BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I had no idea the stability and control an LSD could provide on a RWD car. Since it's been raining a lot recently and I found an insanely twisty backroad near my house, I've been exploring the limits of my car. After a week of thrashing the E30 and E46, I realize that the LSD absolutely makes or breaks the experience. I can consistently hang the 325is' tail out mildly out of every turn with confidence. Even running on 195/65/14 all-seasons, the car inspires a lot more confidence than the E46. The E46 so far is the only one that I have completely lost control of. On a 6-lane wide industrial side road this week, I decided to try and drive the car hard in the rain like I always do in the E30. I simply could not predict what the car was going to do as I set up for the corner. Frequently, the inside tire would spin with so little grip that the car would be bouncing off the rev-limiter doing 40km/h in 2nd. WTF?! This is just sad. On the same road 30 mins earlier in the E30, I was getting the power down efficiently, despite 60mm less contact patch on the road and similar power ratings. I actually skidded sideways to an almost complete halt about 4 times that night in the E46. Meanwhile, I had some excellent opposite-lock full-throttle slides in the E30. This is of course intentional, when I'm actually trying to get somewhere fast the E30 simply does it with a lot less drama.

I think spending any money on a mod other than an LSD would be wasteful. Nothing would improve the car as much as a good 25%+ differential. I hate you BMW! :mad:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nate328Ci said:
You are lucky that your dad's 325 has the optional LSD, most didn't.

The Sports Package should come with a limited slip and lower ratio, like the 540 SP
The LSD was part of the sport package up here (all "is" models had the sport package). :thumbup:

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
actually it amazed me when i first found out that the e46 so often praised for its performance and handling comes only with an open differential... :eeps:

·
The Darwinator.
529 Posts
Jspeed said:
HOIP makes a Torsen-style LSD for the E46. It costs US$1200.

http://www.hioprace-tec.com/
...as does Dinan. I'd be curious to compare the two, especially since I was planning on getting the Dinan (and had never heard of the HOIP.) Anyone out there with first hand experience? The pricing is comparable.

B.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bob330Ci said:

...as does Dinan. I'd be curious to compare the two, especially since I was planning on getting the Dinan (and had never heard of the HOIP.) Anyone out there with first hand experience? The pricing is comparable.

B.
Actually, the Dinan diffs for the e46 are open units as well. If you're still interested, my Dinan 3.15 is for sale in the classifieds ;)

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

Surely you mean E30?
Nate was saying "the e46 sport package should come with... blah blah... like the 540" while Mystikal was saying "back in the e30 days the e30 sport package brought with it an LSD". :p

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Some sort of LSD is a NECESSITY for truly sporty driving, IMO. One can learn to drive well with an open diff, but the traction issues can really ruin your day. :( And no matter what BMW says, their DSC/ASC/T selective braking systems don't come close to the same level of functionality during aggressive driving maneuvers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This really irks me too. Thanks for the link JSpeed. I was losing hope that anyone made a LSD for E46. Question: Has anyone installed or attempted to install the M3's LSD onto their 323/325/328/330? I'm wondering if it's feasable and how much it would cost.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Mashuri said:
This really irks me too. Thanks for the link Bob. I was losing hope that anyone made a LSD for E46. Question: Has anyone installed or attempted to install the M3's LSD onto their 323/325/328/330? I'm wondering if it's feasable and how much it would cost.
IIRC it's electronically controlled, so I doubt it's even remotely possible without thousands of $$$ to throw away. =)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mashuri said:
This really irks me too. Thanks for the link JSpeed. I was losing hope that anyone made a LSD for E46. Question: Has anyone installed or attempted to install the M3's LSD onto their 323/325/328/330? I'm wondering if it's feasable and how much it would cost.
I'm assuming you're referring to the e46 M3 diff. If you are, it requires custom work to the subframe I believe. Contact Tony at http://www.vacmotorsports.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mashuri said:

I just called them and was quoted $1,350. Is someone yanking my chain or is there something I'm missing?
Yanking your chain? I'm assuming you said this because it's more than you thought. However, I think it's in the ball park with other LSDs. Do note that the HIOP is just a worm gear so you install it in your current diff or whatever diff (i.e. ratio) you want.

·
Registered
139 Posts
JawKnee said:

Yanking your chain? I'm assuming you said this because it's more than you thought. However, I think it's in the ball park with other LSDs. Do note that the HIOP is just a worm gear so you install it in your current diff or whatever diff (i.e. ratio) you want.
I realize it's in the ballpark, it's just that JSpeed said it was US $1,200 and I wanted to confirm.

I'm fine with simply installing the wormgear in my existing case as long as it works well. I know it won't be as high tech as the M3's diff. but it should greatly improve over the stock open diff. :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mashuri said:
Sounds like a cool mod but I'm almost afraid to find out the cost. :eek:
Since you've got an '03 330Ci on order, if you're truly interested in the LSD, you might as well just cancel the 330Ci and pony up the extra cash for an M3. I would wager that the price of having the M3 LSD installed in a garden-variety 330Ci will be a large chunk of the price difference between the two, anyway.

If I had known that an LSD could not be had in any 3-series other than the M3, I might have paid the difference and went with the M3, too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ruteger said:
Since you've got an '03 330Ci on order, if you're truly interested in the LSD, you might as well just cancel the 330Ci and pony up the extra cash for an M3. I would wager that the price of having the M3 LSD installed in a garden-variety 330Ci will be a large chunk of the price difference between the two, anyway.

If I had known that an LSD could not be had in any 3-series other than the M3, I might have paid the difference and went with the M3, too.
I would consider buying the M3 if it cost me a few thousand or more to put a LSD on my 330. Since http://www.hioprace-tec.com/ offers one that looks to be up to the task for $1,350, I think that'll be the way for me to go.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.