BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And I've got pics to prove it! :)

Just a couple of thumbnails from Driver Training site. I'm on a 56k diet, so no big pics. If anyone wants big pics, they have tons of them on DT's site (link).

I hit only one cone :) Yay.

Over-steer exercise. I sucked here :(

Anyhow, just sharing :) I'm a qualified BMW driver now!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wish BMW would offer something alittle closer to the PA area. There is a center in one of the Carolinas if I'm not mistaken, but if someone knows any closer without having to you use your own car fill me in :D

455 and 800 bucks isn't bad for a price either for an instructor and an 330/M3 to learn with.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i think you just attended the session as a passenger and not a driver...i've got the pictures to prove it. :bigpimp:

rost...what ru doing behind that women in the chair. :)

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
so in all seriousness...where was the session held? at downsview airport? did u ask them if the Msport package for sedans will ever be available for customers?

what did you learn from the session? i've been contemplating on whether to attend the course or not or to take attend one of these schools instead Panoz/Firestone Bridgestone Racing Academy/Bondurant. i'm thinking these schools maybe more bang for the buck since it is on a real race track. not to say that i'm such a good driver and beyond what BMW driver training can teach me....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChrisTO said:
i think you just attended the session as a passenger and not a driver...i've got the pictures to prove it. :bigpimp:

rost...what ru doing behind that women in the chair. :)
There's one pic with me at the wheel too :)

That had me puzzled too. I think I was getting a chair that was right behind her :dunno:

I've written a reply to your question...A review of the day, sorta. I'll do a search and post a link if I find it :)

Levels 3 is going to be held on a race-track too.. I didn't attend any other schools, don't know anyone who had. So I can't compare or recommend anything. But personally, I'm going to do all 3 levels, and winter driving school when they open it (one of the guys running the show suggested they might).

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and I didn't ask them about M-sport package availability because JPinTO already posted that it will be.

The car's looked damn well. And drove like hell too, even though they were barely broken in. The clutch was much better than mine. When I got back to my car I stalled twice when pulling out :tsk:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the link to my review of that school: Click

I can't believe I wrote that and nobody read it :bawling:

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
how many times did u get to do each lesson? how many people per class? how many per car? i'm guessing 2. so only 4 lessons total for the whole day?

did they give out any cool freebies? (besides lunch)

actually i did read ur post..i just forgot all about it. guess it comes with age...or hair loss. take ur pick.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
only for the 330i eh..i guess my mystery machine doesn't qualify. then again who am i kidding. not like i'd opt in for something that just makes the car look better. i'm all not about the bling. :)

Capitalist said:

M Sport Package IS available for the sedan. Go to bmw.ca, click on 330i sedan and select Packages | Optional Features.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ChrisTO said:
only for the 330i eh..i guess my mystery machine doesn't qualify.
Neither does mine. But then again, at $5200 the M package is pretty overpriced for what you get. I do wonder though how much stiffer the Sport II suspension is.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ChrisTO said:
how many times did u get to do each lesson? how many people per class? how many per car? i'm guessing 2. so only 4 lessons total for the whole day?

did they give out any cool freebies? (besides lunch)

actually i did read ur post..i just forgot all about it. guess it comes with age...or hair loss. take ur pick.
You got 3-4-5 attempts. We had around 18 ppl. 2 per car. Yup, just 4 lessons and then they set up a small course for you to have fun in, and time it. In reality, you probably wouldn't want to have any more exercises in one day. I was pretty exhausted when I finally got home.

They gave me one of the pics (with me and the other guy in the car), certificate, pen, BMW DT notepad, pen, cup... Nothing really cool.

I'll take age. Hair loss doesn't do anything except frustrate the heck out of you :(

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Capitalist said:

Neither does mine. But then again, at $5200 the M package is pretty overpriced for what you get. I do wonder though how much stiffer the Sport II suspension is.
It's pricey, yes, but try to price it out piece by piece. M-sport steering costs 900+ bucks, without airbag. M68's wheels are 800+ each, without tires, so that's 3200 just for the wheels.
Then there's the sport suspension, black headliner, interior trim kit and most importantly aero kit, which probably costs a lot too if bought separately.

If you can find good deals on this separate stuff and find somebody who will install is all for free, then you probably could get cheaper than factory option. Other than that, M-sport package is fairly priced, IMHO :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ack said:
Damn Rost, sounds like a bunch of fun. How often do they have these DT courses and how much do they go for? Have you used any of the stuff you learned yet?
They've got a schedule right here (no courses for 2003 yet). You have to register in advance if you want to pick a good day (like saturday). And level 2 levels are even harder to come by (no level 3 yet, the program is just one year old).

Level one is 700+ (cdn, taz included). Level 2 is 1,000 (cdn, tax included). Pretty pricey, but my father took level two and loved it. He's gonna go all the way and wants me to do it too.

Most of the stuff they teach you there are extreme situations...extreme oversteer/understeer and braking, all on wet surface. And we did most of the exercises without ANY electronic aids, nada. So it's not really representative of real world driving but it shows you how the car can and will behave in extreme situations and how to counteract them.

So no, I didn't apply anything I've learned. And if I understood the main lesson correctly, I won't ever have to :)

One thing you definitely adapt is the recommended driving position and mirror settings. My current position is very different from the way I drove my car before. And when I try my old position now I can't control my car :eeps: I can't imagine how I drove it before.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
that's cause u were driving it pimp style. :bigpimp:

rost12 said:

One thing you definitely adapt is the recommended driving position and mirror settings. My current position is very different from the way I drove my car before. And when I try my old position now I can't control my car :eeps: I can't imagine how I drove it before.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, that's because I didn't know I could fit in the car otherwise :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts