BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You always read about it here on the "fest" but you never think it is going to happen to you. On my way to an appointment an hour from home yesterday I hit the mother of all potholes and it blew out both tires on the right side of the car. As I've tried very hard to find the silver lining in all of this I'd thought I would share a few positives about this experience. Despite there being holes in the sidewall of both tires the vehicle was stable and got me the rest of the 10 miles it took to reach my final destination. BMW emergency services was also great ( I always wanted to push the SOS button ). BMW services contacted the nearest dealer, helped ensure tires were in stock and they could get it done that day, and added the destination into the Nav. After my appointment I was still able to make it an additional 10 miles to the dealership and didn't require the services of a tow truck. I know a lot of people complain about the run flats but even if I had normal tires with a spare I still would be stuck because it took out two tires completely. I don't know many people that carry around two spares. So in the end despite the outrageous replacement cost the system does work and only truly cost me a slight delay in returning home last night. The kicker to all of this is that I'm due to take delivery of a new X3 in two weeks where the current 335 is due to be traded and I'm now out the cost four new tires. The previous set was due to be replaced in the next 2k miles so I would be interested to hear how much of the 2100 everyone thinks I might recoup on the trade in value? Thoughts/opinions are always welcome. -Cheers

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

You have a good point about multi-flats.

That totally sucks about needing to replace 4 expensive tires for somebody else's benefit.

I'm due for service in June-25,000 miles- and I'm pretty sure they will tell me it's rft replacement time.

Anyhow, the new X3 should be sweet-it has one of BMW's nicest interiors. :)

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
The previous set was due to be replaced in the next 2k miles so I would be interested to hear how much of the 2100 everyone thinks I might recoup on the trade in value?
If the tires were nearly worn out, it was a sunk cost (with the new tires the car's value is $X, instead of $X minus $2100) so you may be one of the very few who has done OK with the runflats. Hope you didn't bend the wheels!

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
$2100 for two tires? :jawdrop: I hope that was for two new tires *and* rims.

EDIT: Just saw that was for four tires. Still pretty steep, dealer prices notwithstanding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The previous set was due to be replaced in the next 2k miles so I would be interested to hear how much of the 2100 everyone thinks I might recoup on the trade in value? Thoughts/opinions are always welcome. -Cheers
WOW - The last set of 4 tires I bought were less than $1,500! (OEM Potenza RFT's)

Did prices just go up or did I get a hell of a deal!? :yikes:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
The trick most likely is don't buy and have them installed at a BMW dealer, if you want to save some money.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
The previous set was due to be replaced in the next 2k miles so I would be interested to hear how much of the 2100 everyone thinks I might recoup on the trade in value? Thoughts/opinions are always welcome. -Cheers
Enlighten us. What 2100, which I'm guessing is $2100 for 4 tires.

Or was that tires & wheels?

Trade in? Little or no benefit. You'll do better selling from Craig's List.

---> TIP ...Trumpeting suddenly new tires & wheels might raise antennae of prospective buyers. They'll notice tread depth on their own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news

The cost of 2100 was for four new tires, alignment, and mounting/balancing. I could of done a little bit better with tire rack but the bonus of same day service away from home was worth it. I was also able to take advantage of a rebate bridgestone is having now and will save an additional 100 via amex gift card. This whole incident makes me think tire insurance on my inbound x3 is a must.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
And of course, it's always good to find out that "run flats do work."

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,525 Posts
Although I no longer have them, I am a believer in RFT when done right (recent ones are getting better). In the alst 10 years, I had 2 flats in horrible traffic conditions so I can see some value here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
WOW, great story.

But $2100.00 OMG that is alot of money, that works out to be about $525.00a tire. Are run flats that expensive at the dealers? I had no idea they cost this much.

I took delivery back in Nov and did not get the tire insurance. I can't believe it's gonna cost this much to replace them. I thought they were about $350 to $400 a tire.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
WOW, great story.

But $2100.00 OMG that is alot of money, that works out to be about $525.00a tire. Are run flats that expensive at the dealers? I had no idea they cost this much.

I took delivery back in Nov and did not get the tire insurance. I can't believe it's gonna cost this much to replace them. I thought they were about $350 to $400 a tire.
The OP payed a premium for the convenience of having his dealer handle the replacement.

From Tire Rack, 2008 335i Sedan, base model (does not include mounting and balancing):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResultsB.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2008&autoModel=335i+Sedan&autoModClar=Base+Model&width=225/&ratio=45&diameter=17&sortCode=49650&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S&tab=OE&filterType=oe&sortValue=0

2008 335i Sedan, Sport Package (does not include mounting and balancing):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResultsB.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2008&autoModel=335i+Sedan&autoModClar=Sport+Package&frontWidth=225/&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=53650&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54100&tab=OE&filterType=oe&sortValue=0

·
Registered
377 Posts
RFT's are the wave of the future.

People fail to realize that RFT's were invented to minimize hassles, and provide convenience and safety to drivers.

Every week I see some poor sap on the side of the road, trying to change a tire. If he/she had an RFT, they wouldn't need to change a tire out in the cold, on a highway, possibly in the rain. If they had RFT's, they would continue at cruising speed, till they reach a BMW service station. Coffee, television provided... tire is fixed in 60 minutes and under warranty (if you took the extra warranty). Amazing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
So are tsunamis.

In both cases, highly unfortunate.

I want a spare and a jack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, dealer replacement of RFTs are expensive.
Had my front Dunlops replaced due to bumps in the sidewalls at 10,000 miles. Cost was $950 for 2 tires, mounting, balancing etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
HI:

I too am a car enthusiast and love non run flats(it's what's on my 2011 M3), but I am also an orthopaedic trauma surgeon and have taken care of many who were injured trying to change a tire....i.e. hit while on the shoulder changing tire...This senerio is much more common than you think.....In fact it seems to happen quite often.....At where I work, albiet I am at a Level 1 trauma center, we get this senerio at least once a month......I think not having to change a tire under sub-optimal conditions is a huge safety factor.....I'm glad to hear from others on this forum that RFT technology is getting better and look forward to the day in which the differences in ride and performance of RFT matches that of non-RFT's....I would personally prefer RFT's .....just not available in M3 sizes or performance as yet....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts