BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions on the DICE Ipod integration vs. the iSupply model by Peripheral Electronics.. Both seem to claim to do pretty much the same things such as charging the Ipod, having a readout on the radio, steering wheel controls, etc.... Any pros and cons to either model. Also, my '99 328 doesn't have a cd changer or the hookups for one in the trunk. Can these models still be installed directly to the factory radio ?? thanks.

·
European Auto Source
890 Posts
The Dice Silverline can plug in right behind your factory radio if you have Business CD (the non-Navigation Model). You'll need the radio interface to do so though. Install is very straight-forward and simple. Steering wheel controls are all functional with the DICE and you can easily ask us for any questions via our Tech Support line. Here's what you need for your car:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Radio Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=1620

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmitters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song
- Browse by Individual Playlist
- Browse by Individual Albums
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

If you have any questions please feel free to let me know :)

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
An item that would be interesting to know with these iPod interfaces is whether they add to or substitute what's already in the car. In other words and for example, if you have a CD changer, does the iPod interface replace the changer or do you get to keep both?

·
European Auto Source
890 Posts
An item that would be interesting to know with these iPod interfaces is whether they add to or substitute what's already in the car. In other words and for example, if you have a CD changer, does the iPod interface replace the changer or do you get to keep both?
With the Dice Silverline it does use the CD Changer harness therefore it uses that mode on the CD player up front. All this means is that yes, you will not have CD changer functions unless you get this with it as well:

DICE iPod/CD Changer/Sirius Interface Cable
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=235

Allows for our DICE iPod integration kit or factory BMW CD Changer to be integrated with BMW's Sirius radio at the same time. This simple interface cable plugs into the 12-pin slave secondary port on the factory Sirius module and allows the DICE iPod kit, or CD Changer to plug into the 3-pin and 6-pin connectors on the other end.

I hope that helps :thumbup:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
I don't have experience with the iSupply kit but I can vouch for the DICE SilverLine Kit. I've had it in my E46 for a few years now and it's a solid setup if you are looking for a complete integration into the factory headunit with plug and play installation. I especially like the fact that you can control it from the iPod or steering wheel.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for some opinions on the DICE Ipod integration vs. the iSupply model by Peripheral Electronics.. Both seem to claim to do pretty much the same things such as charging the Ipod, having a readout on the radio, steering wheel controls, etc.... Any pros and cons to either model. Also, my '99 328 doesn't have a cd changer or the hookups for one in the trunk. Can these models still be installed directly to the factory radio ?? thanks.
Are you sure you don't mean iSimple? If so - this offers no other features than the BMW kit, including its lack of text display.

The DICE trumps the kit in features and supports all current models iPods/iPhones.

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
I'll just say for the record that I installed the Dice Silverline in my 330 about a year ago and haven't looked back. It was a really straightforward installation, though I am constantly amused by the amount of wire required to have my iPod hooked up (running all the way across the car to the CD-changer interface in the trunk) a mere foot and a half from the head unit!

I think both of the units replace the CD changer entirely as far as I know. I had a changer in my car when I bought it, but I stripped it out... I mean, why have six CD's worth when you can have 80Gb of music in an iPod Video? Seemed rather redundant to me :) YMMV, but I've never pined for my CD changer, and if I REALLY want to play a CD a friend gave me before I rip it to the iPod, there's always the CD in the dash!

I have hit one or two minor issues; the Dice has a funny habit of putting my iPod in "Repeat One" and "Shuffle Albums". If it does the latter, it just irritates me because I prefer "shuffle songs"... and the former then results in the same song playing repeatedly and annoyingly. I just change these options and it's fine... but annoying. Note that I have my Dice configured for control from the iPod since I don't like the way the head unit integration works with the 2001 Business CD... I prefer iPod display and some control. YMMV.

Oh, on the odd occasion I've turned on the stereo to hear nothing but a buzz... I've found that resetting the power by unplugging and plugging back in the harness in the trunk clears that. Irritating occasionally, but not a game-changer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure you don't mean iSimple? If so - this offers no other features than the BMW kit, including its lack of text display.

The DICE trumps the kit in features and supports all current models iPods/iPhones.
My bad...... I think it may be called the iSimple. I do know that it is made by Peripheral Electronics though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts