BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Worst Has Happened!!

:cry: I was parking up in my work car park where they have stupidly put the disabled spot in the worst place possible and it was an unbelievable tight squeeze but me being stupid tried it anyway.

I should mention that in the spot next to me there was a beautiful 320 2002 (kestral?) silver BMW convertible - and I only went and put an inch long scratch in the corner of the bumper of this lovely BMW with my own lovely BMW.

Anyway, I tracked down the owner and told him what happened and he was pretty understanding and said he would take it to his London BMW dealer to get a quote to fix this scratch and let me know.

I don't know whether I should be paying out of my own pocket or through insurance and lose my 2 yrs no claims bonus

Will they have to respray the whole bumper - has anyone any idea how much I can expect to set me back? Please? I can't take not knowing. :eek:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
It depends on the auto body shop and how bad the scratch is. It can be very tough to blend paint so spraying the whole bumper might be in order. Did you by chance take any pictures of the scratches?

Did you check the condition of the whole bumper on the 320 2002? Maybe he has a bunch of chips on it? No reason you need to pay to have all the chips taken care of. Say it cost 200 pounds....maybe you pay 25-40% of it? I don't know...tough to say...really depends on the body shop and the severity of the scratch...how picky the owner of the car is...you get the picture.

Wait for the estimate to decide if you should go through your insurance...odds are decent you probably should just pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worst Has Happened!!

The bumper itself looks pretty good - I think I put the first scratch on it. The scratch is really more of small patch 1 inch by 1 inch where the paint has been removed. :( I think the owner wants to take it a BMW dealership - possibly the same one he bought it from. If the cost is about £300 then I'm happy to pay out of pocket. I hope to god it doesn't come to more than that... :cry:

·
ED experienced member
354 Posts
While he is trying to figure out the best and most expensive place where he can get his car repaired, why dont you make some calls on your own, then figure out some estimates, add 15% for extras. Then compare that to your increase in insurance + good driver bonus... This will show you which route to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.