BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I downloaded ISTA+ from www.Bimmer diagnostics.com (latest version) for purposes of updating my stock ECU and TCU on my 2019 BMW M5 Competition with the latest firmware. I am using an OBD/ENET cable. However, after I run a vehicle test, the software. Update button is grayed out, and you cannot select that option. How do I fix? Not sure if I installed correctly or whether I need to perform additional steps.
Any help will be much appreciated (also I noticed the newest version of ISTA says ISTA+ (C) BMW GROUP in the upper left of the software. My older versions just said ISTA+ not sure whether that matters

·
Registered
398 Posts
So I downloaded ISTA+ from www.Bimmer diagnostics.com (latest version) for purposes of updating my stock ECU and TCU on my 2019 BMW M5 Competition with the latest firmware. I am using an OBD/ENET cable. However, after I run a vehicle test, the software. Update button is grayed out, and you cannot select that option. How do I fix? Not sure if I installed correctly or whether I need to perform additional steps.
Any help will be much appreciated (also I noticed the newest version of ISTA says ISTA+ (C) BMW GROUP in the upper left of the software. My older versions just said ISTA+ not sure whether that matters
To program the car with ISTA rather than just doing diagnostics you need a dealer level ICOM device and the full PSdZData database.
You can use ESYS with an ENET cable to program the car but you need the latest ESYS Launcher PRO or pay for ESYSx.

Your car is still under warranty so ask BMW to update the software to the latest iLevel. If you do it yourself you may invalidate the warranty if things go wrong with the impacted ECUs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To program the car with ISTA rather than just doing diagnostics you need a dealer level ICOM device and the full PSdZData database.
You can use ESYS with an ENET cable to program the car but you need the latest ESYS Launcher PRO or pay for ESYSx.

Your car is still under warranty so ask BMW to update the software to the latest iLevel. If you do it yourself you may invalidate the warranty if things go wrong with the impacted ECUs.
My car heavily modified and tuned
I want to be able to flash ECU snd TCU back to stock at home with most recent firmware if possible

how can I do this and what do I need and where do I get it

·
Premium Member
40,761 Posts
My car heavily modified and tuned
I want to be able to flash ECU snd TCU back to stock at home with most recent firmware if possible

how can I do this and what do I need and where do I get it
Flash with E-Sys and PSdZData Full.

E-Sys - Flashing ECU Guide v.1.0.1.pdf:

PM sent.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If update is greyed out, probably the psdzdata is not integrated into application.
So make sure you have full data in pc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If update is greyed out, probably the psdzdata is not integrated into application.
So make sure you have full data in pc
Sorry for the noob question but how do I ensure it’s integrated properly

keep in mind that ISTA is saved and being run off an external drive attached a USB to my
Computer
Also the psdzdata files are enormous .. do I literally need every psdzdata file or can I just load a subset relevant for load most recent TCU and ECU software /
Firmware for the f90

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sorry for the noob question but how do I ensure it’s integrated properly

keep in mind that ISTA is saved and being run off an external drive attached a USB to my
Computer
Also the psdzdata files are enormous .. do I literally need every psdzdata file or can I just load a subset relevant for load most recent TCU and ECU software /
Firmware for the f90
As I said, unless you have the dealer level ICOM Interface you can NOT use ISTA. You need to use ESYS with the full set of PSdZData database files.
Follow @shawnsheridan’s advice as there is no one more knowledgeable on the forum than him and be very careful.

·
Registered
259 Posts
“Dealer level icom interface” is a bit misleading. Simply put he need either icom or enet and full ista or esys with full psdzdata.

Note: if you need single modules flashing, even lite data is enough in esys but ensuring the presence of software files for those modules only.

·
Registered
398 Posts
“Dealer level icom interface” is a bit misleading. Simply put he need either icom or enet and full ista or esys with full psdzdata.

Note: if you need single modules flashing, even lite data is enough in esys but ensuring the presence of software files for those modules only.
Unless you have that dealer level interface your only option is to use an ENET cable and ESYS!

·
Registered
259 Posts
@1FASTF90

Long story short.

1 - if your objective is to flash back to factory only two modules, esys is the way to go. And you will use standard esys and not launcher which was given previously as suggestion. Launcher is obsolete for this kind of operation.
2 - If your objective is to update the entire car, then ISTA is the best option. Esys can do that too.

3 - If you go with option 1 and you are lack of full psdzdata, you can use lite data and i can provide the missing files for both modules.

Cables Reliability by order:
1 - Genuine Icom
2 - ENET
3 - Clone ICOM

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@1FASTF90

Long story short.

1 - if your objective is to flash back to factory only two modules, esys is the way to go. And you will use standard esys and not launcher which was given previously as suggestion. Launcher is obsolete for this kind of operation.
2 - If your objective is to update the entire car, then ISTA is the best option. Esys can do that too.

3 - If you go with option 1 and you are lack of full psdzdata, you can use lite data and i can provide the missing files for both modules.

Cables Reliability by order:
1 - Genuine Icom
2 - ENET
3 - Clone ICOM

Hope it helps.
I guess I am not sure what I need to do.. Basically my tuner is concerned that my DME (ECU and TCU) may have some corruptions. So he wants me to flash the ECU and TCU to complete factory setting to ensure that it's starting with a clean slate. So, however I do that update of the ECU and TCU on the DMEs. I want them clear of any and all previous coding, if any. If that's just two modules, then great!

Btw the above has confused me as to what I need ESYS vd ISTA/ ICOM vs. ENET.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I guess I am not sure what I need to do.. Basically my tuner is concerned that my DME (ECU and TCU) may have some corruptions. So he wants me to flash the ECU and TCU to complete factory setting to ensure that it's starting with a clean slate. So, however I do that update of the ECU and TCU on the DMEs. I want them clear of any and all previous coding, if any. If that's just two modules, then great!

your need is clear. You want to flash individual modules only. So focus on Esys. Either with ENET or ICOM, does not matter.

·
Registered
398 Posts

You need ESYS and an ENET cable as has been mentioned numerous times.
This is not a process for the feint hearted and you will need a power supply and solid knowledge of the flashing process. @shawnsheridan has PMd you the details for you to get access to the software components and also a link to the ESYS ECU flash guide. Follow those and come back if you have questions.

If your tuner is saying your DME is corrupt, maybe he or she should fix it.

·
Registered
G30 520d
4 Posts
Hey guys,
instead of opening up an entirely new thread, I thought posting my question here, as it fits to the context discussed above. As I would like to retrofit the LCI tail lights to my 2018 G30, the measures plan in ISTA+ requires an I-Step upgrade from my 2020/07 to the 2021/03 version and some coding.

I just wanted to confirm that my action plan is correct so far.

1. Connect car to Gysflash 100.12 (should have enough charging current with up to 100A) at 13.6V
2. Enable ENET programming in the ISTA registry
3. Perform the measures plan for I-Step Upgrade
4. Perform the measures plan for LCI tail light retrofit

Anything I'm missing here?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey guys,
instead of opening up an entirely new thread, I thought posting my question here, as it fits to the context discussed above. As I would like to retrofit the LCI tail lights to my 2018 G30, the measurement plan in ISTA+ requires an I-Step upgrade from my 2020/07 to the 2021/03 version and some coding.

I just wanted to confirm that my action plan is correct so far.

1. Connect car to Gysflash 100.12 (should have enough charging current with up to 100A) at 13.6V
2. Enable ENET programming in the ISTA registry
3. Perform the measurement plan for I-Step Upgrade
4. Perform the measurement plan for LCI tail light retrofit

Anything I'm missing here?
The only thing you are missing is that you can NOT programme/flash the car with ISTA and an ENET cable. This has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Programming can be done using ESYS and an ENET cable
OR
ISTA + ICOM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts