BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2001 740 tinted and now the AM radio doesn't work worth a darn. What options do I have to improve it?

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Who the hell listens to AM anyway?

Is the tint metallic? If so, you may want to change the tint on the backlight to be non-metallic.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xspeedy said:
Who the hell listens to AM anyway?

Is the tint metallic? If so, you may want to change the tint on the backlight to be non-metallic.
Baseball games, traffic and RUSH.

What do you mean backlight? Do you mean back window? In a question I should have asked before it was done, is it safe to assume the antenna is in the back window somewhere?

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
Yes, the back window. You may want to get confirmation, but that is where the antenna is usually placed.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
beware_phog said:

What do you mean backlight? Do you mean back window? In a question I should have asked before it was done, is it safe to assume the antenna is in the back window somewhere?
Sorry to hear about your poor reception. The advantages of going to a non metallic tint film to avoid interference with radio reception has been discussed in many threads.

You need to be very careful about having the rear window film replaced. The antenna is embedded in the rear window heating element. The heating element can easily be damaged by removing the film. You may want to ask your installer about a guaranteee that the element will not be damaged.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You could switch to a ceramic film. It will retain the high heat rejection property of metallic film and won't interfere with AM reception.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
___lk___ said:
keep it on FM. there's only one RUSH worth listening to...

Oh yeah, love them as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
beware_phog said:

RUSH... well maybe lightening will strike your car and solve one more problem for humanity! hahaha

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
aidensocal said:
RUSH... well maybe lightening will strike your car and solve one more problem for humanity! hahaha
Yeah, that was funny and helpful. :thumbdwn:

Like everyone else said, metallic tint will interfere with the AM radio reception. Since this is an issue with you, you'll have to replace your tint with a ceramic tint or a dye-based tint. Although cheaper, the latter of these two options will fade, peel, and turn purple on you. It also will not reject as much heat. Go ahead and do the ceramic tint, but like LDV330i said, make sure they're very careful about taking the current tint off to avoid disturbing the defroster heating element, which also acts as your AM radio antenna. Probably won't get a guarantee out of the installer, so go with someone you really trust to do good work (depends if the original installer did good work and whether or not he offers ceramic tint). Depending on where you live, I'm sure someone here can recommend an installer.

FYI, so that you aren't surprised if you decide to go with the ceramic tint, it'll probably cost double what you paid for the metallic tint, but will be worth it in the long run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts