BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know our cars beg to be driven. I find mine runs beautifully between 80 to 100 MPH. I am usually on the turnpike after rush hour and it's a nice 3 lane stretch with few cars and this allows me to open it up. I am NOT an azz when I drive. I never weave in and out of traffic only to get ahead 3 cars to be held up by more congestion. Rather, when there is open road I take advantage of it.
My problem is, too many times I'll come up on a vehicle going slower. I never flash high beams and never get right on the bumper of the other vehicle but I do slowly close the distance to show that I would like them to move over so I can pass. I don't know what it is about we Americans but it seems too often we get offended when someone wants to go faster. So, I usually will run into a car that thinks his speed is optimal, anyone going faster is crazy and anyone going slower is an idiot and what happens is the cars refuse to move, they just stay in the fast lane doing the same speed. So, what I do is simply go around them and this almost always results in the middle finger being raised. Why are people so ignorant and stupid, why get offended when someone simply wants to go faster and why not just move over and get out of the way. I was in Italy many years ago, and although the driving is crazy in populated towns there is still courtesy. Are European drivers more friendly or is it this way all over the world? I'm done ranting. Oh, and my 12 year old ripped my rear makeup mirror clean off, twisted plastic and all. Have you seen the cost for a simple replacement mirror, almost $200. Kids.

Jer

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've noticed this too. It's like everyone all of the sudden forgot the "rules of the road" that my grandfather taught me. Might have to do with younger drivers. One thing that really chaps my ass is when you pass someone going slower than you, and somehow their ego gets damaged or something. Then they increase their speed and ride your ass. Being the gentleman that i am, I'll immediately get over and let them through. Then the mind boggling thing happens....They slow back down to their original speed. WTF?

I try my best to control my anger while driving, but in the situation above, you best believe my flashers, horn, and middle finger are all coming out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I put my left turn signal on and move the car to the left as to say "if there was enough room I would pass you on the left"

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
ahahahahaaaa no one does that here in Canada they just stare at the car because you hardly see it around.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like the ballistic reaction when they start yelling at and punching their own cars, you usu only see that around the northeast though. Scares me to see some people with drivers licenses, but at the same time, can be the most amusing part of my day. BTW that reaction usually takes some prodding and is rarely directed at me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to be like that..

Its amazing what a few combat tours will do for your patience. I used to be a solid road rager, but something clicked when I got back. Back in the old days, once I was passing cars in the fast lane on I95 when someone wanted to go even faster. When I could, I moved over and he flipped me the bird as he sped by. I followed him from NC to Maryland, keeping him in site the whole way. When he stopped for gas, I was right behind him and before he got out of his car, I was punching him through the sunroof as I was screaming "give me the finger now". I pummeled him as he tried to drive off. Well that shocked my wife, who had no idea what was going on. Anyway, I still drive fast, but not obnoxious. Most people get passed but some drive by and if my wifes in the car, I let idiots get away with being idiots. I just imagine a world without idiots and my blood pressure goes way down and I smile. Oh, I do carry a .45 though.

A word of advice to the youngsters out there, don't make gestures to anyone that you woundn't do to them face to face. You may be face to face sooner than you think.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Can't stand exactly this situation. I see it constantly here in Chicago. If you see someone coming up behind you, move. Simple. I've been guilty of not paying attention and noticing someone behind me or passing me on the right because I was clueless, but I don't get mad at them! It's my fault. And if I have to pass someone on the right, which I am loathe to do, I don't scream at him or shoot the finger. I will pull in front of him and make a motion with my hand pointing to the right, as in, move over slow-ass.

I did have a situation where I needed to go the the emergency room a few months ago, but I decided to drive back to my own neighborhood about 25 miles away as my hospital is not nearly as crowded as Northwestern in the city. Obviously I wasn't dying. At that time I had my Audi A6. The situation kept coming up since I was doing between 80 and 100 where possible to get to the hospital. you've never seen people move so damn fast out of the fast lane as when a car with Xenons on bright comes up behind you at about 100mph and you're doing 55!!!! I did have to honk a few times etc. to get them out of my way though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Its amazing what a few combat tours will do for your patience. I used to be a solid road rager, but something clicked when I got back. Back in the old days, once I was passing cars in the fast lane on I95 when someone wanted to go even faster. When I could, I moved over and he flipped me the bird as he sped by. I followed him from NC to Maryland, keeping him in site the whole way. When he stopped for gas, I was right behind him and before he got out of his car, I was punching him through the sunroof as I was screaming "give me the finger now". I pummeled him as he tried to drive off. Well that shocked my wife, who had no idea what was going on. Anyway, I still drive fast, but not obnoxious. Most people get passed but some drive by and if my wifes in the car, I let idiots get away with being idiots. I just imagine a world without idiots and my blood pressure goes way down and I smile. Oh, I do carry a .45 though.

A word of advice to the youngsters out there, don't make gestures to anyone that you woundn't do to them face to face. You may be face to face sooner than you think.
With all due respect to your service to our country, that's probably the most troubling story I have ever heard and can only hope its not true.

First of all you should know from your combat experience, that your gun is useless unless its on you. More importantly, if your mention of a gun was a reference to your ability to resolve a road roage incident with it, you should not be allowed to observe the right we have as Americans to carry a weapon. If you had taken your weapon with you to the confrontation you mentioned, you have just abused every right that gun holders have worked hard to attain, more, you would more than likely be in jail or possibly dead.

I will also say that I am by no means a tough guy, but if you had followed me that far and then had the lack of mental fortitude to approach my vehicle, you would certainly have had a more realistic and certainly different outcome than you experienced with your previous victim. You might have easily ended up with a "745Li" permanently tattooed to your chest if I was unable to subdue you manually.

Also, back to the weapon, and in reference to "don't make gestures to anyone that you wouldn't do to them face to face" as a US military trained soldier, you should be fully aware that you are not the only trained individual with hand to hand combat skills which include the ability to disarm an attacker. Your weapon is useless unless you intend to use it, and do so prior to your next confrontation, ultimately changing the future of your inalienable rights as a US citizen if you so decide to use that weapon.

I am somewhat relieved to hear that you have changed your ways and finally must admit that you are an extremely lucky individual to have made it as far in life as you have if your story wasn't in jest.

Road rage is an ignorant, selfish, and downright infantile act that can not only lead to personal damage, but damage to innocent bystandards that were unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If anyone really feels that they have been so wronged that they need to stalk someone and then attack them, try just calling the cops (911) and get them involved, it will be much worse for the bad driver if they get pulled over and embarrassed on the side of the road by a cop.

Sorry for the long winded response, I just cant stand stories like that, true or not true.

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
You all know our cars beg to be driven. I find mine runs beautifully between 80 to 100 MPH. I am usually on the turnpike after rush hour and it's a nice 3 lane stretch with few cars and this allows me to open it up. I am NOT an azz when I drive. I never weave in and out of traffic only to get ahead 3 cars to be held up by more congestion. Rather, when there is open road I take advantage of it.
My problem is, too many times I'll come up on a vehicle going slower. I never flash high beams and never get right on the bumper of the other vehicle but I do slowly close the distance to show that I would like them to move over so I can pass. I don't know what it is about we Americans but it seems too often we get offended when someone wants to go faster. So, I usually will run into a car that thinks his speed is optimal, anyone going faster is crazy and anyone going slower is an idiot and what happens is the cars refuse to move, they just stay in the fast lane doing the same speed. So, what I do is simply go around them and this almost always results in the middle finger being raised. Why are people so ignorant and stupid, why get offended when someone simply wants to go faster and why not just move over and get out of the way. I was in Italy many years ago, and although the driving is crazy in populated towns there is still courtesy. Are European drivers more friendly or is it this way all over the world? I'm done ranting. Oh, and my 12 year old ripped my rear makeup mirror clean off, twisted plastic and all. Have you seen the cost for a simple replacement mirror, almost $200. Kids.

Jer
I can't comment too much on friendly, since Italian drivers cuss each other out while driving, even the TAXi drivers...(it's like you're driving a taxi with tourists in it, way to show some hospitality to visitors)..and it doesn't matter it can be an old lady or a youngster pedestrians and drivers always have to fight

But that doesn't have to do as much with courtesy as does, for instance, slow people in the fast lane.

How many times do you see a slow driver in the carpool lane? Hello, just because you CAN be in the carpool lane, doesn't mean you should be in it. You can go the same speed in any of the other 4 lanes since the carpool lane is meant to be kept open for other drivers.

Europe they definitely do have a good sense of lanes. In Armenia, the highways are like this: left lane is WIDE open, right lane is where all the cars are at...if you need to pass someone, you go in the left lane, speed up, pass them, go back to the right lane in front of them. Then you go back in the left lane and pass the next car and go back in the right lane if you have to pass the next guy. Of course there are a LOT of crazy Armenian drivers that go 110+ and blow by everyone going through the left lane, the same as they do in America, but not giving them room to go is NOT going to change ANYTHING. Except MAYBE put yourself in danger.

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
P.S. you should get yourself a pair of these pups :thumbup:

comes in handy, and it's 1000x better response to a middle finger than anything else.

there's just no comeback when you get honked at by these

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
You never know what is going on in the car that does wierd stuff ... So I avoid trouble and it works for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Blue Bimmer said

"With all due respect to your service to our country, that's probably the most troubling story I have ever heard and can only hope its not true."

+1

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was driving in florida recently (on holiday) and i share your frustrations...here in the UK there are a few differences, but you still get tosser drivers!

- US - over / under take in all lanes - allowed.
- UK - No under taking! - slows everything down. 3 lanes into Glasgow - twats stay out, dont let you by.

- US - speed limits dont change much during road works but you face tough fines!
- UK - speed limits reduced to 30 / 40 through works - with average speed cameras fixed.

- US - Turn on a red - fantastic.
- UK - No chance! Lights...lights... and more lights.

- US - Big open roads - traffic keeps moving, or so i experienced.
- UK - Small tight roads - congestion and dont forget the round-abouts.

- US - Cars looking to change lanes - i would flash my headlights to aknowledge ok - but i got abuse!

- UK - Standard practice to flash headlights to give someone the nod to change lanes etc...

- US - Drivers in the US seamed to want to make progress.
- UK - Government in the UK is becoming anti-car.

- Lastly fuel cost 1 gallon in use would cost in the uk approx. $6.55 ..... i think the best price i got in kissimmee was $2.34 per gallon.

Dont get me started on the weather!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its true alright...

The gun had nothing to do with that old story, I didn't need it nor did I carry one at the time. I should not have even metioned it, sorry. My point was you never know who your dealing with, like that punk who was a big shot in his car but actually a sniviling baby.

You are right though about carrying a weapon, every time I have pointed it at someone I have had to use it. Way different curcumstances than we are discussing here, but thats a lesson I have learned in life, you never know who you are dealing with, so be nice on the road.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Can't stand exactly this situation. I see it constantly here in Chicago. If you see someone coming up behind you, move. Simple. I've been guilty of not paying attention and noticing someone behind me or passing me on the right because I was clueless, but I don't get mad at them! It's my fault. And if I have to pass someone on the right, which I am loathe to do, I don't scream at him or shoot the finger. I will pull in front of him and make a motion with my hand pointing to the right, as in, move over slow-ass.

I did have a situation where I needed to go the the emergency room a few months ago, but I decided to drive back to my own neighborhood about 25 miles away as my hospital is not nearly as crowded as Northwestern in the city. Obviously I wasn't dying. At that time I had my Audi A6. The situation kept coming up since I was doing between 80 and 100 where possible to get to the hospital. you've never seen people move so damn fast out of the fast lane as when a car with Xenons on bright comes up behind you at about 100mph and you're doing 55!!!! I did have to honk a few times etc. to get them out of my way though.
The problem is people don't understand that they need to move out of the way. They don't understand a simple concept, slower traffic keep right. Any-time I see someone coming up fast on me, I'll move my butt over to the next lane to the right. If there is no room, I'll speed up a bit until there is room to move over.

I'm sort of a "dick of a driver" as my older brother puts it. I drive I-4 at least twice a week (2 lane interstate with idiots driving on it). Tonight in fact, on the way home I'm in the left lane passing a truck. There is a car in-front of me doing maybe 65 while I'm coming up on it doing about 75-80. As I approach him he stays in the left lane while the right is empty. I come up to about .5 second of distance and then flick my passing lights
kindly. This guy refuses to move over so I tap the blinker and move to the right. This guy decides to play a game and moves over as I move over (without a blinker) and I nearly rear end this fool. I slam on my brakes and move into the left and try to pass him again, legally. Now this person decides to be a dick and move into my lane as I'm passing him. Fearing that I'd be run off the road, I press the pedal and scoot away. This asshole decides it'd be fun to tailgate me, while I'm in the right lane thinking he wants to pass me.

Now I get mad and decide to pull off my anti-tailgating maneuvers. First thing I did was the usual brake check, he wasn't very happy about this and moved "further up my trumpet." Getting bored I decided to just have some fun and act as if I was drunk. I drifted in my lane back and forth, randomly speed up and slowed down, etc.

I don't know what was going through this persons mind but they just kept at it. By this time I was doing about 75 and he was doing 75. I got bored of this and decided that I'd be safer if I just "moved" away. I hit the kick-down switch and he was gone in a few seconds, and so was my fantastic MPG... All of this probably happened during a 5 minute period at 9:00 at night.... Joy.

Its amazing what a few combat tours will do for your patience. I used to be a solid road rager, but something clicked when I got back.
thank you for serving our country and protecting our liberties! :thumbup

I can't comment too much on friendly, since Italian drivers cuss each other out while driving, even the TAXi drivers...(it's like you're driving a taxi with tourists in it, way to show some hospitality to visitors)..and it doesn't matter it can be an old lady or a youngster pedestrians and drivers always have to fight

But that doesn't have to do as much with courtesy as does, for instance, slow people in the fast lane.

How many times do you see a slow driver in the carpool lane? Hello, just because you CAN be in the carpool lane, doesn't mean you should be in it. You can go the same speed in any of the other 4 lanes since the carpool lane is meant to be kept open for other drivers.

Europe they definitely do have a good sense of lanes. In Armenia, the highways are like this: left lane is WIDE open, right lane is where all the cars are at...if you need to pass someone, you go in the left lane, speed up, pass them, go back to the right lane in front of them. Then you go back in the left lane and pass the next car and go back in the right lane if you have to pass the next guy. Of course there are a LOT of crazy Armenian drivers that go 110+ and blow by everyone going through the left lane, the same as they do in America, but not giving them room to go is NOT going to change ANYTHING. Except MAYBE put yourself in danger.
Europeans know to take driving seriously because they know it's a privilege and not a right. As well, if they screw up they will need to pay a whole lot of $$$ and need to spend a ton of valuable time getting it back. Here in the states, just do something stupid, say you didn't do it when you actually did, pay 50 dollars and be done. That is precisely the reason that Europe can have some of the worlds best driving spots and highways such as the autobahn.

P.S. you should get yourself a pair of these pups :thumbup:

comes in handy, and it's 1000x better response to a middle finger than anything else.

there's just no comeback when you get honked at by these
Where can I pick up a set of these? It'd be good for the idiots I encounter on a daily basis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too was taught "left lane is passing lane" rule. 30 year veteran of Los Angeles traffic and I know exactly what the problem is. The real problem is ridiculously low speed limits set on American highways. In the 1970's, when speed limits were 75/85mph people obeyed the passing lane rule. Then, when the "55 saves lives" speed limits came out everything went to hell. The speed limit on most freeways is now at 65, but that is still too slow IMHO.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Jer
I couldn't help but reply to this as it is a good place to vent... Two recent events come to mind (two of several I could go on about!)... A few weeks ago I was behind a guy on a two lane road in town (speed limit 45). He and I were both on the left side. Unlike him, I was on the left side for a reason: I wanted to turn left a couple blocks up ahead. He was going about 10 MPH under the speed limit so I decided to wait it out. I wasn't tailing him (probably about 2 car's length away). We get to a stop light. He slaaaams on his brakes as HARD as he can about 3 car lenghts before the stop light right as I get ready to go in the left turn lane. I come almost to a dead stop and proceed to eek my way through the limited space to get into the turn lane and then he sticks his middle finger out and starts yelling at me... :yikes: It was a close call - but luckily I wasn't right on his tail. By this time we had reached where there were several other cars around me... From what I could gather they were just about as confused as I was...

Then about a week prior, I was on another road in town in the right lane (speed limit 45) and a car comes up behind me right on my tail. It's a Nissan Altima or something. I was doing around 55MPH, so proceeded to slow back down to the speed limit because initially I couldn't tell if it was a cop or what. So the guy speeds up to probably 60MPH and almost swipes the side of my vehicle to cut in front of me. About 1/4 mile later he hits the curb, two of his wheels on the right side pop onto the sidewalk and somehow he manages to control the car and bring it back onto the road and then keep on going (he didn't even stop to see if there was damage). I had already decided to keep my distance from him after he had cut me off so luckily I was safe and far away.

I just don't understand it. What's the deal? It seems as if the BMW attracts rudeness, aggressiveness, and bad drivers...!

·
Registered
28 Posts
rear makeup mirror

a friend of mine ripped off my rear makeup mirrors as well! sucks! $384 parts and labor! fml.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts