BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've gained a ton of knowledge about the ED process from the board here. I've also been very careful to read every word on Wiki and every thread ever written so as to not ask dumb questions and get hollered at. So it's time for our 2nd BMW (yeah, we officially drank the juice after our very first BMW test drive in the Z4 only 3 yrs ago which resulted in a much-negotiated PO and then PCD) and 1st ED. After reading so many tips about not jamming in too much on a trip I think I might have gone too far the other way. Anyway, this is what I've planned thus far:

August 30th - fly from PHL to Munich, arrive 8/31, overnight at Holiday Inn Schwabing (taking the Lufthansa bus from the airport)

Sept 1 - Pick up the 135i vert, do the whole day thing at the Welt . . . drive to Hohenschwangau and check in at Hotel Muller in the evening for 3 nights

Have the 2nd and the 3rd as full days in Hohenschwangau and its environs (castles, Reutte, etc)

Sept 4th am head out to drive the Glossglockner . . . stopping for lunch in Ruhpolding . . . arrive in Heiligenblut and check into Hotel Glocknerhof for 2 nights

September 5th explore the Heiligenblut area, hike in national park, etc

September 6th check out of Hotel Glocknerhof and head towards Hallstatt, spend day wandering through the town and area, check into Gruener Anger for 2 nights

September 7th do a trip to Werfen and see ice caves and whatever else strikes our fancy while we're out and about

September 8th check out of Gruener Anger and drive to Munich, wash car, drop off at Harms, cry, wimper, find transport to the MO where we will stay for 3 nights. We will have 2 full days in Munich. Our last night will be the 10th.

September 11th - after all that fun we check out of MO and head on out to the airport.

Thoughts?

Should we somehow work in Berchtesgaden? Salzburg? Others?

Even though DH and I are only in our early 40s we are on the far side of leisurely re our life pace. We HATE to rush. So while we are keen on seeing the sights we want to have a nice balance of seeing and chilling. We are not ones to have every minute of every day planned (let me tell you about vacationing w/ my SIL :yikes:) and we typically have had the best traveling moments when we just randomly happen upon something.

Also, Rolf will be lollygagging in Spain from 7/31 to 9/13 w/ his son :) so that's a no-go for us. I figured we would use the Lufthansa bus from the airport to Schwabing Nord and I'm assuming it's walkable from the drop off to the Holiday Inn? Not sure yet about going from Harms to the MO and then the MO to the airport. Perhaps that lady that had worked w/ Rolf, and then had been banished, but now is in good graces again (this is what I had gleaned from the various threads here) might be an option.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,190 Posts
I figured we would use the Lufthansa bus from the airport to Schwabing Nord and I'm assuming it's walkable from the drop off to the Holiday Inn?
It's walkable but it may take you 20-30 minutes with luggage. I may be wrong, but I've driven in there and I don't think there's a way to cut through from Berlinerstrasse to Leopoldstrasse, so you have to go around the entire block to get to the front of the Holiday Inn. Marriott is only 5 minutes from the shuttle stop.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,760 Posts
If you take the Lufthansa shuttle, plan on taking a taxi from the Marriott to the Holiday Inn.

If you take the S-bahn downtown and then the U-6 to Münchner Freiheit, you can take a bus (106 I think) from Münchner Freiheit to almost in front of the Holiday Inn on the Leopoldstraße. This is also walkable but it´s a 10 -minute walk.

Sigrid is another possibility as well. She does seem to be back in Rolf´s good graces.

I think your itinerary is fine - nice and leisurely - and you can add a few things in as you go along. Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, etc. are all nice and require more than just an hour or two so perhaps substitute something along the way.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you take the Lufthansa shuttle, plan on taking a taxi from the Marriott to the Holiday Inn.
There might not be a need to go all the way to Marriott to take a taxi. I believe there is a taxi "station" right next to the LH bus stop (I noticed several taxis awaiting passengers during our trip this May, but perhaps ability to get a car right at the stop depends on the time of the day too).

·
Registered
213 Posts
re-delivered 07/23/07
I see all is well in the bimmer fam now, congrats!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
re-delivered 07/23/07
I see alliswell in the bimmer fam now, congrats!
Thanks! Things are obviously better, but somewhat of a bitter sweet feeling...

Edit: BTW 07/23 was in 2007... this time it was 07/24 :) Took a whole month longer... :(

OP, sorry for interrupting your thread.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Getting into Hohenschwangau during the day is a bit of a challenge because of the traffic, as is parking at the Muller. You should consider delaying your return to the Muller after a day trip to Reutte until after 6:00 PM. After 6:00 PM the town is empty.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Hallstatt is pretty, but you don't need 4 hours unless you are interested in salt mines and such. If you just want a pleasant walk through town, and a quick bite, 4 hours is plenty. If you schedule a lot more time, the boat ride is pretty.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
We loved Berchestgaden. It was the most true German town and non-touristy city/town we visited during our trip. Just a short drive too to the Eagles Nest, Salzburg or Lake Konigsee from there if you like. We found a great little restaurant and pretty much closed down the place the first night we were there. We ran out of Euro's but the owner/waitress were so friendly they allowed us to pay in USD. Great memories...

Attached a picture of the restaurant and our fun but very patient waitresses. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm so glad I asked for input! The first change = starting of in Berchtesgaden and staying at the Inter Continental for 2 nights. I will probably pare down the stay in Hohenschwangau to 2 nights, and the stay in Heiligenblut to 1 night. Debating about Hallstatt . . . maybe that's better as a drive through and then head on up to Salzburg for 2 nights.

For those that have stayed there, what is the best room category for the view at the IC?

Vanos, we will have to try that restaurant and we will be sure to ask the staff if they have any recollection of a crazy couple from Nashville. :p

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Having taken delivery of my new F10 at the Welt on July 13, I offer the following suggestions. I would allow a solid day for the delivery process, touring the Welt, lunch at the Welt, touring the BMW Museum, and the factory tour. All of those activities are spectacular and not to be missed. IMO the preceding day would ideally be structured as follows: disembark the aircraft and pick up luggage, take the U-Bahn to the central train station, check in at a central hotel like Le Meridien or the Sofitel near the train station, take a nap for 2 or 3 hours, and cap off the day at a beer hall in Munich. Retire early and get well rested for a great day at the Welt and related sites. The whole experience is so much better if you start out with two well orchestrated days at the outset, and are reasonably well rested.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Thanks everyone. These comments are very helpful. I'm thinking of adding on Berchtesgaden and cutting back Hallstatt to 1 night. Hmm.
Seriously, even that is too much unless you have something special calling you there. You can get there before lunch from Heiligenblut, spend a few hours there, then get to Berchtesgaden by nightfall.

Go on google earth to Hallstatt and see what is there, close up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.