BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think I have this planned out.

30. Juli - arrive in Munich, Rolf pick-up, dinner with friends
31. Juli - early car pick-up in Freimann, quick stop at BMW Welt, drive to Budapest
3. August - depart Budapest, drive to Bratislava for the day, continue to Vienna.
4. August - hiking in Dürnstein, visit vineyards
5. August -Vienna
7. August - give up car in Vienna, return to NY

Not too rushed. Any suggestions.

Anyone know how detailed the current DVD is for Budapest or Bratislava?

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
How could we? Be like telling Mike Jordan how to shoot a jump shot. :D

Cheers

·
Custom User
760 Posts
How will you spend your 3 days in Budapest, 2 in Vienna?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the_fox said:
How will you spend your 3 days in Budapest, 2 in Vienna?
I haven't been to Budapest since Gulyas Communism was in effect so it will be interesting to see what's changed, see if my favorite caf***233; makes good palacsinta etc. It's really 2 days in Budapest by the way.

In Vienna, I play tour guide to my partner who has never been there. So Sch***246;nbrunn, Prater/Riesenrad, K***228;rtnerstra***223;e, Dom, Hofburg, perhaps the Kursalon, just off the top of my head. I need to stock up on provisions at Meinl and also visit the history of photography museum, which I am involved in.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kanuck said:
I missed the specs of the car. What are you getting?
Sure, joining the Sparkling Graphite 330xi in the family is a Japanrot (electric red in the U.S.) 325i with comfort access, satnav/iDrive, Bluetooth, and the usual premium package amenities.

·
Happily Driving
7,205 Posts
Hopefully you will find some time to drink the local brews! :D

What, no sport package? :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me530 said:
Hopefully you will find some time to drink the local brews! :D
I plan to specialize in Grüner Veltliner and Zweigelt actually plus Gösser.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Me530 said:
What, no sport package? :)
I would hate to ignite another SP or not argument, but SP does seem like a relatively good deal, when compared to the price BMW wants for many other options. Jspira, I'm just curious for your thinking on this.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kanuck said:
I would hate to ignite another SP or not argument, but SP does seem like a relatively good deal, when compared to the price BMW wants for many other options. Jspira, I'm just curious for your thinking on this.
In this case, I prefered sport package, my partner didn´t.

Also, we didn´t want to have two cars (the 330xi and the 325i) where we have to switch over wheels and tires for winter.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Please report back on Bratislava. Some of my wife's ancestors came from what is now Slovakia, and we have been thinking of visiting Pressburg/Prešporok/Bratislava. The photobook we have does not make it seem very appealing. It looks rather gray compared to Budapest or Kiev, so we would appreciate a scouting report.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Jspira said:
OK, I think I have this planned out.

30. Juli - arrive in Munich, Rolf pick-up, dinner with friends
31. Juli - early car pick-up in Freimann, quick stop at BMW Welt, drive to Budapest
3. August - depart Budapest, drive to Bratislava for the day, continue to Vienna.
5. August -Vienna
7. August - give up car in Vienna, return to NY

Not too rushed. Any suggestions.

Anyone know how detailed the current DVD is for Budapest or Bratislava?
J, enjoy your time at Budapest. I was there 2 years ago, I had a good time. Food was wonderful.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
b-y said:
Please report back on Bratislava. Some of my wife's ancestors came from what is now Slovakia, and we have been thinking of visiting Pressburg/Prešporok/Bratislava. The photobook we have does not make it seem very appealing. It looks rather gray compared to Budapest or Kiev, so we would appreciate a scouting report.
Ja, I haven't been to Pressburg since I was little; we had some great aunts who were from there.

I have a friend who is native to Pressburg and lives there, ahem Bratislava, and he is taking us around.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mason said:
J, enjoy your time at Budapest. I was there 2 years ago, I had a good time. Food was wonderful.
Ja, the food is great. It probably only got better since the last time I was there since that was still under Communist rule. I've been to Sopron a few times since so I'm looking forward to see Buda, Pest, and Óbuda again.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
X3 Skier said:
How could we? Be like telling Mike Jordan how to shoot a jump shot. :D
Cheers
:rofl: :rofl: Kind of what I was thinking. Jspira, just have a great time and tell us all about it! :thumbup:

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Jspira said:
5. August -Vienna
Jonathan, when driving the Wachau Valley from Wien at some point we stopped over (briefly) in a small town/village off the main road, and thought it was one of the most picturesque settings we had ever seen... I wonder if that might have been Dürnstein...

We took a side street off the main road, it went snaking up a little bit then you entered the town. The town seemed to stretch up the hillside and looked absolutely marvelous. To exit, we took a more direct route sort of perpendicular to the main road.

Could that have been Dürnstein you think?

Sorry for the silly question, but your itinerary brought back some good memories... :thumbup:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don´t think it was Dürnstein as it´s not immediately off the A1.

What you described is typical of the Wachau - all of the areas are that beautiful. That´s why it´s one of my favorite regions.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
J, Congrats on the new car.......

So the next time there is a NY meet your bringing both of the cars...right?

J, let me know when you are planning on ordering your 335i....maybe I can set up my ED trip when your doing yours ...since you know so much would be nice to travel with you..if you dont mind.....

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Den. I'll know more when I find out exactly when Day 1 of deliveries is at BMW Welt.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Budapest restaurant recommendation:

J:

It has been several years since I was in Budapest, but the best meal was at:

RÉZKAKAS
V. Veres Pálné utca 3. M to Ferenciek tere. Tel. 118-0038, 267-0349. Open: 12-24

They had a "duck two ways" dish--a wild duck & a cultivated one, one roasted, the other confit & braised--that was very good. The service was excellent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.