation, too.

One big misconception about AWD is that it will perform better in snow. This can get owners into a false since of security in that a RWD car mounted with dedicated winter tires will perform better than an AWD mounted with all season tires. That's because the rubber compound of "most" all season tires usually start to harden around 45° F which negatively impacts the ability of the tires to grip. In this scenario, a RWD mounted with dedicated winter tires that have a softer rubber compound...will have better traction than an AWD mounted with hard all season tires where the tire's rubber compound is hard and is losing its traction ability as ambient temps keep dropping in degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I run winter tires on F13 650i RWD. Very nice effect. Pulling from start faster then many suvs or 4x4s with all season tires. Definitely recommend to change them for winter. Use my car at any weather conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts