BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent 3 hours at CEC's Culver City showroom and had a blast speaking with Roy Lopez, the person in charge of AC Schnitzer brand at CEC. We talked about everything from AC Schnitzer's products to F1 racing to driver's schools. He took me out for a spin in the AC Schnitzer M5 with their active suspension (I forgot what they called it) upgrade and it's just down right COOL. There's a dial inside the cockpit that allows you to adjust shock dampening ON THE FLY. There are three settings, intermediate, sports, and track. Intermediate is a very subtle boost in stiffness from stock, and is best served for daily driving on surface streets. Sports mode is a step up in stiffness and its good for aggressive driving. And then there's TRACK. I am just amazed at how stiff it is yet the M5 chasis just ABSORBES all the potholes on the road and how their shock dampening tuning just about the right amount of feedback without sacrificing any comfort of the 5er. I made a few subtle suggestions of representing CEC at future driver's schools with that M5. ;)

It was really an eye opener to walk through their shop and just see the type of attention to detail they go through. The shop is impeccably CLEAN, with just about the latest equipment and all the parts clearly marked in their bins and well organized. Roy gave me the rundown on AC Schnitzer and their tuning philosophy of using OEM BMW parts and just building them to better, tighter tolerance, and build them to better performance without sacrificing much daily drivability. Very impressive stuff. He showed me the ACS Short Shift kit and man, that thing is a WORK OF ART. I also love their philosophy of their products COMPLIMENTING BMW design rather than OVERWHELM like Hamann products.

If you absolutely must have the best money can buy for your BMW...ACS is it. Roy also told me they (AC Schnitzer AG) is working on a compressor for the 3.0 and 4.4 liter engines. it's going to be something...Stay tuned.

edit: Sorry Scott, I was going to try and stop by, but by the time I got out it was already 6:00 pm...I'm going to stop by Fontana with Stuka to cheer Plaz on tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Aye! I lived so near and you never invited me.... :(

Anyhoo, glad that you had fun! :D Btw, the ACS SC will be released thru some of the BMW dealers in Europe later this year. There is a MSRP of about US$7500.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
HACK, did you ever find out how much the ACS SSK would cost for my car? Let me know, I may be interested.

Later.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Dan you bastard I'm so jealous. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FYI: the ACS M5 suspension upgrade is called DFC or Dampener Force Control. I believe the track setting is called race.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Is the DFC upgrade available for 3ers? Now that would be cool...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The suspension sounds very similar to the Tien setup that has been used for years in Japan on the 22b's, Evo's, etc. That system is $1900 US. I'm sure ACS is asking at least $3k though. ;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Chris330ci said:
Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Is the DFC upgrade available for 3ers? Now that would be cool...
AFAIK ACS only offers it on the M5. Although I'm sure you could get it on an E39

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Clem said:

AFAIK ACS only offers it on the M5. Although I'm sure you could get it on an E39
Trouble maker:tsk:

Did you get me proposal for the picture?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
The HACK said:
I'm going to stop by Fontana with Stuka to cheer Plaz on tomorrow afternoon.
Did you actually come out? I didn't see you!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Clem said:

Yeah but my mail was rejected to your addy. as for the pic I like the idea :thumbup:
Try my home account via my profile (or if that blew up Comcast is a PITA at times) please try to resend. I'll touch bas with Imola:thumbup:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raffi said:
HACK, did you ever find out how much the ACS SSK would cost for my car? Let me know, I may be interested.

Later.
I might be getting a FREE set...I'll let you have that.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris330ci said:
No, the suspention is ONLY available for the M5's. In fact, AC Schnitzer AG is in negotiations with BMW AG to sell the technology to BMW to be implemented on the 7 series, rumor has it. ;)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: I've been corrupted...

Plaz said:

Did you actually come out? I didn't see you!
Sigh...Long story.

On Sunday one of the guys we play hockey with invited a whole bunch of girls to come out and play. What I didn't know was, these girls play in a semi-pro league...There I am, spending a good half of 3 hours Sunday morning skating my *SS off trying not to be embarrassed by a whole bunch of little girls.

I was feeling okay as I drove home...But as soon as I tried to get out of my car I knew I was in trouble. I think I might have sprained :yikes: a groin muscle. I mean, you don't really feel it when the adrenaline is flowing and you're skating hard, but I spent the rest of the day bed-ridden...It's still rather sore this morning and my back aches like HELL.

Next time I'm just going to let them kick my *ss. Forget this whole macho crap.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: AC-Schnitzer

TGD said:
Visit the ofiicial AC-Schnitzer website:
http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/englisch/index.html

There are many a tuning available for E46 too:
3.2 l engine for 60Nm of torque, or a supercharger for 300HP.

Isn't AC-Schnitzer the "official" tuner for BMW, like AMG is for Mercedes.
Mercedes doesn't have anything like AC-Schnitzer. AMG is their ///M wannabe division. I think Lorinser for Mercedes is more like ACS but Lorinser only makes wheels and aerodynamics.

AC-Schnitzer is better compared with the likes of Alpina and Hartge. They're official BMW MANUFACTURERS (outside of United States) and their cars are actually considered factory cars.

Or dare I say, they're like Dinan...Except from what I've seen, AC Schnitzer and Alpina has a lot more experience building aftermarket BMWs and tend to do a much better job. :dunno:

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I've been corrupted...

The HACK said:

Sigh...Long story.

On Sunday one of the guys we play hockey with invited a whole bunch of girls to come out and play. What I didn't know was, these girls play in a semi-pro league...There I am, spending a good half of 3 hours Sunday morning skating my *SS off trying not to be embarrassed by a whole bunch of little girls.

I was feeling okay as I drove home...But as soon as I tried to get out of my car I knew I was in trouble. I think I might have sprained :yikes: a groin muscle. I mean, you don't really feel it when the adrenaline is flowing and you're skating hard, but I spent the rest of the day bed-ridden...It's still rather sore this morning and my back aches like HELL.

Next time I'm just going to let them kick my *ss. Forget this whole macho crap.
Not to be insensitive, but... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kind of like a news story I saw last night about an Einstein would-be carjacker who tried to carjack a minivan -- that happened to be transporting a judo team! Needless to say, it didn't work out to well for him. :D

Thanks for the intent, anyway! Hope the injury isn't serious.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: I've been corrupted...

Plaz said:

Not to be insensitive, but... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kind of like a news story I saw last night about an Einstein would-be carjacker who tried to carjack a minivan -- that happened to be transporting a judo team! Needless to say, it didn't work out to well for him. :D

Thanks for the intent, anyway! Hope the injury isn't serious.
Clem, where's my *SS emoticon?! :tsk:

It was still sore, but this morning it's my back that's bothering me more than the groin...At least it's not bad enough where I can't get to work, but every time I get up to go get water I groan in pain...My cubemate is wondering what is wrong. How do I tell a girl that I pulled a groin muscle without it sounding like harassment?

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I've been corrupted...

The HACK said:

...My cubemate is wondering what is wrong. How do I tell a girl that I pulled a groin muscle without it sounding like harassment?
Don't tell her that you pulled your groin .:confused: Make something up.... Your upper leg quadrant has torn tissue fibers . :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts