BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning - long read. I'll try to keep it interesting.

I have a Euro Delivery scheduled on Nov 2nd and would like to drop the car off in Nice, France on Nov 11th. At this point, all flights and hotels have been booked - our itinerary is set.

Several weeks ago, I attempted to contact the Nice drop-off location (called TTCar Nice) before finalizing my travel itinerary. I got their contact information from BMW's website:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Experience/Events/EuropeanDelivery/Delivery/Locations.aspx

As instructed, I sent an email to [email protected] to request my drop-off appointment on Nov. 11th. I was only required to do this 4 days in advance, so I was well ahead of schedule. I did not receive a response, but assumed everything was okay and proceeded to book all my hotels and flights.

I opted for email for two reasons. One, there is a written record. And two, I was worried about the language barrier.

Several weeks passed and still no response from TTCar Nice. Digging through my spam folder, I discovered a bounced email notification from [email protected]. I started to get worried so I contacted the team at BMW Welt. They advised me to call TTCar Nice, which I did yesterday.

The TTCar rep confirmed that the information (email address and physical address) listed on BMWs website is WRONG. TTCar informed me the CORRECT email address for TTCar Nice is [email protected]. She also informed me they are located at Terminal 2, not Terminal 1.

At TTCar said that Friday, Nov 11th would be okay, but this morning they emailed me to inform me they are going to be closed due to a bank holiday so I can't drop off the car on Friday.

How was I supposed to know it was a bank holiday? How was I supposed to know that the holiday would mean that TTCar Nice would be closed? How was I supposed to know that the contact information on BMWs website is wrong? If my original email had gone through, none of this would've happened.

So now what am I supposed to do? We won't be arriving in Nice until Friday, Nov 11th. My flight is supposed to leave Nice on Sunday, Nov 12th. TTCar is also closed on Sat/Sun. I really need to be home by Monday, Nov. 13th as I have to be at work.

I can only think of two solutions that would be satisfactory.

1. I drop the car off at TTCar Nice on Friday, Nov. 11th, even though they are closed. Don't they have a key drop I could use? I could park the car, put the keys in their mailbox and leave. I could also fill out any necessary paperwork in advance.

2. I could try to reschedule our flights to leave Nice on Monday, thus we could drop the car off at TTCar on Monday morning. However, at a minimum, this is going to cost $250 per ticket to change the flights - we have two tickets. In addition, there's a chance that the new flights tickets are more expensive as it's only a few weeks away. I'll have to miss an important day at work on Monday which is not ideal either.

If I have to go with option two, I would request that I be compensated for the additional flight fees. As I pointed out above, it's not my fault that BMWs website has outdated contact information for TTCar Nice. I expect better from BMW.

Please let me know if you can think of any additional solutions as I would welcome your recommendations.

Who's to blame? My CA? BMW's website? Am I at fault? I did my best to read through all the paperwork and schedule everything well in advance to avoid any nasty surprises. Uhghgh!!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The only other option would be to tear up the last few days of our itinerary so we could arrive in Nice on Thursday, 11/10. I'm pissed. I'm just not sure who to be pissed at.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not sure who to be upset at, but as soon as I saw November 11th in your first line, I knew this was going to end badly.

It's only been 100 years, but the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is honored through much of Europe; it was the Armistice that ended World War I. France and Belgium were the site of most of the war, and definitely honor Remembrance Day. It's a much bigger deal there than Veteran's Day (same date, same reason for the date) is in the U.S. The German's don't celebrate the Armistice, but I'm really surprised they didn't recognize the 11th would be a public holiday.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have booked flights until I had confirmation, but that ship's sailed. I don't have a lot of ideas for you at this point. I'd probably try to price out the ticket change to Monday, if you can at all make that work.

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
There's an active following at the Bimmerfest European Delivery forum which may be a better place to post.

November 11 is Veterans Day in the US and a bigger holiday in many European countries under different names.

Be flexible and consider completely redoing your vacation. Look for cheap flights to fly to Nice from Paris, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, or Vienna. Then return your car there and fy to Nice. Somehow, try to make a happy trip out of the snafu. The beauty of your own car is your itinerary can be made flexible except for the transatlantic flights.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think it is your responsibility to plan around their holidays. You should never assume anything until it is in writing anyway (confirmation). I've overlooked their holidays before, no big deal you just change plan accordingly.

You do NOT want to drop off your car without inspection. So option 1 is out. In fact, to suggest option one tells me you need to do a lot more research regarding ED and traveling in Europe in general. Eat the change fee, it is a small price to pay so you can still have a GREAT vacation worry free!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
I assume you cannot reschedule on the front end to arrive in Nice on Nov 10?
Sometimes nobody is at fault. It is just unfortunate. BMW will likely say you have plenty of time to get to Nice on the 10th. They were at fault for listing the wrong email address so they should cut you some slack. But you had booked all the arrangements before checking about the schedule (you said your itinerary was set) with the Nice dropoff, so would the correct email have helped? Candidly, I would say you are also partially at fault for not checking on the schedule beforehand. I have not done European Delivery but I did research it and somewhere it says you are responsible for the drop off and you need to check to see that the selected drop off is available when you want it. If airline change fees are $250 per ticket, you may be better off with an extra night at a hotel in Nice and a day earlier drop off. Either way, you have a right to be annoyed, but you have a new car and you will have a Europe trip!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great news!!! TTCar Nice just got back to me and will open the office for a half-hour on Nov. 11th so I can drop off the car as originally planned - at no extra charged!!!

WHEW!!!!

I did email BMW and strongly advised that they correct the contact info on their website so people don't continue to have this issue in the future.

Yes, in hindsight, it was partially my fault for "assuming" they first email was delivered successfully. I should have waited until I had a firm confirmation before making any plans.

This is a nitpick, but I feel BMW's language about this should be a little stronger on their site. Currently, they say the drop off locations are open M-F and require 4 days notice. So I "assumed" it was no big deal and pretty easy to schedule these appointments. Lesson learned. Crisis averted.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
Very good and surprising that they would open for you on the 11th, but all's well that ends well. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Great news!!! TTCar Nice just got back to me and will open the office for a half-hour on Nov. 11th so I can drop off the car as originally planned - at no extra charged!!!

WHEW!!!!

I did email BMW and strongly advised that they correct the contact info on their website so people don't continue to have this issue in the future.

Yes, in hindsight, it was partially my fault for "assuming" they first email was delivered successfully. I should have waited until I had a firm confirmation before making any plans.

This is a nitpick, but I feel BMW's language about this should be a little stronger on their site. Currently, they say the drop off locations are open M-F and require 4 days notice. So I "assumed" it was no big deal and pretty easy to schedule these appointments. Lesson learned. Crisis averted.
Great news...glad TTCar is working with you on this issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad things worked out in the end. However - this should be a lesson to follow-up, follow-up, follow-up.

If you don't receive response via email after 24 hours, absolutely follow up with a phone call, that's just best practice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not to be a SA, but I would definitely double check all of your dates you listed above. What every happened to Saturday? You listed Friday, Nov. 11th as the day you wanted to drop off the car and that Sunday, Nov. 12 was the day of your flight and that Monday, Nov. 13th was an important day at work. Somewhere in there, you left off Saturday.....skipped right over that dude. If the 13th is an important date, better make sure that your flight isn't SATURDAY the 12th. Hey, you were pissed before, I'd hate to see how pissed you would be if you showed up at the airport on Sunday thinking it was the 12th.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to be a SA, but I would definitely double check all of your dates you listed above. What every happened to Saturday? You listed Friday, Nov. 11th as the day you wanted to drop off the car and that Sunday, Nov. 12 was the day of your flight and that Monday, Nov. 13th was an important day at work. Somewhere in there, you left off Saturday.....skipped right over that dude. If the 13th is an important date, better make sure that your flight isn't SATURDAY the 12th. Hey, you were pissed before, I'd hate to see how pissed you would be if you showed up at the airport on Sunday thinking it was the 12th.
Ha! Good catch!! Luckily all of my actual dates are all correct - it was just an oversight as I was rushing to type this post.

We are dropping the car off on Friday, Nov 11th, enjoying Nice on Saturday, November 12th and flying home on Sunday, the 13th. Need to be at work on Monday, the 14th.

Whew - ya almost gave me a panic attack there. haha

·
Promethean
201 Posts
Good result. From a legal perspective BMW would have had to shoulder some responsibility for providing faulty information, but you should have done your due diligence by following up with TTCar by phone. From a practical standpoint, reaching out to BMW would always be the best option, no matter that little dings here and there that they get in the customer service department, my experience has been that the folks at the Welt go the extra mile. Very likely they would have contacted TTCar on your behalf, or as seems to be the case, TTCar, thankful for the relationship (and revenue stream) as BMW exclusive agent in Nice, would have made an accommodation on your behalf. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I love working with some of these smaller European companies, oftentimes they really go all out for the customer. Happy that there was a good outcome at the end of your story. Consider doing something nice, call ahead and find out who will be on-site on Armistice Day (as it's known in Europe and Commonwealth countries), and show a little appreciation to them for the mini-sacrifice they're making on your behalf.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts