BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi yall,
Had a tough time getting the ISTA program up and running. I was finally able to connect, or so I think. I am able to get "default codes" but I not see the control unit tree.
Unless it is "connected" and just not receiving communication, showing me the correct tree. I've already attempted another used DME and getting same results.
Car cranks but doesn't start.
2011 e90 328i
Rectangle Parallel Font Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

· Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,690 Posts
  1. If the OBD end of your interface cable has a switch built into the housing, ensure it is in the correct position. Different generations/chassis require different pinouts on the cable, selected by the switch.
  2. Run the DCAN utility (if it was provided with your cable) to set the correct data rate. Here again, different chassis require different speeds. This is necessary every time you connect a multi-mode cable, rather than a set-and-forget affair.
  3. Ensure the latency and baud rate settings on the Windows COMn: device are correct.
  • If the first (and maybe second) item is wrong, EDIABAS will not connect to the car at all.
  • If the third (and maybe second) item is wrong, EDIABAS might still connect to the OBDII port but ISTA/INPA will report spurious communications faults on almost every bus/module.

· Registered
4 Posts
Are you sure you the popup was an error or was it telling it you to shut the engine off? Inpa tells you when it wants the engine on or off during the process. I never used ISTA so I can't help you there.

What state are you in? Since summer is here I took a break from the SMG tuning project, rather spend time on water than on land, and as such I can lend you one of my spare SMG computers to try.

· Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,497 Posts
2011 e90 328i... I am able to get "default codes" but I not see the control unit tree. [Please define "default codes" as you understand them. Does something display that you have NOT provided a ScreenPrint of? See below.] ... Car cranks but doesn't start.
Welcome to the Forum!
It would be HELPFUL to know: (1) WHAT fault (crank, NO Start?) occurred WHEN, (2) what if any work was done on vehicle PRIOR to fault occurring, and (3) What warning lights or CC-ID Codes were/are displayed? Do the BC buttons on Turn Signal Stalk work to communicate with onboard computer/KOMBI? We can't tell (1) if your ISTA installation/connection is faulty or (2) if your vehicle has a general BUS system failure (or at least faulty connection between JBE & OBD II Socket), which ISTA would be indicating IF it (ISTA) is working/ connected correctly.

Most fundamental question: DID YOU have Ignition ON when you attempted to connect with ISTA? I would suggest you look at the attached pdf: "ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan". Slowly & Methodically perform each step in the connection process, through the first 3 pages of the pdf, and SAVE/ATTACH a ScreenPrint of ANY screen that DIFFERS from what is shown, or contains an error message. Indicate exactly WHAT selection or step had been completed to CAUSE that Screen to appear.

What Your ScreenPrints SHOW:
1) First ScreenPrint shows:
A) NO COMMUNICATION with 7 identified modules: CAS, DSC, KOMBI (Instrument Cluster), DME, MRS, JBE & EGS

B) "S 0114" indicates NO Communication with "control unit": presumably FRM, as that is only other Module shown in next screenprint which is NOT specifically identified.

2) Second ScreenPrint shows:
A) 8 Modules in RED, same 8 modules as identified above; RED color for module indicates NOT Responding (NO Communication), which is what the 8 "S" codes have told us. It should be NOTED that EKPS Fuel Pump Module is NOT shown on PT-CAN Bus (only DME, DSC, EGS).

B) ONLY TWO (2) Bus systems are shown on your 2nd ScreenPrint: K-CAN (Blue) & PT-CAN (Yellow). There should also be MOST and F-CAN bus systems shown in other colors. Further, your vehicle has ~ 20 different Control Modules which SHOULD appear on "Tree", and there should be MORE than 4 Control Modules on the K-CAN bus.

C) The "Information" Error Message suggests you switch off Ignition, wait 10 seconds and switch Ignition (Terminal 15) back on. Did you DO THAT?

Since your VIN-7 is shown at top-left of ISTA Screen, with apparently-correct vehicle description, my SWAG, based solely on minimal info provided to date, is that ISTA is working, but you have an issue with connection between the OBD II Socket (X19527) and (a) the CIC (N38b), or (b) the JBE (A4010a). See the attached ISTA ScreenPrint for YOUR 2012 328xi.

If you will answer the questions, perform the steps listed in 1st 3 pages of attached pdf, report findings, attaching ScreenPrints, I will explain how to test your ISTA installation to get the wiring diagrams needed to test those connections, IF that still seems to be a likely cause of issue.

Other Questions:
1) Do you have a Multimeter?
2) When you get in vehicle, insert Remote Key into Insert Compartment, and press START button (without pressing Brake to crank Starter) to turn on Ignition:
a) does radio come on? Does Instrument Cluster "Light-up"?
b) do your brake lights work?
c) do ANY exterior light light-up when Light Switch turns on headlights or parking lights?
d) does Climate Control Panel light? Can you change Blower Speed?
e) If you can get ANY Cheap OBD II code reader (entry-level scan tool) to connect to OBD II Socket and show ANY DME (Engine Module) codes or Live Data, then what codes does THAT provide? If that does NOT connect to your OBD II Socket, but DOES connect to other vehicles, then issue is with Socket wiring.
George
Rectangle Font Line Slope Screenshot

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  1. If the OBD end of your interface cable has a switch built into the housing, ensure it is in the correct position. Different generations/chassis require different pinouts on the cable, selected by the switch.
  2. Run the DCAN utility (if it was provided with your cable) to set the correct data rate. Here again, different chassis require different speeds. This is necessary every time you connect a multi-mode cable, rather than a set-and-forget affair.
  3. Ensure the latency and baud rate settings on the Windows COMn: device are correct.

• If the first (and maybe second) item is wrong, EDIABAS will not connect to the car at all.
  • If the third (and maybe second) item is wrong, EDIABAS might still connect to the OBDII port but ISTA/INPA will report spurious communications faults on almost every bus/module.
Thanks for the response!

1) There is no switch at the end of the cable
2) No DCAN utility provided :(
3) I did have the changed the ICOM to icom1 on the device manager, as well as "1" latency.

Also found out about "Edibias.ini" under the OS (C:) Rheingold/Ediabas/BIN folder - Interface - STD:OBD
My INPA responded when I made the change under the OS (C:) Ediabas/BIN - "Ediabas.ini" - Interface - STD:OBD and "OBD.ini" - Port was changed to ICOM1
Surprisingly I started to get connecting through INPA. The 2 unfilled circles, Battery and Ignition both now fill the circles black when I plug in the KDCAN cable in the laptop.

ISTA setting - Vehicle interface has been changed to Interface type - "Ediabas Default settings" is set on

Is there another setting I have to change to get fully connected?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure you the popup was an error or was it telling it you to shut the engine off? Inpa tells you when it wants the engine on or off during the process. I never used ISTA so I can't help you there.

What state are you in? Since summer is here I took a break from the SMG tuning project, rather spend time on water than on land, and as such I can lend you one of my spare SMG computers to try.
Not sure about the pop up. I tried several times with key in, pressing start, and off to see what works and still get the same error and tree map. Only when key is not in, Control unit tree shows gray boxes instead of the red, telling me I am picking up some type of connection with the car.

Its nice to be on water! I dream one day of buying a boat to explore the sea :D but can't say the same as you. I like my feet on dirt lol. I'm in CA

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Forum!
It would be HELPFUL to know: (1) WHAT fault (crank, NO Start?) occurred WHEN, (2) what if any work was done on vehicle PRIOR to fault occurring, and (3) What warning lights or CC-ID Codes were/are displayed? Do the BC buttons on Turn Signal Stalk work to communicate with onboard computer/KOMBI? We can't tell (1) if your ISTA installation/connection is faulty or (2) if your vehicle has a general BUS system failure (or at least faulty connection between JBE & OBD II Socket), which ISTA would be indicating IF it (ISTA) is working/ connected correctly.

Most fundamental question: DID YOU have Ignition ON when you attempted to connect with ISTA? I would suggest you look at the attached pdf: "ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan". Slowly & Methodically perform each step in the connection process, through the first 3 pages of the pdf, and SAVE/ATTACH a ScreenPrint of ANY screen that DIFFERS from what is shown, or contains an error message. Indicate exactly WHAT selection or step had been completed to CAUSE that Screen to appear.

What Your ScreenPrints SHOW:
1) First ScreenPrint shows:
A) NO COMMUNICATION with 7 identified modules: CAS, DSC, KOMBI (Instrument Cluster), DME, MRS, JBE & EGS

B) "S 0114" indicates NO Communication with "control unit": presumably FRM, as that is only other Module shown in next screenprint which is NOT specifically identified.

2) Second ScreenPrint shows:
A) 8 Modules in RED, same 8 modules as identified above; RED color for module indicates NOT Responding (NO Communication), which is what the 8 "S" codes have told us. It should be NOTED that EKPS Fuel Pump Module is NOT shown on PT-CAN Bus (only DME, DSC, EGS).

B) ONLY TWO (2) Bus systems are shown on your 2nd ScreenPrint: K-CAN (Blue) & PT-CAN (Yellow). There should also be MOST and F-CAN bus systems shown in other colors. Further, your vehicle has ~ 20 different Control Modules which SHOULD appear on "Tree", and there should be MORE than 4 Control Modules on the K-CAN bus.

C) The "Information" Error Message suggests you switch off Ignition, wait 10 seconds and switch Ignition (Terminal 15) back on. Did you DO THAT?

Since your VIN-7 is shown at top-left of ISTA Screen, with apparently-correct vehicle description, my SWAG, based solely on minimal info provided to date, is that ISTA is working, but you have an issue with connection between the OBD II Socket (X19527) and (a) the CIC (N38b), or (b) the JBE (A4010a). See the attached ISTA ScreenPrint for YOUR 2012 328xi.

If you will answer the questions, perform the steps listed in 1st 3 pages of attached pdf, report findings, attaching ScreenPrints, I will explain how to test your ISTA installation to get the wiring diagrams needed to test those connections, IF that still seems to be a likely cause of issue.

Other Questions:
1) Do you have a Multimeter?
2) When you get in vehicle, insert Remote Key into Insert Compartment, and press START button (without pressing Brake to crank Starter) to turn on Ignition:
a) does radio come on? Does Instrument Cluster "Light-up"?
b) do your brake lights work?
c) do ANY exterior light light-up when Light Switch turns on headlights or parking lights?
d) does Climate Control Panel light? Can you change Blower Speed?
e) If you can get ANY Cheap OBD II code reader (entry-level scan tool) to connect to OBD II Socket and show ANY DME (Engine Module) codes or Live Data, then what codes does THAT provide? If that does NOT connect to your OBD II Socket, but DOES connect to other vehicles, then issue is with Socket wiring.
George
View attachment 1077065
Hi, thanks for the detailed response!
I will follow up with you, once I am able to get back out to the car.
In the meantime I do have Scanner photos with some data stream. I did find the wiper relay to be faulty by testing for ohms.
I have multimeter.
Radio unsure, get lights on the dash
Brake lights work
Exterior lights , like the door handles?
Climate control looks ok, I can change blower speed.
Here are what my scanner shows. Car died and only cranks, was working fine all day until end of day. Left me few blocks away from leaving my house.

Attachments

· Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,497 Posts
... Here are what my scanner shows. Car died and only cranks...
more codes..
What we have here is a "Failure to Communicate". :)
Unfortunately ALL the Fault Codes you provided are "Communication Faults" related to LACK of communications between Modules (such as DSC & DME) via the PT-Can Bus, and/or K-CAN bus. A communication fault can arise from either (1) the transmitting Module NOT having Power Supply/Ground, OR (2) a BUS wiring/connector Fault.

Since BOTH Ancel Scan Tools show communication faults, and the BM700 shows Live Data (Datastream) to SOME degree, it is more likely that there is an issue with Power Supply or Bus Connection to a Module, such as the JBE, rather than the connection with the OBD II Socket. One "quick check": Since the JBE Module is the "Hub" for bus communications, check fuse F79 which supplies power to the JBE Module on 2008 & later E9x models.

The normal DIAGNOSIS process begins with reading fault codes, particularly in Modules possibly-related to issue (here DME & EKPS causing Crank, No Start). Unfortunately in YOUR case, NO fault codes are available other than "Communication" faults. That means if we want diagnostic information, we can ONLY get it from whatever "Live Data" is available from DME or EKPS (apparently NONE?) OR, we must find and correct the Bus Issue which is preventing communication between Modules.

As example, you attach a screen showing Parameters 1-5 of 5, where the first parameter is "Terminal 30A.light[V] 11.72V", and the 2nd parameter is "Terminal 30B.light[V] .07V". The 3rd & 4th parameters are voltage values related to power windows. What that Live Data suggests to me:
1) Since the FRM Module has 4 fuses supplying power to the module, 2 of which (F84 & F86) supply power to lights, and the other two (F41 & F81) supply power to the front window motors when activated, that appears to be Voltage of each of those 4 fuses.
2) Three of the 4 fuses have ~ 12V. "Terminal 30B.light" has only .07V. That should be the circuit for ONE of the two fuses: F84 or F86. I do NOT have any info on internal FRM circuitry that allows me to know WHICH of those two fuses is "Terminal 30B.light". The fuse may be "blown" (easy to check), OR the wiring/ connectors between one of those two fuses and the FRM (or within FRM itself) may have a fault.
3) If that theory is correct, SOME of your exterior lights will NOT work, while others will. For instance, Low Beam headlight will work on ONE side but NOT the other. One tail light doesn't work, another does, etc.

Now that is NOT of itself going to cause "Crank, NO start", but it at least suggests ways we MAY be able to get some clues on WHAT is causing the issue. Based upon what you have provided so far, since the Starter Cranks as it should, I assume the Remote Key Locks/Unlocks the doors? The Windows work? Do ALL window switches, on all doors work, or do only the FRONT windows work?

Since I don't know what Ancel "Menu system" was used to access the FRM Live Data you showed, I don't know if there is a way to try to access DME Live Data. What happens when you do that? Can you see ANY parameter for the DME, such as KL87 Voltage (that is DME Main Relay Voltage)?

Since you have ISTA installed on a laptop, be aware that ISTA can provide detailed, interactive, wiring diagrams (SSP Documents) which you can view, WITHOUT any connection to the vehicle. Simply enter the Last-7 Characters of your VIN (NN80097) in the "Input VIN" box which appears when you click the "Operations" Menu button (top-left of opening INPA Screen). In ~ 15 seconds, some of your vehicle details (such as E90, 328xi, N51 Engine, AUTO Gearbox, 2011/11 Construction date) will appear.

After your VIN has loaded, click (1) Vehicle Management Menu Button, (2) Troubleshooting Submenu button, and then (3) Text Search Tab. "Search string:" box appears; Enter A4011, press Enter key; List of 3 hits appears; Double-click "SSP A4011 Footwell module" and an FRM wiring diagram will appear.

Since the FRM Schematic has so many elements, you have to click on "Zoom in" ~ 6 times to read the detail, and then "Drag" the screen to view the Left side where power supply fuses are shown. If you then click on one of the BLUE Connector Labels, such as "X14260", you will see Installation Location & Connector View Tabs, which give you info necessary to test for voltage at a particular Connector/Socket, such as testing for voltage from fuse F84 at X14260/2, the Red/Green wire at Socket #2 of Connector X14260.

NONE of the above is going to immediately solve your problem, as I see NO likely way a bad FRM fuse is going to cause "Crank, NO Start". However, learning how to use the diagnostic tools available is worth the time.

MORE to the Point: you can use "Text Search" as described above to view the PT-CAN (Powertrain bus) in your 328xi, and inspect certain connectors for any water, corrosion, damaged pins/sockets, etc. which may prevent bus communication:
1) Enter PT-CAN in the Search String box, press Enter. When I do that on my ISTA installation, I get 7 "hits".
2) Double-click: SSP Powertrain CAN bus; wiring diagram for PT-CAN bus appears.
3) Note that the Red & Blue/Red bus wires connect to Sockets #2 & #1 of X14271 at the JBE, and to Sockets #1 & #14 of Connector X60001 at the DME.
4) Clicking on the BLUE Label of either of those connectors will display Location and Connector View (showing socket Identification). That information allows you to inspect and electrically test.
5) I would begin by looking for obvious moisture, corrosion or damage to pins/sockets at those two Connectors. Take photos and attach here if any issues/questions.
6) That is just the starting point for trying to locate cause of Bus failure. A fault at any of the other module bus connections COULD cause bus failure, so this may take other disassembly/ inspection/ testing, BUT you could get lucky.
George

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What we have here is a "Failure to Communicate". :)
Unfortunately ALL the Fault Codes you provided are "Communication Faults" related to LACK of communications between Modules (such as DSC & DME) via the PT-Can Bus, and/or K-CAN bus. A communication fault can arise from either (1) the transmitting Module NOT having Power Supply/Ground, OR (2) a BUS wiring/connector Fault.

Since BOTH Ancel Scan Tools show communication faults, and the BM700 shows Live Data (Datastream) to SOME degree, it is more likely that there is an issue with Power Supply or Bus Connection to a Module, such as the JBE, rather than the connection with the OBD II Socket. One "quick check": Since the JBE Module is the "Hub" for bus communications, check fuse F79 which supplies power to the JBE Module on 2008 & later E9x models.

The normal DIAGNOSIS process begins with reading fault codes, particularly in Modules possibly-related to issue (here DME & EKPS causing Crank, No Start). Unfortunately in YOUR case, NO fault codes are available other than "Communication" faults. That means if we want diagnostic information, we can ONLY get it from whatever "Live Data" is available from DME or EKPS (apparently NONE?) OR, we must find and correct the Bus Issue which is preventing communication between Modules.

As example, you attach a screen showing Parameters 1-5 of 5, where the first parameter is "Terminal 30A.light[V] 11.72V", and the 2nd parameter is "Terminal 30B.light[V] .07V". The 3rd & 4th parameters are voltage values related to power windows. What that Live Data suggests to me:
1) Since the FRM Module has 4 fuses supplying power to the module, 2 of which (F84 & F86) supply power to lights, and the other two (F41 & F81) supply power to the front window motors when activated, that appears to be Voltage of each of those 4 fuses.
2) Three of the 4 fuses have ~ 12V. "Terminal 30B.light" has only .07V. That should be the circuit for ONE of the two fuses: F84 or F86. I do NOT have any info on internal FRM circuitry that allows me to know WHICH of those two fuses is "Terminal 30B.light". The fuse may be "blown" (easy to check), OR the wiring/ connectors between one of those two fuses and the FRM (or within FRM itself) may have a fault.
3) If that theory is correct, SOME of your exterior lights will NOT work, while others will. For instance, Low Beam headlight will work on ONE side but NOT the other. One tail light doesn't work, another does, etc.

Now that is NOT of itself going to cause "Crank, NO start", but it at least suggests ways we MAY be able to get some clues on WHAT is causing the issue. Based upon what you have provided so far, since the Starter Cranks as it should, I assume the Remote Key Locks/Unlocks the doors? The Windows work? Do ALL window switches, on all doors work, or do only the FRONT windows work?

Since I don't know what Ancel "Menu system" was used to access the FRM Live Data you showed, I don't know if there is a way to try to access DME Live Data. What happens when you do that? Can you see ANY parameter for the DME, such as KL87 Voltage (that is DME Main Relay Voltage)?

Since you have ISTA installed on a laptop, be aware that ISTA can provide detailed, interactive, wiring diagrams (SSP Documents) which you can view, WITHOUT any connection to the vehicle. Simply enter the Last-7 Characters of your VIN (NN80097) in the "Input VIN" box which appears when you click the "Operations" Menu button (top-left of opening INPA Screen). In ~ 15 seconds, some of your vehicle details (such as E90, 328xi, N51 Engine, AUTO Gearbox, 2011/11 Construction date) will appear.

After your VIN has loaded, click (1) Vehicle Management Menu Button, (2) Troubleshooting Submenu button, and then (3) Text Search Tab. "Search string:" box appears; Enter A4011, press Enter key; List of 3 hits appears; Double-click "SSP A4011 Footwell module" and an FRM wiring diagram will appear.

Since the FRM Schematic has so many elements, you have to click on "Zoom in" ~ 6 times to read the detail, and then "Drag" the screen to view the Left side where power supply fuses are shown. If you then click on one of the BLUE Connector Labels, such as "X14260", you will see Installation Location & Connector View Tabs, which give you info necessary to test for voltage at a particular Connector/Socket, such as testing for voltage from fuse F84 at X14260/2, the Red/Green wire at Socket #2 of Connector X14260.

NONE of the above is going to immediately solve your problem, as I see NO likely way a bad FRM fuse is going to cause "Crank, NO Start". However, learning how to use the diagnostic tools available is worth the time.

MORE to the Point: you can use "Text Search" as described above to view the PT-CAN (Powertrain bus) in your 328xi, and inspect certain connectors for any water, corrosion, damaged pins/sockets, etc. which may prevent bus communication:
1) Enter PT-CAN in the Search String box, press Enter. When I do that on my ISTA installation, I get 7 "hits".
2) Double-click: SSP Powertrain CAN bus; wiring diagram for PT-CAN bus appears.
3) Note that the Red & Blue/Red bus wires connect to Sockets #2 & #1 of X14271 at the JBE, and to Sockets #1 & #14 of Connector X60001 at the DME.
4) Clicking on the BLUE Label of either of those connectors will display Location and Connector View (showing socket Identification). That information allows you to inspect and electrically test.
5) I would begin by looking for obvious moisture, corrosion or damage to pins/sockets at those two Connectors. Take photos and attach here if any issues/questions.
6) That is just the starting point for trying to locate cause of Bus failure. A fault at any of the other module bus connections COULD cause bus failure, so this may take other disassembly/ inspection/ testing, BUT you could get lucky.
George
Correction:
I did have fuse 84 missing, forgot to place back in.
Windshield wiper relay is unplugged due to faulty resistance.

I tried to reset and delete any an all codes and these are what still doesn't clear. No progress on ISTA, still getting a red map/ no connection. Just confused as to how my Scanner is able to pull all this info and my ISTA is not able to. Im starting to think ISTA settings are wrong somehow? I've checked BMW doctor's video and made sure to change all setting for COM1 etc.

With voltmeter, camshaft plug power supply signal wire is not reading 5v but instead 121mv, my power supply from plug does come out to be 12v

Also on Data stream, I'm receiving data that the "vehicle stationary" says "no" not sure if this would be affecting anything but I'd rather mention it than not.

CODES from scanner are in order from 1st photo.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, ISTA was not connecting because of cable. Luckily I had a 2nd one and for some reason it works! There is no switch on it. Here is the control tree , i'm new to ISTA so its taking me a minute to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm assuming its a CAS and DME realignment/ reset? Had to recharge battery and doing a little more digging today! I have fuse 59 off and wiper relay off, should get replacements today.

Attachments

· Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,497 Posts
Update, ISTA was not connecting because of cable... Here is the control tree... I'm assuming its a CAS and DME realignment/ reset?[WHY do you assume that?] ... I have fuse 59 off and wiper relay off, should get replacements today.
I know it hard to immediately become "Objective" and report all necessary information when you have an issue with YOUR car (your baby ;-), but we can help BEST if you answer questions posed.
I presume the primary issue NOW is "Crank, NO Start"?
Why did you remove fuse F59? That powers the "TEL/MULF" & "CBX" Modules which are RED (NOT communicating) on your "Tree". The fact that the wipers were running without activation by the Stalk Switch at steering wheel is/was likely due to scrambled bus communications, rather than a faulty relay.

However it's EASIER to actually learn something and solve problems when we focus on ONE ISSUE at-a-time. As for me: "Multi-tasking" is for "Scatter-brains". :eek: I can walk & chew gum at the same time, but NEITHER requires analysis & problem solving.:geek: So my suggestion is: FOCUS on the Crank, NO Start Issue. First, to Answer your question regarding:

What ISTA Tree now shows:
1) You have FOUR (4) Bus lines: K-CAN, PT-CAN, MOST, Internal; ALL are Now shown
2) Four RED Modules means NO Communication with that Module, usually due to lack of Power Supply (CBX & TEL/MULF) or lack of bus communication (likely cause of VTG/Transfer Case Module and DSC Modules being shown in RED, although if you randomly pulled fuses as some unfortunately do, those two modules may also be "incommunicado" due to LACK of power supply.
3) Seven Yellow Modules (including JBE at top-center) mean there are Fault Codes Saved in Fault Memory in each of those Modules. There are "33" total fault codes that will appear when "Fault Memory" is displayed. "Display Fault Memory" button is at bottom-right of the Control Unit Tree Screen. Pressing that button is "Next Step" in diagnosis.

HOUSE-KEEPING Note:
I attached a pdf: "ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan", to Post #4 in this thread. Please review that for HOW to use ISTA to solve your 'Crank, No Start' issue. Please also follow the procedure on the last page of that pdf, p.9, regarding saving & posting ScreenPrints so YOU have a record of what you did, and WE can see what ISTA shows, to assist in the Diagnosis (Play along at home ;-) MUCH easier on our eyes if you post ScreenPrints instead of photos of computer screen (bottom-right corner NOT in photo ;-)

Crank, NO Start:
1) At Control Unit Tree, click on "Display Fault Memory" button at bottom-right of screen. A list of fault codes appears. If you still have 33 total fault codes, that list will be at least two pages long (2 or more screens). View/Save/Post all screens showing fault codes. HOWEVER, getting a List of Fault Codes is ONLY the Beginning of Diagnosis.

2) If you're following the pdf, you're NOW on page 5, viewing the "Fault Memory" Tab. Double-click the First Line identifying a fault code in the DME Module. As described in the pdf, SAVE/Post a ScreenPrint of each screen containing information (Description/ Details) of EACH DME Fault Code.

3) If that's too much trouble or takes too much time for now, Just post the Fault List (Fault Memory) ScreenPrints, and the first few DME Description/ Details screen. The actual "Learning Process" is in analyzing those DETAILS, and trying to "Make Sense" of them, relative to what your vehicle is doing (Crank, NO Start).

Diagnosis is a PROCESS. Learning how to use NEW, Powerful Software is also a Process. Take it SLOW. Don't over-load or assume it's EASY. Understanding anything complex is NEVER EASY.
George

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are the faults I received. Following the SAE perm fault code instructions, I'm getting an error through the process of "ABL_DIT_AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ" on the 2nd step on continuing.
Also I'm not able to "delete fault memory" going through the process I get a window asking me to turn off terminal R and remove key from insert. Once I do, I get no option to continue only to "cancel"
than I have to "start vehicle test" once again to get the control tree back. I'm leaning towards a DME-CAS realignment but I also do not get an option for DME-CAS alignment only
"DME-CAS interface"

Attachments

· Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,497 Posts
These are the faults I received. [ NO!, Those two ScreenPrints are "Test Plan", which you get AFTER displaying the Fault Memory List. See the prior post AND the pdf attached to post #4 in this thread.] Following the SAE perm fault code instructions, I'm getting an error through the process of "ABL_DIT_AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ" on the 2nd step on continuing. [Please explain that, and/or attach a ScreenPrint of that error Message] Also I'm not able to "delete fault memory" [WHY are you trying to Delete/Clear Fault Memory, when you haven't even followed the instructions provided for Viewing/Saving/Posting Fault Memory and Fault Descriptions & Details.]...
If you will provide the ScreenPrints requested in prior post, I will try to help. Otherwise, we are going in circles.
George

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im confused on how to get the screenprints on a pdf. Im assuming it goes straight to a pre-set folder, but I dont seem to find them. Usually throught a printer selection I can save to pdf but I dont see any option.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ctuna Thank you very much. Made the process smoother.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts