BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon lads...

Had a question about my upcoming ED. I am taking delivery either 9/3 or 9/4, and was wondering about traveling to the Lake Come area.

My wife and I have never been to Italy. I would like to get somewhere that is nice, allows my wife to have some time in the sun/water, but allows me to get some time looking around and sightseeing.

Where have people stayed, or where do you recommend?

J

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
There are lots of options from small pensions to the Villa d'Este. People here seem to like Varenna, Bellagio, and Como (the city) in particular. Search for these and ask if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Good afternoon lads...

Had a question about my upcoming ED. I am taking delivery either 9/3 or 9/4, and was wondering about traveling to the Lake Come area.

My wife and I have never been to Italy. I would like to get somewhere that is nice, allows my wife to have some time in the sun/water, but allows me to get some time looking around and sightseeing.

Where have people stayed, or where do you recommend?

J
coontie recommendation is good.
I will offer variant B.
Munich-Zurich (stop for 3 hr)-Lucerne(sleep)-Como
3 hr for Zurich is plenty IMHO, but spend some time in Lucerne.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
A trip to Lake Como via St Moritz should be spectacular. Vacation of a lifetime, truly.

Rough draft:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...ll=47.115,10.568848&spn=2.201778,5.822754&z=8
I'd be tempted to take the more direct route through Garmisch and take more time through the Alps. A lot depends on when you'll pick up the car and begin your journey. If it's the afternoon and you'll be leaving directly for Italy, you may want to stay overnight somewhere between Imst and Scuol (or maybe in St. Moritz if you're feeling spendy). If you have a full day to drive you can make it to Como easily (and be there early enough for a little afternoon Punt a Mes by the lake).

I'd recommend looking for a place in Varenna if it's your first time there, although you almost can't go wrong anywhere in that area.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
For thos who have been to Lake Como -- what was your most memorable attraction?
In addition to the lake itself and great restaurants, you might want to visit the shrine of Madonna del Ghisallo in the hills above Bellagio. It contains a small bicycle racing museum.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I was thinking about staying in Milan, and then heading out to Como and the area. I will be leaving Munich the day after I pick the car up, so have plenty of time to get there.

I keep reading "bad", and I use that term loosely, things about being in Milan. Any specific thoughts.

J
From my personal experience - not that bad. If you have navigation - you should not have problem. Like any big city in Europe - try not enter or live city in a rush hour.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I was thinking about staying in Milan, and then heading out to Como and the area. I will be leaving Munich the day after I pick the car up, so have plenty of time to get there.

I keep reading "bad", and I use that term loosely, things about being in Milan. Any specific thoughts.

J
I'm one of those who like Milan as well as the lakes, but I don't see the point in staying in one and visiting the other unless you'll mostly visit A during the day and evening and make one day-trip to B. Then you save on the unpacking and re-packing.

Otherwise, hotels in both places can be expensive, and it is a fun drive to do once. So, if I were going to spend, say, four nights I'd split them two and two. For two nights total, I'd just pick one destination and spend the full day in the middle there (as well as the two partial days). I guess at three nights, it is somewhat a toss-up, but given my Italian car interests, if I were based in Milan my day trip by train would be to Turin, not Como.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I'm one of those who like Milan as well as the lakes
You not alone +1!

So, if I were going to spend, say, four nights I'd split them two and two.
Been in Milan twice and IMPHO - I will do 1+3, where is 1 day in Milan and 3 days in Como area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey..We are picking up our car on sept 5th.We plan to stay for a couple of days in Munich and then travel to Salsburg>2 days in Salzburg and then to the lake como region.What is your travel itenerary and have you got any good hotel deals?Keep me posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts