failing to resolve a computer initializing issue with the rear
passenger window. Here I have a hundred thousand dollar car I've been
paying for the past two months, don't have use of it, and for the past
two months BMW Service can't seem to fix the problem. I'm hoping to get
BMW to buy it back. This car is the gift that keeps on giving and all
it gives me is a perpetual headache. Think I'm exaggerating? Check this
out. Remember, I purchased it 6/8/11.

On 7/20/11 I was in service with the car for a "restraint system
malfunction". There was some type of short.

On 12/1/11, the driver’s side seat cover, the cover to the airbag, came
loose. It was determined the cover clips had failed, exposing the
airbag.

On 12/21/11, I returned to BMW regarding the side airbag clip issue.
The work order states they replaced the side airbag attached to the
seat.

On 3/26/12, the front lower bumper spoiler came loose and hung down
below the undercarriage. That needed to be reattached with small screws.

On 6/1/12, there was some type of recall on the vehicle pertaining to
some type of electrical issue so I had to bring it in.

On 6/1/12, I was unable to set the car alarm. On 6/4/11, the vehicle
was in service for this problem.

On 6/7/2012, while addressing the alarm system malfunction, a computer
re-boot caused a malfunction with the windows and window motor.

On 6/28/12, I was called by the Service Manager, who told me to come in
and pick up my car. The problem was fixed. I go there, drive off in the
car and later enter the expressway which necessitated raising the
windows. Sure enough, window malfunction. Back to BMW Service I go.

On 7/30/12, BMW Service called and informed me my 2012 650i was fixed
and ready to be picked up...again. I requested they specifically
checked the windows because that would be the first thing I did upon my
arrival. The Service Manager accompanied me out to the car. We retract
the top. Sure enough, the window malfunctioned. I just handed him back
the key.

I'll tell you this. It takes quite a lot to get me going to where I'll
write on a post like this but this car and BMW has surpassed my boiling
point. I went to BMW Service 2X with the assurance the car was fixed.
2X it wasn't. They've had the car 2 months and haven't been able to
rectify and resolve the problem. Now, I'm told a new 2012 650i at the
dealership is having the same problem.

I will now be looking for another car and it sure won't be a BMW. Ask
Bill at BMW Corporate in New Jersey or Bob at BMW Service in Melbourne,
Fl about all the issues with this vehicle. It's all documented. I would
never have expected this from BMW or their brand name. It's an absolute
disgrace.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
I feel your pain! I have worked with both people. You will get the run around, & then they stop taking your calls. Your car being a new vehicle should qualify for the lemon law,
& arbitration. If this is financed by BMW in any way, stop making the payment until someone responds with a solution. Ask for a new car, or your money back if possible. BMW NA customer service is pretty useless, & flat out sux!

Good Luck!
Yikes, that is a terrible story. If it wasn't new off the boat I would think it was a water damage car.

Good luck, I hope you can exercise the Lemon Law. Seems like you would qualify, 3 trips for the same problem, within two years, and out of service for a total of 15 or more days. Forget those guys and go straight to the big guns. At this point I could see no way you would want to keep that car, unless it is free?
BMW 2012 650i

I appreciate support in this thread. I'm not going to dwell on the headache. It's just a shame. Really beautiful car, received very favorable feedback when not in the shop, but I'm just focused on getting rid of it ASAP. I can't even use it for a trade at the moment because I haven't had it in two months and it's at the shop still not working properly.

I owned a business, a dry ice company, and purchased a 1998 Toyota T-100 Pick-up truck brand new back in the day as a work truck. I've had less trouble with that 14 year old truck since I've owned it (which now has over 100,000 miles) than this hundred thousand dollar museum piece that fails to keep the window up. I'm just glad I didn't put my trust in a BMW space ship. By now I'd be passing Pluto and they'd still be trying to resolve the initializing issue.

You learn by your mistakes. This was an eye opener, and I really expected better from a BMW product. Good luck all.
Wow! I must say I feel your pain on this one but as suggested here you may have a claim under lemon law provided your state have something like that in effect. It's unfortunate that this has to happen to you but sometimes it's the luck of the draw. You may have one of the "gremlin" infected cars that seems to affect cars (no matter the cost of the car) from time to time. Also, folks will tell you never get into any of these new cars right off the bat because these cars are in "Beta" testing and unfortunately the consumers are the test subjects. Look at these cars as a big computer on wheels and we all know what happens when software and hardware meets. :tsk:. It takes time to work out the kinks so the next model should be a bit more solid.
I would keep at it with BMW of NA and have them make it right by either buy back the car or provide some assurance that the car is now fixed and refund the two months of payments that your car was in the dealer for. I would insist on nothing less. Good luck and keep us informed as to the out come.
Update

BMW North America (Bill) contacted me today 8/2/12. They're buying back the vehicle. I have to admit this is very decent of BMW. They're a class act and I was kind of ticked off when I placed the post. Getting rid of that car was like having to shoot a horse I owned after the animal brought me safely across the desert. Very mixed feelings. I'm quite confident the problem will be resolved for future buyers. I just couldn't wait any longer. Good luck.
Well I'm glad they chose to do the right thing :thumbup:. After all it's a house you're paying on. BMWs are excellent cars but once in a while you get a bad apple in the bunch but that does not mean the whole crop is bad. It's up to you if you want to get back into another 650 but I think the same feeling that pulled you into one the first place will put you back into another one :D. They are sweet cars and don't let this lemon one sour your taste to the 6 series.
Glad to hear they did the right thing and bought it back.
The car was sweet. Black Sapphire Metallic, Cinnamon Brown leather, luxury seating package,, premium sound, instrument panel with leather and contrast stitching, ceramic conttrols, heated seats, app package. I even went for the car cover.

But that's life. Things don't always go the way you'd like. Anyway, thanks for the replies and support. TC

Attachments

Glad things worked out for you. BMW NA never gets in a hurry! I don't know why they test your patience, when they are the problem.

Good Luck!
I feel your pain too. I had a new 2011 528i. After a year with an unresolved issue BMW stepped up and replaced it with a 2012 F10. It was after that that I pulled the trigger for the e64.

Frankly I should be put away for having two potential headaches, but then again compared to the alternatives I am happy with my choice.

MB is worse and there dealers are just arrogant. They break as much or more and cost way more to fix. In the end you are still driving a mediocre car compared to BMW's offerings.

If you go really crazy you can get a Ferrari and pay $25k for a break job every 5,000 miles.

I am sure that at some point I will get a newer 6er with just as many issues but it's the price we all pay for the drive experience.

Good Luck and let us know what you replace it with.
BMW North America (Bill) contacted me today 8/2/12. They're buying back the vehicle. I have to admit this is very decent of BMW. They're a class act and I was kind of ticked off when I placed the post. Getting rid of that car was like having to shoot a horse I owned after the animal brought me safely across the desert. Very mixed feelings. I'm quite confident the problem will be resolved for future buyers. I just couldn't wait any longer. Good luck.
Replacement

Actually, this caught my eye but it's not out yet. Looks sweet. Should be out 2015.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2012-porsche-panamera-convertible-ar99805.html
Amazing. I actually hate the Panameras look. It reminds me of the 928, a dog of a Porsche.

On the other hand, I think I really like the convertible. Also the 4 door Vert looks really slick. That might mean that you can use the back seat for humans.

Thanks for the post.
Actually, this caught my eye but it's not out yet. Looks sweet. Should be out 2015.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2012-porsche-panamera-convertible-ar99805.html
Go ahead take another chance with BMW... except with a different dealership...
Every car manufacture, no mater who they are, occasionally give the ok and let a lemon roll out the factory door...
A huge pain in the ass if your the unlucky one to get it I'm sure.
They did buy it back, it wouldn't have been so easy on an American car I think.
In any case good luck to you...

PS Porsche and BMW are two completely different kind of cars...
+1 I agree !! BMW can be really slow off the mark, but they came through for you! it doesn't mean that lightning will strike twice and you did like the car>>>>>>>> To be candid in the realm of the 6 series there is little that comes close as an overall package>>>>>
In the Waiting

I'm still using the 2012 535i they provided as a loaner for the second month. For the first month they had the car, I had a 3 Series loaner from the dealership. Not too shabby for a loaner but both cars pale in comparison to the 650i. It would be my luck to get one with a "Gremlin" in the system. Anyway, thanks for the posts. I'll let everyone know how this finally works out.
FYI,
My wife has a 2012 F10 (528i). It is not perfect all the time, but when it is, it's an amazing car to drive.
Good Luck.
I'm still using the 2012 535i they provided as a loaner for the second month. For the first month they had the car, I had a 3 Series loaner from the dealership. Not too shabby for a loaner but both cars pale in comparison to the 650i. It would be my luck to get one with a "Gremlin" in the system. Anyway, thanks for the posts. I'll let everyone know how this finally works out.
Glad it's all worked out for you.
The Carteer

Update

Well, I guess it's still working, with respect to it working out for me. Today is Sunday, August 12, 2012 and haven't finalized anything yet. Last time I had full use of my 2012 650i was June 4, 2012. It appears we're fast approaching 2 1/2 months I've been without use of my own car and using the dealership's 5 Series loaner which I'm looking at outside my window. Two and a half months!

I'm hoping to hear something this week. I guess it was just wishful thinking they'd actually fix the car and provide me an alternative option to keep it in lieu of the buyback but I'm not anticipating this. This has been one really screwed up ride, both literally and figuratively, from the getgo. Anyway, still waiting. This whole experience has been like passing a kidney stone. Even when it's over, it's difficult to forget..., and I'm still not quite over it yet.
The Carteer

Visited BMW today 8/16/12. Everything was finalized. BMW purchased the vehicle back and cut me a check. I am going to give them time to get out all the bugs with a new series, something I probably should have done with a first year revamped model, and then I fully intend to purchase another BMW convertible down the road. I have to say I loved that 2012 650i and it cut to the bone letting it go.

A final note. Bill Stuart at BMW North America is a decent guy and did stay engaged with me on this matter right up until today, even though I gave him hell over the phone on more than one occasion; so much so I actually thought it fitting to apologize.

So good luck to all. BMW did right by me. In my opinion, it's a stand-up company that backs its brand. And I know down the road I'll be purchasing another one.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.