BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an e36 loaner now for a few days and I love the body and interior. Definitely more Bavarian than the e46. The loaner is an auto but it seems to have a more substantial road hold regardless. Anyway I think I'm in need of an E36 :rolleyes:

G

·
3seriesbimmer said:
I've had an e36 loaner now for a few days and I love the body and interior. Definitely more Bavarian than the e46. The loaner is an auto but it seems to have a more substantial road hold regardless. Anyway I think I'm in need of an E36 :rolleyes:
There is a big difference between the two generations. I decided I vastly preferred the E36 feel myself and sold an '01 330i to get my E36 M3. But they are not for everyone. Make sure to test drive a good bit before committing to anything.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
3seriesbimmer said:
Before you buy the E36, try taking an E30 for a test drive some time.

This E30 1988 325Is, I have had for 2-weeks is 10X more fun than my E46 2001 330Ci.

·
10,856 Posts
Re: Re: I've decided I want an E36 M3

CD-55 said:

Before you buy the E36, try taking an E30 for a test drive some time.

This E30 1988 325Is, I have had for 2-weeks is 10X more fun than my E46 2001 330Ci.
Yeah, and you can have an E30 for a good bit less than the price difference between an E36 M3 and a 325i, too!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i think the crashworthiness of the E46 is reason enough to own one... if it's road feel you're looking for, why not just get one of these:

it will outhandle any bmw ever produced....with a decent pilot, it will even out-accelerate an E36...at least for the first 30 feet or so. :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: I've decided I want an E36 M3

Holden said:
Make sure to test drive a good bit before committing to anything.
Great advice:thumbup:

·
10,856 Posts
___lk___ said:

it will outhandle any bmw ever produced....with a decent pilot, it will even out-accelerate an E36...at least for the first 30 feet or so. :D
You sound like my ex. :p

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

·
10,856 Posts

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

She always was a biker perv. ;)
Then you should be :( :bawling: :banghead:

:bigpimp:

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Another E36 believer. :)

I don't know enough about E30s to make a judgement either way, but I think I would prefer the E36. Just like I would prefer an E46 to my M3 for really long trips, I wonder if a hard-core E30 would really start to annoy me during the daily commute. A dedicated track car is a different story, of course.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
what's with everyone in the dc/va/md area getting e36 m3s? haha. i guess the trend is migrating north, cuz this guy is from ny.... great car. i understand why they did it, just interesting that so many on this board are in the same area.

·
5,820 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:
what's with everyone in the dc/va/md area getting e36 m3s? haha. i guess the trend is migrating north, cuz this guy is from ny.... great car. i understand why they did it, just interesting that so many on this board are in the same area.
City people vs. rural?

G

·
Jetfire said:
Another E36 believer. :)

I don't know enough about E30s to make a judgement either way, but I think I would prefer the E36. Just like I would prefer an E46 to my M3 for really long trips, I wonder if a hard-core E30 would really start to annoy me during the daily commute. A dedicated track car is a different story, of course.
I had a non-M E30 and loved it. Long trips, no problem.

As for long trips in an E36 M3, I've now taken a number of them in mine and it feels great. You definitely have a sense of "flying low" (especially if you drive as fast as I do). Although, the overall feel on the highway is similar to that of my ex-330i w/SP, except with greater straight line stability (due to E46 steering issues). The only people I could see hating the E36 on a long trip are those who are a bit heavy as the E36 sport seats are significantly more narrow than the E46 sport seats.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.