BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '07 335i (w/sport) drives like a dream unless it's raining. In a good rainstorm, with some puddling on the road surface, the car skitters and hydroplanes all over the place. Its mountain goat-like sure-footedness gives way to a white-knuckle, out of control experience at the most modest of highway speeds. The tires are the stock RFTs and have just over 9k miles on them, I haven't done the penny test yet, but they really don't look all that bad.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what tires do you recommend I go with next (I've been strongly considering going non-RFT when I change).

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
My '07 335i (w/sport) drives like a dream unless it's raining. In a good rainstorm, with some puddling on the road surface, the car skitters and hydroplanes all over the place. Its mountain goat-like sure-footedness gives way to a white-knuckle, out of control experience at the most modest of highway speeds. The tires are the stock RFTs and have just over 9k miles on them, I haven't done the penny test yet, but they really don't look all that bad.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what tires do you recommend I go with next (I've been strongly considering going non-RFT when I change).[/quote]

I replaced the POS RFTs on my 335i sport with Pirelli P_Zero Nero M&S. HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Yoko ADVAN S4s.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For hydroplane resistance, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, hands down -- with these on the Cobra I'm easily passing people on the highway. It's still a bit chilly out here so it's a good idea to be careful when using summer performance tires.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have noticed the same feeling with the Dunlop RFTs that came on our 535. They only have 1800 miles on them, but when it rains, I feel like I'm driving in soap.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I drove thru a rainstorm in our 325i sport, which has Bridgestone Potenzas. While it wasn't as sure-footed as my X3, I would say it was pretty good. If anything, I think the limited ground clearance somewhat hindered it more than anything else, like when I drove into a puddle so big the water washed up all over my windshield. Despite the strong storm and rain, I was able to maintain 90km/h and swerve to avoid a bucket that had fallen off a utility truck. The rear foglights also came into use :p

As in all cases with adverse weather, I did keep both hands firmly on the wheel. I could feel the vehicle try to cut thru the torrential rain, and I'm guessing Active Steering might have been doing some things on its own.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For hydroplane resistance, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, hands down -- with these on the Cobra I'm easily passing people on the highway. It's still a bit chilly out here so it's a good idea to be careful when using summer performance tires.
Can we get the F1 GS-D3? I tried to put them on a few months ago and the rear tires were backordered. I just checked tirerack and they still are on backorder. This is the max performance summer, I don't know anything about A/S availability.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There was a very bad downpour a few weeks back here in Nashville. It was at night and I am in my 08' 335 non-sport with the Bridgestone RFT stock tires.

Dam scariest drive I have ever had. I absolutely hate these tires :mad: and my new tires arrived this past week and I will be putting them on this Saturday. I know some like them but in the rain the Bridgestone's are terrible in my opinion. I was hydroplaning all over the highway at 45- 50 miles an hour when big trucks come flying by creating a vortex of wind and water making it worse.

I knew going in I would replace them but did not think I would do so as quickly as I am. I really think BMW should reconsider the whole RFT issue. I just do not feel they are all they have been built up to be - at least a choice - with the spare in the truck with a jack kit and so on. I think they would be surprised how many of these $500 options they would sell.

·
Rio The Racer
546 Posts
i 100% agree... i have these and they are amazing

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
My (sport-pack) 335 with the summer performance runflats do quite well in the rain. I don't know why others are having such problems. :confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
try driving spirited, especially with DSC switched off

If I hit a wet patch in the canyons around my house, I can feel the car slide out ever so slightly. In the rain I drive carefully because I don't want to find out what rain-soaked ground will do to my grip levels.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
I have done this.

And to tell you the truth, the performance was what I expected: something like 70-80% of dry traction. Expect any more, and you're just being unrealistic.

As for hydroplane resistance: If I recall correctly, I was able to plow through standing water under 70 mph with no problems. But at 70 things start to get squirrelly.

EDIT: And of course, as my tires wear down some more, dry traction will improve and wet traction will get worse. As expected.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Can we get the F1 GS-D3? I tried to put them on a few months ago and the rear tires were backordered. I just checked tirerack and they still are on backorder. This is the max performance summer, I don't know anything about A/S availability.
I usually ordered them from my favorite tire shop -- they always price matched Tire Rack. That said, check out the new F1 assymetric, placed first in its category.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,215 Posts
i would have to say that the goodyear F1 gs-D3s are the best UHP tires i have used in the rain.
that being said, i dont have any issues with the potenza RE050As in the rain-- with any tire you cant push it as hard.

even with the goodyears on an AWD car, you will hydroplane if you hit standing water at a high enough speed. no tire is going to give you the same grip wet as dry.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
the sports package has summer tires, not suited for rain or winter
The best summer tyres are very good in the rain, on average better than all-seasons. They are useless in the snow and poor when the temperature drops below 7C.

As you can see for the following UHP summer tyres test link, the maximum wet cornering g-force is higher than for the UHP all-season tyres in the link after that:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=47
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=55

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.