Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98 e36 ic (convertible). The guy I bought it from replaced the motors for the convertible top and before I purchased the car and he he demonstrated opening and closing the top with no issues. My first time opening it on my own it opened 1/4th of the way before getting stuck. I attempted to close it but it wouldnt close. I proceeded to disengage both motors and use an Allen wrench to try to close it the rest of the way and nothing was moving. I then manually closed the entire top, re-engaged the motors and tried to reset the motors. With the top fully closed held down the up button and turned the key 2 clicks. After waiting for a long time with no response I tried again this time holding down the down button but to no avail. All I get the blinking light on the top control buttons. The motors don't make any sound and I dont thing they are moving at all. I have read tons of forums already on the topic and feel like I have tried everything I could find. My main priority is to get the top closed manually even if I can't get the motors working at the moment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a thought, but if it stopped just before the highest point, you might be low or have a leak in hydraulic fluid. Might be worth checking the resivour. As far as moving it on it***8217;s own, you***8217;d have to bypass the hydraulic system with the release handle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts