Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had four 5 series including a G30. 540i, and a 650I convertable before that. Really loved driving all of them! But it's time for something new... and the family got hooked - the teslas are fantastic cool cars - if you are on the fence thinking of trying one just go for it!! Anyway, here's 4 new Teslas parked at my house!

Teslas.jpg

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
They ARE nice cars, I have several friends and family members with model S or model X. Great performing as well. I just find them a bit uninspiring without the engine noise, and up and down shifts. But who can deny the low maintenance costs? ;)

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
480 Posts
Tesla cars perform well. Hopefully they will bring up the interior fit and finish of their cars to compete a bit better with BMW and Mercedes on that front.

Great time to be alive as cars were looking dead about a decade ago and now we're seeing a lot of innovation. It is great.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If all you do is commute in them, then it's a viable option. I have a friend that decided to do a trip from Houston to Tulsa in his. He came home ready to sell it. The charging station network is not even close to meeting today's needs, let alone if full electrics start selling in big numbers. Right now they are still a pimple on an elephants ass in sales.

·
Do You Smell That?
422 Posts
If all you do is commute in them, then it's a viable option. I have a friend that decided to do a trip from Houston to Tulsa in his. He came home ready to sell it. The charging station network is not even close to meeting today's needs, let alone if full electrics start selling in big numbers. Right now they are still a pimple on an elephants ass in sales.
Audis sold in 2019 in the US: 224,111
Jag/Land Rover: 125,787
BMW: 324,826
Porsche: 61,568
Teslas sold in the US during the same period: 192,250

I'd say that's a serious challenge.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
480 Posts

EVs are a tiny fraction of the overall auto market. But they are a major player in the US Luxury market.

·
Do You Smell That?
422 Posts
EVs are a tiny fraction of the overall auto market. But they are a major player in the US Luxury market.
They're a major player everywhere.

If you compare the Tesla within categories (mid-size, compact, etc.), then Tesla holds far more than a "tiny fraction" of the market. When compared to sales of the 3-series, the Model 3 is light years ahead in sales.

BMW 3-series: 12,993
Tesla Model 3: 47,000

The Model 3 has a similar base price point to the other vehicles on the charts featured below, but it has much lower cost of ownership, much better tech (infotainment tech and autonomous driving tech), record-breaking safety scores, and unmatched performance. There's really not a solid reason to buy another car in this class. Aside from some buyers not liking the design of the Model 3 for some reason and choosing a competing car, I presume that sales of other models in this price range are simply due to inertia - societal inertia, marketing inertia, and internal illogical inertia. Actually, even a distaste for the design may simply be due to psychological inertia.

Nonetheless, the story today is not that there should be more Model 3 demand. It's that the Model 3 was sold more than 3 times more than the runner-up BMW 3 Series, or a bit less than 3 times more than the BMW 3/4 Series. No class in this category comes close to matching the Model 3.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/tesla-model-3-outsold-bmw-mercedes-audi-lexus-competitors-in-2nd-quarter-in-usa-by-a-landslide/

EVs are far more popular in Europe than in the US. Sales of ICE vehicles softened last year while sales of EVs and plug-in hybrids rose in double digits.

In the full-year 2019, the registration of electrically chargeable passenger vehicles in the European Union (EU) and EFTA countries increased by 46% to 564,225 cars. The sales of battery-electric cars grew by an even faster 81% to 365,372 cars. The Netherlands surpassed Norway as the market leader for battery electric vehicles while Germany overtook the United Kingdom as the largest market for plug-in hybrid vehicles in Europe.

---

The market for electrically chargeable vehicles in the EU and EFTA grew by more than 175,000 cars during 2019 to increase market share from 2% to 3.6% compared to 2018.

---

Strong growth in the sales of electric cars in Europe is expected in 2020. This is due both to the availability of more electric car models but even more as a result of heavy fines that the EU will impose on carmakers producing cars with high CO2 output unless balances out by low-emission vehicles. A 260% growth was forecasted for the UK in 2020.
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/electric/latest-europe-electric-and-plug-in-hybrid-car-sales-per-eu-and-efta-country/

:beerchug:

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
480 Posts
They're a major player everywhere.

If you compare the Tesla within catagories (mid-size, compact, etc.), then Tesla holds far more than a "tiny fraction" of the market. When compared to sales of the 3-series, the Model 3 is light years ahead in sales.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10/tesla-model-3-outsold-bmw-mercedes-audi-lexus-competitors-in-2nd-quarter-in-usa-by-a-landslide/

EVs are far more popular in Europe than in the US. Sales of ICE vehicles softened last year while sales of EVs and plug-in hybrids rose in double digits.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/electric/latest-europe-electric-and-plug-in-hybrid-car-sales-per-eu-and-efta-country/

:beerchug:
EVs are the fastest growing segment of the auto industry. I'm not disputing that (I own a PHEV and am a major fan of the electrification of cars)....

But the overall car sales in the US EVs are still under 4%.

There are some obstacles left to be overcome still and valid reasons why every buyer can't treat an EV as a full replacement for a ICE car (I still think the US market will move toward PHEVs for a long time until the kinks are sorted).

Europe is a wholly different landscape as they are heavily pushing people away from ICE cars via taxation, regulation, and soon bans. For instance, in the EU and many countries you pay a yearly tax based on your cars pollution output. This gets eliminated with an EV which helps to overcome a large amount of the cost differential between ICE and EV. This is in addition to the high gas prices they have as well. Here in the US we lack a similar structure so EV adoption will be slower (but we also have a VERY large market so you can still make massive strides with a lower overall adoption).

But this isn't to make it an EV or not EV thread. I keep an eye on Tesla and I would be open to them once they upscale their interior a bit more and get better on privacy.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
We considered an EV as my partner’s daily driver and airport commuter (82 miles of gruesome traffic to SFO and another 82 miles back...)
Decided against it after looking at cost of the car, weighing in pace at which the technology is evolving, and the fact that he keeps his daily cars 7 to 10 years. He got another Mini and I hear no complaints.
I’m not even looking at one until the range gets closer to 400 and their interior materials improve at a price of about $70k.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
If all you do is commute in them, then it's a viable option. I have a friend that decided to do a trip from Houston to Tulsa in his. He came home ready to sell it. The charging station network is not even close to meeting today's needs...
A friend of mine worked for Tesla, and he reports that it's a piece of cake in California. For the rest of us in 'merica, the charging stations are just not close enough and/or convenient enough.

I considered the model S several times, and it would be fine as my commuter car, but I'd hate to spend $100K+ and still have to rent a car for those long trips.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I read somewhere that a BMW 5 Series is the car most likely to be traded in on a Tesla. You know somebody in one of those round towers in Munich is thinking about that real hard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Drove them twice before deciding on my M550....granted BMW is criticized for piping exhaust sound through the speakers but I just could not get past the lack of sound for any electric vehicle.

Not a big fan of the styling of any Tesla's but from an engineering and tech point of view, they are awesome

Congrats and safe driving

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I read somewhere that a BMW 5 Series is the car most likely to be traded in on a Tesla. You know somebody in one of those round towers in Munich is thinking about that real hard.
I've read somewhere that the BMW 5-series was one of the few cars that had better owner satisfaction than the Tesla S. Mine new was about half the price of the Tesla....

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have considered the Tesla S, but there is no way I can get that, when I drive 18,000 to 20,000 miles a year. EV cars are not made for long distance travel yet, unless you have the patience to look for charging stations, which are still few and far between. They need to get the range much higher too for my type of driving. EV's are great for local driving, but even then may not make sense, since gas is so cheap right now. The last thingI want to do on my trips is worry about range and planning around a charging station and the range is even worse in winters.

For my type of driving, would take a diesel any day, but those are getting harder to find in a BMW. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
EV's are great for local driving, but even then may not make sense, since gas is so cheap right now.

For my type of driving, would take a diesel any day, but those are getting harder to find in a BMW. :)
My wife works in DC, and charging an EV at a paid station costs more the equivalent mileage in gas.

RE: diesels - I'm keeping my X5D for a long time. :D

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

You missed my point. I***8217;m saying that electric cars are a very small percentage of the total vehicles sold. I***8217;m not comparing it to competitors. 17 million vehicles are sold in the U.S. annually. My point is that we are not even remotely close to having an infrastructure to support charging of any significant growth. My friend who went from Houston to Tulsa and back had issues charging his car.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You missed my point. I'm saying that electric cars are a very small percentage of the total vehicles sold. I'm not comparing it to competitors. 17 million vehicles are sold in the U.S. annually. My point is that we are not even remotely close to having an infrastructure to support charging of any significant growth. My friend who went from Houston to Tulsa and back had issues charging his car.
There is no question that range can still be an issue. It is why I am driving a 530e phev. But I am a one car family. If you have multiple cars, which most families have, then having one BEV can make a lot of sense.

There very well could be trips where there are an absence of charging options. Having a phev or ICE vehicle as well will solve that problem.

Tesla makes a great car. Could it improve its fit and finish, sure. But so could BMW (I find it hard to believe that BMW doesn't offer a nappa choice in the three series but only the crappy Dakota).

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
480 Posts
There is no question that range can still be an issue. It is why I am driving a 530e phev. But I am a one car family. If you have multiple cars, which most families have, then having one BEV can make a lot of sense.

There very well could be trips where there are an absence of charging options. Having a phev or ICE vehicle as well will solve that problem.

Tesla makes a great car. Could it improve its fit and finish, sure. But so could BMW (I find it hard to believe that BMW doesn't offer a nappa choice in the three series but only the crappy Dakota).
Agreed. I have a PHEV for the same reason (and I live in the city and street park so I could have a issue securing my charging spot occasionally). PHEVs are the future IMHO because they can straddle both worlds really well. Once we're seeing 50-100 mile range PHEVs across most makes and models we will see EVs start to dominate auto sales (and charging infrastructure slowing coming up to speed).

BMW and other car makers are masters at market segmentation. Its the same reason the 5 series in Canada has BMW Laserlights, but the US market can't get them. Cars are quite a bit more expensive in Canada so sales of the 7 series are super thin, but in the US the 7 sells well. Holding back on some features will ensure the 5 series doesn't cannibalize 7 series sales and the same is true when looking at 3 vs 5 feature options.

I wonder if this will start to shift with the aggressive push for technology innovation in cars. Increasingly buyers are less interested in fit and finish and more interested in the Techical features and frequent updates as Tesla has so keenly proven.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts