BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front seats seem to be losing their paint around the plastic skirt.
Some of my friends' BMWs are also showing their underpaint (black seems to resist but gray and tan painted seats are shown below).
Do your front seats show similar wear & tear (what is the explicit cause)?
Is there a Bimmerfest fix to obtain original asthetics (other than the obvious)?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 99 also shows it's "underpaint" as you call it. Except it's not paint. It's the base plastic that the part is cast from. Then they just paint it the correct color to match the rest of the interior. I'd bet that in those cars with black interiors, the plastic is actually black instead of a creamy off white. BTW, if you go to a GOOD auto paint store they can mix you up color matched plastic paint already thinned and ready for spraying and give you tips (and sell you the products of course) on cleaning and prepping the old surfaces. Usually the smallest quantity they will mix is a pint. And that will do every painted piece in the car at least twice! The stuff I got at my local store is a PERFECT match to my eye.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ehh I would just buy the new piece they should not be too bad. My black cracked on me one day. If I remember it was 25ish

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
shaftdrive said:
Do your front seats show similar wear & tear (what is the explicit cause)?
That's odd - my 3-series gray plastic seat part is gray all the way through (I should know, I've drilled through it to install the lumbar retrofit :D). The same is true of all the other plastic pieces I've looked at - the cupholder, inside door sill, etc.

I think it is pretty odd that BMW would paint the plastic pieces in the 5-series. Getting paint to stick to plastic is pretty difficult, particularly in a "rough service" environment like the inside of a car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
...I think it is pretty odd that BMW would paint the plastic pieces in the 5-series...
Yes, amazing, but true. The littlest bump/rub will take that paint right off.:(

·
Sport Rules
227 Posts
A friend of mine who owns a body shop repainted mine about a year ago, perfect match and looks brand new, no problems to date (both sides).

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dustine39540 said:
I just replaced the grey side pieces on my '00 540. The new parts come in as a pair and cost about $20.
It would be interesting to scratch the backside of these new trim pieces to ascertain whether they too are painted (and therefore destined for the same situation) or pigmented (in which case they should work as well as the black).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts