BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Itinerary advice

1899 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  M FUNF
*****Final Itinerary Below in new post!! (#11)*****

Taking delivery on Sept 10 (M5) and need some advice on travel planning. Current plans are to pick up in Munich on Sept 10 (Mon) and drop off in Paris on Sept 14 (Fri). I am specifically looking for advice on a route from Nurbergring to Paris via Switzerland. My current plans are as follows:

Sat 9/8: Leave US, arrive Munich Sun 9/9. Staying at Kings Hotel.

Mon 9/10 am pick up BMW drive to Nurburgring. Staying at Sabine Schmitz hotel Mon and Tues nights. (Was going to spend 2 full days/3nights, but tourist laps are so limited, not really worth it. Will have to make a dedicated ring trip in the future.)

Wed 9/12. Need the help here. Was going to drive directly to Paris, but many have suggested going through Switzerland. Thinking about leaving the ring Wed am and heading south. Overnight in Switzerland, then Thurs 9/12 leaving for Paris. What passes/routes do you suggest? Zurich vs. Lucerne vs. others? Hotels/B&B?

Thurs 9/13 arrive Paris, drop off car Fri, fly out Sun.

TIA. Open for all suggestions and comments. I did look through the wiki and have spoken to some people, but need to finalize my plans.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Hi,

that's a lot of driving in a few days :)
From the Nuerburgring to Paris there aren't too many scenic detours/routes as it's
mostly flat :(
If you're up for a detour along the route (appr 2hrs) you could
You could do a scenic drive through the northern Vosges mountains.
Somewhere along the lines of , get off at exit 46(town of Hochelden) of the Autoroute
(French highway) A4 to Bouxwiller, then on to Wimmenau and finally to La Petite-Pierre.
From La Petite-Pierre, you could head to Savern

A quick map I put together is at https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...IGH27mRzFglIxow4ILBA&oq=Savern&mra=ls&t=m&z=7

I am also planning my tour for my F10 M5 pickup on Oct 1st and plan to skip
the Nuerburgring but drive a number of mountain passes (Grossglockner, Silvretta, Kochelsee,
Lech am Arlberg, Spitzingsee, maybe Stelvio if weather and time permit) .

Good luck and enjoy your M5 !!!

- Jan
Hope you're leasing that M5 because taking it to the ring with no break in or personal driving experience with it is just about criminal. You better be creeping around the track, don't let the ego win.

Tonight's closure was brought to you by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAVaoUZFG_g&feature=player_embedded
No worries. I'm not looking to set any track records
Hope you're leasing that M5 because taking it to the ring with no break in or personal driving experience with it is just about criminal. You better be creeping around the track, don't let the ego win.

Tonight's closure was brought to you by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAVaoUZFG_g&feature=player_embedded
Good man. One of these days I'm going to do Paris, but probably not on an ED. I'm a fan of small cities when I have a car.

The main thing I want to see in France is Omaha beach and Mont St Michel. Alas, can't fit it in this time.
Not sure if I'm going to have time to do Omaha beach this time. Definitely on my bucket list.
Good man. One of these days I'm going to do Paris, but probably not on an ED. I'm a fan of small cities when I have a car.

The main thing I want to see in France is Omaha beach and Mont St Michel. Alas, can't fit it in this time.
Any advice on where to spent the night between the Ring and Paris? Looks like we will be leaving the Ring on Wed 9/12 in the morning and heading to Paris. Vinyards, cool towns, etc.? Would like to arrive in Paris sometime early evening Thurs 9/13.
Reims in Champagne, via Trier and Luxembourg.
Any advice on where to spent the night between the Ring and Paris? Looks like we will be leaving the Ring on Wed 9/12 in the morning and heading to Paris. Vinyards, cool towns, etc.? Would like to arrive in Paris sometime early evening Thurs 9/13.
Thanks. That looks perfect!
Reims in Champagne, via Trier and Luxembourg.
If you want to do a tour of one of the caves and to do a champagne tasting make sure you get a reservation. They have limited space and only a couple english speaking tours every day but without a doubt it is worth it.
Final Itinerary!

Arrive Munich Sept 9. Staying at King's hotel. Peter picking up from airport.

Sept 10th: 10:40 delivery at Welt. Not doing factory tour, but plan on going to museum. That afternoon driving to the Nurburgring.

Sept 10 & 11: Staying at Hotel am Tiergarten. Tourist laps at the ring Tues afternoon/evening. Any advice on what to see Tues morning and afternoon?

Sept 12th: Drive to Reims, France. Staying at Chateau les Crayeres. Dinner there that evening.

Sept 13: Tattinger tour in morning, then off to Paris. Arrive Paris in afternoon. Drop off car either Thurs or friday depending on schedule.

Sept 13-16: Paris. Fly back to US Sept 16th.

Any last minute advice or suggestions? Again thanks to all for the advice on this site! It has been a valuable resource!
Do not have your wallet in your back pocket in Paris. Inside zipper pocket of jacket or front pocket with your hand on it. The pickpockets in Paris are really good and there are many. You should love the chateau in Reims. We almost booked it for our stay. Have fun! Don't forget 12 hr photo compliance :)
Just to let you know, the museum is closed on Mondays. I'll be there too, picking up on the 10th at 10:30. We're planning to see the museum on Sunday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
THANK YOU!! We'll plan on going on Sunday the day we arrive. Do we hav eto stop at the Welt first for tickets?
Just to let you know, the museum is closed on Mondays. I'll be there too, picking up on the 10th at 10:30. We're planning to see the museum on Sunday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Since you are in the area I would suggest Burg Eltz, for a tour of a castle that has been and is still lived in by the family that built it. Then a drive down the Mosel River toward Trier, would be in order. Am Tiergarten is nice but 2 nights may be a bit much there is not a lot to do other than the "ring" in the area. Just can't get into the new M5 just too big, the E60 was large in Europe and the new F30 will be a whale.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.