BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Addicted To Autocross
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a Porsche Club AutoX this past Sunday and although I did well by placing 6th overall out of 41 cars, I found the Auto Tranny to be killing me when it comes to exiting tight corners. I just can't get decent speed out of them and even with the manual shifting in Steptronic, the car (330Ci) just will not let me downshift. I rode along with my friend in his s2000 and he was going to 1st in those tight corners and he came out flying. Granted, the s2000 is a killer car to begin with (its alot of fun just to ride in one), but I think my performance could be better with a manual, especially when I decide to take on the big tracks.

Anyways, to that effect, I started learning how to drive a stick again today. Hadn't done it in years. Even then, I didn't do it much at all and it never became habit. I'm learning in my friend's Miata. With some practice and when I feel comfortable, I plan on getting my own car to practice with daily, probably a 91-94 Sentra SE-R. I already own a 91 Sentra, but that too is auto and 3-speed at that. When I'm ready, I'm thinking ///M3 or ///M Roadster. If M3, not sure yet which version to get. The e30 seems like alot of fun, but I might want the power of the new e46 models.

BTW, the Steptronic is really a very good automatic. Even with the lags in manual mode, its still a helluva lot of fun to drive and shifts very smoothly. And despite the slight handicap, I have managed so far to win 10 Autocross awards and 8 in a row.

·
10,856 Posts
Welcome to the Dark Side. :)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
:tsk: That's for getting Step in the first place! :confused:

But seriously, it's nice to hear someone say that they actually do regret optioning out of the clutch.

BTW, great choice on the B13 SE-R. Those things can tear up the auto-x's. Be sure to drop in a SR20DET, hehe. If you know Nissan's, you know what that is!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Mystikal said:
Be sure to drop in a SR20DET, hehe. If you know Nissan's, you know what that is!
I had one of those in my 1993 G20 5-speed.

Great engine, too bad the G20 was too heavy for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.