Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_8113.jpg

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. It will be -30 to -40 next week. If I could upload vids here I’d upload my -45 cold start from last year. I do plan on relocating to California as I’m sick of the weather here.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
There is more to avoid in California than the weather. I left in 1969 after growing up in the Santa Clara Valley. I am glad to have four distinct seasons in a year even if six months are winter. I am glad to live with people just like me.

My VW TDI was about six years old when we went to the local theater and started the TDI and drove home at -35°F. It grumbled and maybe took an extra turn but started and ran.

·
Bluebirds fan in USA
190 Posts
View attachment 834165

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. It will be -30 to -40 next week. If I could upload vids here I’d upload my -45 cold start from last year. I do plan on relocating to California as I’m sick of the weather here.

And when it's that cold, the celsius to fahrenheit conversion doesn't matter. -40C = -40F :D
BTW, it's 70F here. Great day to make sure the panoramic sunroof in my X3 still works :thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is more to avoid in California than the weather. I left in 1969 after growing up in the Santa Clara Valley. I am glad to have four distinct seasons in a year even if six months are winter. I am glad to live with people just like me.

My VW TDI was about six years old when we went to the local theater and started the TDI and drove home at -35°F. It grumbled and maybe took an extra turn but started and ran.

I actually wanted to buy one of those TDI VWs before. The one I was interested in was a Touareg because I wanted a bigger vehicle and I often drive from Canada to AZ and I heard they get phenomenal range. I didn’t end up buying one because 1. The last VW I had was a lemon .. 2. A friend of mine is a master Volkswagen mechanic and although he says the Powertrain is good on those he did say the electricals were wonky due to the number of line of codes VW squeezes into it and 3. The extreme climate here. I remember back in the days my very first job was washing cars at this collision centre, and one of the cars was a 2002 Jetta TDI that was sitting overnight at -30. It took a lot of effort to get it going but it did eventually come to life and made one of the coolest start up sounds I’ve ever heard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Baby its cold outside

Nothing like you Yukoners but this am it was minus 12 F as we drove to work in MIchigans UP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts