BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased a set of 18" to swap with my 20"s for the winter. The guy I bought the 18's from gave me a free set of spacers for the rears so I could maintain the staggered look with the winter wheels. However when i went to install them on Sunday I just didn't like the way they fit together. You needed to first bolt the spacer to the hub then bolt the rim to the spacer. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with this but I was not comfortable with it so I left them off.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just installed 19" winter set this weekend with 25mm H&R spacers in the rear. they are pretty safe as long as they are installed properly. As far as I know, bolt-on spacers are considered better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Someone posted a picture of a black X5M with spacers. This vehicle looked awesome. I want a similiar look. Are there any negative issues with using these spacers for the front and back. Increased tire wear? :dunno: Does this void the new car warranty? :dunno:
Spacers will change the wheel/suspension geometry. There is increased load on the wheel bolts, and this is considered unsafe FOR TRACK USE. On an e70 it may be fine. This is one of those 'yes this is true, but doesn't likely matter for just driving around'

BMW will not 'void' the warranty, HOWEVER, if you have ANY suspension, wear, alignment, ride, bearing, etc, issue they will likely decline to cover it if they see spacers on the car. They don't need to 'prove' the spacer caused the issue, you'll need to prove it didn't. More confusing, some SAs are cool about it, others not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought I would add my 2 cents.

Huge misconception on spacer safety. I dont know where you heard spacers are "unsafe" for track use. Thats really not true. You just have to make sure you get longer wheel bolts if your spacer is 5mm or longer. I tracked my Carrera S for 2 years with 7mm Front, 14mm Rear and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Thought I would add my 2 cents.

Huge misconception on spacer safety. I dont know where you heard spacers are "unsafe" for track use. Thats really not true. You just have to make sure you get longer wheel bolts if your spacer is 5mm or longer. I tracked my Carrera S for 2 years with 7mm Front, 14mm Rear and had no issues whatsoever.
Another silly "n=1" testimonial.

Some tech inspections allow it, PCA does not for autocross as I recall. Having said that I've seen tech inspections where they are allowed. But there is simply no way around the FACT that spacers will change geometry and bolt shear loading. I do, in fact, run spacers on my E39, but only 3mm. Many people run spacers. Usually they are safe enough.

A

·
Registered
48 Posts
Silly Testimonial?

I'm a certified national instructor for PCA/PBOC/Chin. So I would say I'm qualified to give my opinion. Tech inspections for PCA vary on different regions, and are generally allowed. I didn't elaborate into great detail why spacers are safe, as it would drag on and the message would be lost. Bottom line is, supplied with correctly sized bolts, spacers are more than fine for a tracked car, let alone a suv like a X5. Yes, there is added load on the bolts and geometry will be affected, so congrats, you get a cookie. The key is not to get oversized spacers. Anything over 16mm and your pushing it. The reason why I thought it was pointless to go into great detail is because generally X5 owners don't go near those sizes. Also, bolt load isn't a issue for suv driving. Those concerns are for extreme circumstances.

We are all enthusiasts here, and love our cars. Hopefully this post doesn't come across as "silly" again.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say I'm qualified to give my opinion. The key is not to get oversized spacers. Anything over 16mm and your pushing it.
This is the EXACT type of information I was looking for. I already purchased the spacers. I installed 12mm up front and 20mm in the rear. All the spacers came with longer bolts. I drive my X5 pretty aggressively. Take a look at the pictures. I don't have before and after pictures. These pics are with the spacers installed already. I wanted to go with 30mm on the rear (and still do), but since I had no info on how safe they were, I just went with 20mm. So your saying I'm already pushing it with 20mm?? Is it ok to keep them on? I'm just doing it for appearance. Am I right about them causing the inner part of the tire to wear faster? :dunno:

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Silly Testimonial?

I'm a certified national instructor for PCA/PBOC/Chin. So I would say I'm qualified to give my opinion. Tech inspections for PCA vary on different regions, and are generally allowed. I didn't elaborate into great detail why spacers are safe, as it would drag on and the message would be lost. Bottom line is, supplied with correctly sized bolts, spacers are more than fine for a tracked car, let alone a suv like a X5. Yes, there is added load on the bolts and geometry will be affected, so congrats, you get a cookie. The key is not to get oversized spacers. Anything over 16mm and your pushing it. The reason why I thought it was pointless to go into great detail is because generally X5 owners don't go near those sizes. Also, bolt load isn't a issue for suv driving. Those concerns are for extreme circumstances.

We are all enthusiasts here, and love our cars. Hopefully this post doesn't come across as "silly" again.....
It was silly. To say "I ran them and had no issues" is FAR different from what you are outlining above. If you are honest you will recognize the distinction.

It is precisely why I qualified my post saying I ran 3mm spacers without concern- as you well know the shear force on the bolts WILL change as the loading points move apart.... Personally I think beyond 5mm is pushing it, but that is a gut sense- you are getting to spacing the same order as the bolt diameter...maybe an ME would have a different idea (actually I am POSITIVE this has been discussed at length)

How about some specific citations on why 7 and 14mm is OK but 16 is then pushing it?

Since the title of this thread is "issues with spacers" and most readers here will not look where you can find this stuff, it would be a service.

A

PS Nothing personal, I appreciate your clarifying your credentials for making your assertion, but still would like to explore the shades of grey in this issue.

PS Turbo- inner read edge where is most often TOE. What are your toe specs? Not 'BMW checked and said they are good', but the actual numbers...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont have specific scientific readings on metal strength when it comes to load on lug bolts. My opinion was rather based on real world experiences, and other enthusiasts opinions on there past setups. Also, when I mentioned 14mm spacer being the maximum I would run, it was based on my own opinion rather than a specific fact. 20mm or even 30mm is ALOT of extra space, and I wouldnt feel comfortable driving that. However, its SUV's we are talking about. I assume no one is trail braking into a high speed turn with their X5, so in my opinion you "should" be fine. I think lug bolt load really plays a factor when your actually putting the bolts under load. Normal daily driving wouldnt touch these barometers. Again, this is squarely my opinion. ARD is right that I do not have any proof to back up my claims.

In regards to the tire wear situation, again ARD is correct. Camber would not wear out your tires that fast. Your toe is the most likely culprit. I wouldnt trust how cars come from the factory with the alignment settings. Most of the time, they are way off. When I purchased my GT3, the settings were all over the place, and we are talking about a track prepped car here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys Im new here so sorry in advance for violating some unspoken rule...Ive been lurking for a while just reading and enjoying the wealth of knowledge off vehicle forums

My wife has a 2009 X5 and I have a tundra (brunski22 on Tundrasolutions). I've had spacers on just about every truck or jeep Ive had over the years. You'll be fine but you really need to get "hubcentric" spacers and not just the bolt on ones. That way the weight of the car is not completely supported by the bolts. I used to off road my old ford 150 with spacers pretty bad and nothing ever happened. And I was 19 so you can imagine the crap I drove over o.r rammed or decided I would drive into....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Those pictures are really helpful, thanks i have been looking for a while for some good pictures of spacers on the front.

Mine should be here tomorrow, 10mm front and 17.5mm rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.