BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up at Shell today. Always the same station and the same pump every time. I'm just anal about that. After filling up (93 V-Power), I went to grocery store. After getting back into the car ,I went to start it up and it just kept turning over and over. After 4 seconds or so, I turned it off and attempted to start again. It fired right up. I suspect it may be fuel pump but not sure. Filter replaced 1K miles ago. Car was low on fuel but nowhere near empty. I did notice earlier this week I had belt squealing but saw no signs or ware. Could this possibly be related to startup? Voltage steady between 13.6V -13.8v. Idle roughly 700RPM. Was saving money for suspension but I fear that may be put on standby for now. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Maybe cold related? Mine was doing about the same thing when I started it cold the last 7-10 days. It acts like it doesn't get fuel but fires up after a short break.

I feel like the character from "Of Mice and Men"... "tell me it's the cold, tell me it's not something else..."

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Sounds like it, but could be fuel filter or something else.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
There is a phenomenon called "cylinder wash" or something like that ... which has those symptoms ... but still ... it's rare ... so I'd lean toward the fuel pump.

It's hard to test intermittent problems but here's the test:
- DIY for testing (1) and replacing the fuel pump (1) & your available options (1)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a phenomenon called "cylinder wash" or something like that ... which has those symptoms ... but still ... it's rare ... so I'd lean toward the fuel pump.

It's hard to test intermittent problems but here's the test:
- DIY for testing (1) and replacing the fuel pump (1) & your available options (1)
TY Blue. I will keep a watchfull eye on the LPH and record data.

·
wannabe DIY'er
332 Posts
Could be the CPS (campostionsensor) starting to go, that would be better than fuel pump.
I started mine the other morning and it died right away and I thought, "MAN, I replaced my CPS 6-8 months ago".... then I remembered that I had unplugged the MAF earlier and I must have forgot to plug it back in..... sure enough, plugged her back in and all is good.

If I were you I'd just keep an eye on it. These cars are weird, and sometimes we just have to ignore it and it will go away ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts