BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread back in April, there were some questions and comments about locking the glove box and center console. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3203372#post3203372 No one resolved the question - so I'd like to bring it back.

When you lock the convertible (with the top down or the windows open) doors and storage compartments are locked. If I reach into the car and press the central lock/unlock button, both compartments are unlocked (in fact the center console pops open), but the doors remain locked. So, no one can get into the car, but they can grab your Ipod, registration, etc.

I assumed this was just bad design (or maybe BMW engineers never thought about the possibility). But, I tried the same situation with my 1999 M3. Using the central unlock button, the glove box does NOT unlock. So, I conclude there is a user error - I can't figure out how to keep things locked - OR there is a glitch in the controlling software. It would seem that when the car is locked from the outside, the central unlock button should take no action - everything should remain locked.

Please confirm your experience. Then tell me how to get something like this fixed.

Thanks for assisting the convertible owners!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
will test and report back.

·
I Drive Therefore I Am
46 Posts
Yikes! I just tested it on mine and experienced the same. Locked it with CA put the key back in the house, successfully unlocked the glove-box and console with center switch. Then used the lock button on the key, same, unlocked both boxes. Each time the doors stayed locked.

However, started then stopped the car, shut it off, got out, leaned in and locked the car with the console switch. Then with the FOB no where near, unlocked the car with the center switch. This time the entire car unlocked including the doors.

I have an oil change due this month, I will report it as a problem when I go visit the dealer.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't have a convertible, but in the X5 I once locked myself in to see if the glove box locks. I locked the car with the fob, and pressed the center unlock button and the glovebox did not unlock.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
man I hope BMW comes out with a software fix for this because I do have my Ipod and other stuff in booth storeage areas.
I agree with "Yikes"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are all the VERT OWNERS?

Come on guys/gals - I know there are lots of you out there. Where are all the 'flutterers'?

Do you know you have this issue? Do you want it corrected? Lets's hear your problem - maybe a proposed solution.

We need an indication that you care!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see this is an old post but I am experiencing the same problem of being able to unlock the glovebox and center console when the top is down merely by reaching in an pressing the center dash door unlock button.

Has there been any fixes noted by anyone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
On top of that if you are counting on auto-relocking for anything forget it. Put windows down... get out of car. Lock it. Then unlock it. After 2 minutes it locks right ? NOPE. it Single locks but does not double lock. SO, all you have to do is reach in a pull the handle and the door opens :( Some engineer had a few too many drinks the day they designed the security system for the Vert. and should be fired. Security is MUCH MORE of an issue in a vert obviously and their solution was to just give us less. :( The only thing that really disappoints me about this car is lack of security especially since it is a 50K car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
secured vert

Just checked my 2011 vert with top down and windows down and then locked.
The center console locked and as always the glove box is always locked and
you always need your key out of your keyfob to unlock it. If i hit the center
unlock button, nothing happens. if i reach in and open the door from the inside
handle the alarm goes off. I think at one time i did reach in and hit the unlock
switch and the alarm also went off. So i think in 2011 they made a change for
the better as far as locks but the glove box is a pain to have locked all the time.

·
smooth like butter
1,541 Posts
This is disturbing. Thanks for the post OP - is your car equipped with the alarm system?

I tried it just now, and it set the alarm off. Reaching in can set the alarm off too. So at least, it's a deterrent (in my case).

In any situation though, it may be best to park with the top closed, for better protection against thieves, vandals and pigeon sh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
This is disturbing. Thanks for the post OP - is your car equipped with the alarm system?

I tried it just now, and it set the alarm off. Reaching in can set the alarm off too. So at least, it's a deterrent (in my case).

In any situation though, it may be best to park with the top closed, for better protection against thieves, vandals and pigeon sh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
only solution other than taking out valuables

·
8D
745 Posts
Has there been a fix for this? I did the test today and similar thing happened to my car... But weird thing is that my center console does not lock. Even though the doors are locked, I can still reach in and open the center console. If I press the unlock button, the center console doesn't pop open though. I always assumed the center console gets locked if the doors are locked with top down. :yikes:

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
That is the price we pay for those perfectly engineered BMW warning chime sounds.

We are BMW driving enthusiasts and don't care about securing our belongings when we park. BMWs are meant to be driven not parked. If you want a car you can lock buy a Lexus.

CA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Will have to test it out. I guess the best thing to do is to have all the windows up if you have your top down. That way the have to crawl over your trunk if the wanted to get in

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Interesting... will have to try it on mine... That being said, I only leave the top down if I'm going to be back shortly... for example, popping into a coffee shop. Otherwise, I batten down the hatches! :)

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
FWIW:

As far as I can tell for MY 2009, the center console has NO LOCKING SWITCH.

Read the Owners Manual.... No locking of the center console.

The glove box -yes. Locks when the car locks.

If I leave the top down, but the car locked, I still like it to be within line of site. I'm more worried about my V1 disappearing.

·
8D
745 Posts
FWIW:

As far as I can tell for MY 2009, the center console has NO LOCKING SWITCH.

Read the Owners Manual.... No locking of the center console.

The glove box -yes. Locks when the car locks.

If I leave the top down, but the car locked, I still like it to be within line of site. I'm more worried about my V1 disappearing.
Ah. That's a bummer. I wonder why BMW got rid of locking feature for center console.

I park the car with the top down time to time. Usually when I go to restaurants and going on a trip. But I do so only when I consider the area is safe. 2 days ago I parked the with top down for 6 hours or so (eating + watching a movie at TIFF), and nothing happened. Just a tiny layer of dust collected on the seats and plastic trims. But now that I think about it, that was stupid. lol.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
2 days ago I parked the with top down for 6 hours or so (eating + watching a movie at TIFF), and nothing happened. Just a tiny layer of dust collected on the seats and plastic trims.
Yikes! :yikes: Years ago, I left an old VW Thing outside a movie theatre with the top down and while we were seeing the movie, a thunderstorm came through... Never heard it... The car had a couple of inches of water in it, everything was soaked... Fortunately, it has barely any electronics to speak of, no carpet and various rust holes that allowed the water to drain out as we drove... the first couple of stops were entertaining, however, as the water would rush forward and splash my feet on the pedals... :rofl:

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else fail to understand why one would walk away from their car with the top and/or windows down?

Losing your iPod is the least of the bad case scenarios

1 - 20 of 21 Posts