BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask for some opinions on itinerary's for our European Delivery. We are arriving in Munich on July 6th and have 1 week for our trip. Me and my wife have not been to Eastern Europe and we would like our trip to be a mix of both touristy and at the same time with some adventure. We are traveling in and out of Munich. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Given the desire to visit Eastern Europe, does that mean you plan no time in Austria and Germany at all other than in Munich for the delivery day?

In addition, you will need to provide insight into likes, dislikes, etc. (shopping, theatre, hiking, museums, castles, concerts, opera, etc.) and past travel experience in Central and Western Europe as a guide so others can provide the guidance you seek.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I had problems before with the distinctions people make between Central Europe and Eastern Europe. How far east do you want to go, remembering that the car can only go to EU countries plus Switzerland? In other words, some places are OK (e.g., Hungary) but others are not (e.g., Croatia). The current list is at: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...Fe2Bjl9Fvf68via9Jw4GKe8DFaD/9Xwpdp+WCRGjlvtU=

(NOTE to regulars: Monaco is now officially on the list. Maybe San Marino will be next!)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
The definition of Eastern Europe is easy to remember if you think of it as the countries between Central Europe and the Ural mountains.

We can define Central Europe more easily, since it includes Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Switzerland. Central Europe is a concept that is defined by a shared history moreso than anything else.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Using that broad a definition for "central" leaves only the following as permissible destinations in the "east":
- the three Baltic states
- Romania
- Bulgaria
Or have I missed some others? Possibly I could stretch it a bit north and south to include Finland and Cyprus. And I think I know some who would argue that Bulgaria and Cyprus, at least, were "south". :dunno:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Albania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Turkey (part of it), and Ukraine, just to name a few off the top of my head (it's harder trying to alphabetize them though).

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Central Europe is a concept .......
Kind of like the definition of the Midwestern United States being anything from Ohio to the Rockies? Or sometimes the Mississippi River to the Rockies or sometimes Ohio to Illinois or sometimes anyone of several different descriptions including Flyover Country? :D

Cheers

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Boy, 6 posts beating up the poor guy who just wants some a:bigpimp:dvice.
How do you figure that?

My original response asked him to clarify and then we riffed on the concept of Central and Eastern Europe and forgot about the OP entirely.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Boy, 6 posts beating up the poor guy who just wants some a:bigpimp:dvice.
Sorry about the digression. I was trying to focus on the points that (a) "Eastern" may be unclear in this case and (b) there are few "Eastern" countries allowed for travel with one's ED BMW. :angel:

To the OP:

Tell us where you are thinking of going, with or without your BMW, and we'll try to have lots of suggestions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
By no means was I trying to disrespect anyone's opinion. I too am looking for suggestions and value everyone's input. I just got off the phone with Lufthansa for a October 11th departure from Portland Or to Munich for my 1st ED. Already considering a second in 2 years, maybe an Audi(I need an suv so don't shoot me for considering a Q7)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
clarification

sorry to have created the confusion but in order to be more specific I am flying into Munich on July 7th an picking up the car on the 10th so have 2 full days in Munich so if people have suggestions of things to do ie tourist attractions in 2 days.

July10th pick up car and then do bmw factory tour. Would like to drive to Dacau. Can this be done on the same day?

The countries that we would like to visit include Switzerland. Our goals for the rest of the trip is to do one day of outdoor activities ie hiking and some type of adventure trip(heard interlaken is good for hat) any suggestions of hotels, and activities. Then considering driving to Zurich. Also does anyone know if it is expensive in these Switzerland as I know that they do hour use the euro.

Returning back to Munich on the 16th.

So ultimatey our goals are to see the best tourist attractions and do a bit of secenic outdoor activities

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
sorry to have created the confusion but in order to be more specific I am flying into Munich on July 7th an picking up the car on the 10th so have 2 full days in Munich so if people have suggestions of things to do ie tourist attractions in 2 days.

July10th pick up car and then do bmw factory tour. Would like to drive to Dacau. Can this be done on the same day?

The countries that we would like to visit include Switzerland. Our goals for the rest of the trip is to do one day of outdoor activities ie hiking and some type of adventure trip(heard interlaken is good for hat) any suggestions of hotels, and activities. Then considering driving to Zurich. Also does anyone know if it is expensive in these Switzerland as I know that they do hour use the euro.

Returning back to Munich on the 16th.

So ultimatey our goals are to see the best tourist attractions and do a bit of secenic outdoor activities
As for suggestions of what to do in Munich, a visit to Nymphenburg Palace would be merited, especially if the weather is nice and you want to enjoy its fountains and gardens. A tour of the interior including the Hall of Beauties should be included.

Yes, Dacau can be done in your time frame. We actually spent our first afternoon there upon our late morning arrival in Munich and then went to pick up the car the next day. It is a moderately priced cab ride from any hotel in Munich. Since we were cutting it close on visiting time ( I think the gates close at five or six PM) we taxied directly to Dachau and then came back on the commuter train system stopping in Marienplatz for sightseeing on the route back to the hotel.)

Yes. Switzerland is expensive compared to the other countries you list but the mountain air costs the same. I guess you could pack your picnic in Austria and bring it with you. Some have had success staying in mountainside hostels or pensions which might suit your adventuresome itinerary and keep the costs down.

Munich's Nymphenburg Palace:

The Palace Entrance Hall:

The room in Nymphenburg Palace where "Mad" King Ludwig was born. (This is where the royalty lived during the winters.)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Switzerland's major cities are expensive, even by European standards. But there are nice trips on the lakes at Zurich and Lucerne (Luzern) by boat that take you to interesting hiking areas. Or you can drive.

There are also very nice hiking areas in Bavaria and the nearby sections of Austria. I particularly like the Sud-tirol / Alto Adige part of Northern Italy -- great walking and hiking spots plus good food.

We can suggest specific locations in any of the above regions (as well as more to do and see in Munich). Also, you might want to use the "Search" function to gather some suggestions from previous discussions. (Look for the "search" button above and to the right.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Itinerary

So we are thinking of this itinerary, Let me know what you think

July 6th: fly out of EWR
July 7th Arriving in Munich-Settle in
July 8th-9th Explore Munich
July 10th: Pick up car and take tour

So now our flight leaves from Munich on July 14th and we would like to visit Lucerne, Interlaken and Zurich. Have heard that Interlaken has many adventure trips and Lucerne has some amazing views. If people can suggest how I can fit these 3 destinations in and the route to take and also hotels that would be great. Also wanted to do Dacau at some point in this trip. Also can I get to the castles outside of Munich without a car.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts