Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a reason to change the fuel filter...just read that a dirty clogged fuel filter can cause the lean codes..."what say you"? I say it's about time anyways.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
I believe that the HPFP is a positive displacement pump, and that, in general, a positive displacement pump will draw a saturation pressure vacuum for the pumped liquid as it delivers its rated flow rate for rated pressure. No, I don***8217;t believe that a clogged filter can cause a lean condition down stream of a positive displacement pump.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
On a running car. “ bad gas “ and “ plugged fuel filter” is mechanic-speak for “ I don’t have a clue but I have a boat payment”

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe that the HPFP is a positive displacement pump, and that, in general, a positive displacement pump will draw a saturation pressure vacuum for the pumped liquid as it delivers its rated flow rate for rated pressure. No, I don***8217;t believe that a clogged filter can cause a lean condition down stream of a positive displacement pump.
Hmmm...

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Its probably your power steering pump. You should replace it with OEM, the aftermarket jobs are known to cause vacuum leaks.

Or, you can smoke test it and find the vacuum leak.

Or, you can replace your O2 sensors, because you ran f*cking acetone through the engine and probably FUBARed them, along with the plastic and rubber components of the fuel pump, regulator and evap system. Those codes will come shortly.

Better off replacing everything than troubleshooting. That's entirely too much effort.

Or just replace unrelated components, start with rear springs.

And don’t forget that misfire cause lean codes. Better get all new coils and plugs just because!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Its probably your power steering pump. You should replace it with OEM, the aftermarket jobs are known to cause vacuum leaks.

Or, you can replace your O2 sensors, because you ran f*cking acetone through the engine and probably FUBARed them, along with the plastic and rubber components of the fuel pump, regulator and evap system. Those codes will come shortly.

Better off replacing everything than troubleshooting. That's entirely too much effort.

....or try to sell it for $17k and label it a 20xx.xx

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Hmmmmmmm.....a HPFP on an E83.....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
BB - there are many threads on here about troubleshooting lean codes. The first suspect is a vacuum leak somewhere. The first suspect on an M54 for a vacuum leak is on the curved rubber boot going to the throttle body. It has a small elbow that tends to fail. If you don't have a smoke tester, it's reasonably easy to take that boot off and check it. However, you would be better served by investing either some time or money in acquiring a smoke tester. Here's my favorite homemade version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=EhNQiIRsCCk

There are many variations on the same principle. A quick search on YT for "vacuum leak smoke tester" or similar should entertain you for hours.

AM.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

And don’t forget that misfire cause lean codes. Better get all new coils and plugs just because!
Thanks duke... I don't want to get things way out of hand...As you have read, the following has been replaced: ps pump, ps fluid, steering coupler and reservoir...its been 60 miles or so, the codes have been vacant. I do have an 02 sensor on the shelf. that's my next move if and when the codes should appear again. Too much time and effort perhaps, but I welcome any opportunity to escape the problems I face in other areas far more important than tight steering, dirty fuel filters and reservoirs. Heck! The progress we've made with RR is a major bright spot for me *thanks to you guys. Anyways, I'm not worried about the lacquer thinner I've gone through 2 fill ups since that effort. RR is doing pretty good. Remember she's at 202k now...any replacements will be accepted to me at this point...refreshing break fluid to replacing that ccv...oh btw she doesn't burn the oil common to bmws! And she hovering at 18.9 mpg right now driving in the city...for the hwy? about 24 mpg got a new k&n filter but haven't put her on the road since I made that install.
Thanks for the input everyone
Now next challenge...that hole in the trunk floor. I have ideas! So tell me what is that "undercoat"? used to coat the trunk bottom.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BB - there are many threads on here about troubleshooting lean codes. The first suspect is a vacuum leak somewhere. The first suspect on an M54 for a vacuum leak is on the curved rubber boot going to the throttle body. It has a small elbow that tends to fail. If you don't have a smoke tester, it's reasonably easy to take that boot off and check it. However, you would be better served by investing either some time or money in acquiring a smoke tester. Here's my favorite homemade version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=EhNQiIRsCCk

There are many variations on the same principle. A quick search on YT for "vacuum leak smoke tester" or similar should entertain you for hours.

AM.
"Entertain me for hours"...***129315;
thanks for that friend

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Thanks duke... I don't want to get things way out of hand...As you have read, the following has been replaced: ps pump, ps fluid, steering coupler and reservoir...its been 60 miles or so, the codes have been vacant. I do have an 02 sensor on the shelf. that's my next move if and when the codes should appear again. Too much time and effort perhaps, but I welcome any opportunity to escape the problems I face in other areas far more important than tight steering, dirty fuel filters and reservoirs. Heck! The progress we've made with RR is a major bright spot for me *thanks to you guys. Anyways, I'm not worried about the lacquer thinner I've gone through 2 fill ups since that effort. RR is doing pretty good. Remember she's at 202k now...any replacements will be accepted to me at this point...refreshing break fluid to replacing that ccv...oh btw she doesn't burn the oil common bmws! And she hovering at 18.9 mpg right now driving in the city...for the hwy? about 24 got a new k&n filter but haven't put her on the road since I made that install.
Thanks for the input everyone
Now next challenge...that hole in the trunk floor. I have ideas! So tell me what is that "undercoat"? used to coat the trunk bottom.
You need to learn how to troubleshoot symptoms and develop an understanding of how all the varied systems in the vehicle work instead of blindly tossing parts at it based on uselessly off-base "gut" feelings. Approaching the vehicle with a definite purpose would have cured every ailment of the vehicle within 2 weeks.

Why do you need to replace the CCV? Just "because?"

As for your trunk: unless your "ideas" involve a welder and some sheet metal, don't even bother. I predict, however, that any advice given will be ignored and we'll see a piece of cardboard glued in to cover the hole.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You need to learn how to troubleshoot symptoms and develop an understanding of how all the varied systems in the vehicle work instead of blindly tossing parts at it based on uselessly off-base "gut" feelings. Approaching the vehicle with a definite purpose would have cured every ailment of the vehicle within 2 weeks.

Why do you need to replace the CCV? Just "because?"

As for your trunk: unless your "ideas" involve a welder and some sheet metal, don't even bother. I predict, however, that any advice given will be ignored and we'll see a piece of cardboard glued in to cover the hole.
There is some truth there my friend...I am learning I am not ashamed of that...iv never replaced a ps pump, ps reservoir, steering coupler...until now! So, I'm a little slow and cautious, I dont want to make a costly mistake that will send the car on a flat bed to the stealer (now that's embarrassing to me). I read alot and view those videos from those who want to help...just because...
But hey, I'm "winning" the thing drives like a top!
I do use my gut to help me deside who's info is accurate or not.

(They don't teach that story about the tortoise and the hare any more do they? )

Moreover, I can help someone else now! and not berate them on what they could have done and how slow they are and your ideas are wack...(even though the cardboard almost sounds like me) all the while I know what to do but yet stand by silently hoping they make a costly mistake so I can shout...Told you so! I've seen guys like you...filled with knowledge but stubbornly wouldn't share freely.
"Pride goith before a fall".
Hey, but what about that compound used at the bottom of the trunk.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey Bimmur....just drive it lean and enjoy the gas mileage lol. I wonder what the exact spec is to trigger a lean code? How much damage is being done when the minimum "number" is hit to cause it to alert you? If its an extra set of plugs or is it major engine damage? Its been awhile...too long...but there were guys running pretty lean in the Mustang world for whatever reasons. Having said that, what is the threshold to throw a code and how much damage at that threshold is being done in reality? On another note, as far as fuel filters...how often in our cars do they really become clogged or disruptive? Instinct tells me if your getting gas from a Pure station in south Georgia boonies with an underground tank that was put in the ground back when Carter was president, you might be getting debris and whatever. With all the new tanks and modern filters in gas pumps, I wonder how much of a problem the filter is compared with the cars of say 20 years ago? There was a guy online who actually drilled through his trunk floor to get to the tank because the filter was "in the tank" and dropping it .....well, he was a real motivated turd and didnt want to drop it. Last I was told, it worked and he got lucky I guess.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
ROM once the STFT hits something like 15-20% it will trigger a code. Exact number known only to the gal/guy who coded the ECM firmware.

Yeah, you can run it lean - and then you will be back for fire in the engine, burned valves, pistons, cat can run red hot.

A continued check engine light also hides arrival of a new problem like a misfire code which can also ruin your engine if ignored.

Not a smart strategy, even for a cheap bastard like me

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
The ECM will throw a lean code even with a perfect fuel mix, if it’s got the occasional misfire....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The ECM will throw a lean code even with a perfect fuel mix, if it’s got the occasional misfire....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
150 miles since I cleared the cat codes bank 1 and bank 2 RR is running smoothly might hit the motorway today!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts