BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I thought I would put up a post on some issues I was troubleshooting to hopefully help others out for what I found.

I have had my '08 650i for about 4 months and love it! I did start having some issues that were odd and intermittent. First issue I had was one day I went to start the car and nothing happened when the start button was pushed. I opened the door, then for some reason I pushed the button and boom it started up. I tried to duplicate it several times with no issue, it started every time. I thought it was odd as I had recently (`10 minutes) just drove the car. A few weeks later, driving the car for roughly 30 minutes, I had a Service Engine Light come on and the car began to run rough. It cleared up and then I had a yellow brake message as well as the DSC light illuminated. I did some troubleshooting the next day and found codes on several modules for low voltage and Crankshaft Position Sensor. I decided after reading the forums that the battery could be the cause, so I replaced it as it was an OEM battery. That went well and I registered the new battery with my computer. This worked for a few more weeks, when the troubles returned. It started happening more often and various things would happen. A few times, the car would just die when I pushed the clutch in. It was like the idle was affected. This time I decided to really dig into the troubleshooting and started running the codes against my Bentley Manual as well as the forums. One of the codes was 5F76 DSC : Under the DSC Modules as Engine Management Interface. This code had a few hits on the web that pointed to the Integrated Supply Module (IVM). The IVM has several systems that are integral to the operation of our cars. (ECM, Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors, Ignition Coils, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump Relay, Valvetronic Control Modules)

After ordering a IVM online, I replaced it in the car. Curiosity got to me and I broke the case loose and found what appeared to be corrosion on the solder terminals. This was odd to me as it is in a pretty much sealed box with the ECM. After replacing the IVM, the car has run flawlessly and I noticed it shifting better as well. The IVM must have been going bad do the corrosion and it had been degrading the performance little bits at a time.

Here are some pictures of the IVM location and how to get to it. It is a pretty straight forward job and takes about 30 minutes to do. If your having troubles, I would suggest you look at the IVM to determine if yours is corroded as well. Replacement cos was under $100.

The IVM is located under the Cabin Filter box.

To remove the cabin filter, Lift the tab on this piece and slide to the drivers side.

Once the cabin filter has been removed, you will see the Electronics Box. Remove the cover and you can get to the IVM.

photo 20150614_123208_zpslaadjg2t.jpg

Here is the IVM for my car

Here is the Electronics Box with the cover removed. IVM is on the left center of the picture.

Lower Connector Pictures

How to remove the connectors on the IVM.

Inside of the IVM

Codes I pulled from the car using my laptop and Autoenginuity Software with the full BMW suite.

Information from my Bentley Manual on the IVM

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, that's a great post!

I had some of the same issues (failure to start, CEL, rough idling, etc) on my 08 and replaced the IVM and they went away as well. I didn't bother to take the old one apart to see if there was any signs of water (I think I still have it and may do that). There is a drain right above it that takes the water from the windshield well and drains it behind the front wheel well and it gets clogged with junk, which may be the reason for the water staining and failure. Most folks don't even know it is there let alone clean it out regularly. When I was checking my cabin filters I saw it clogged with leaves.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Very good post. We have so many posts with "random gremlins" and the default thought process is normally to check the battery/alternator combo.

It's easy to forget about this module and the fact that it may be the cause of many issues for our members.

Thanks for sharing the details and your great documentation.

:thumbup:

·
Michael
2,309 Posts
It may well be that cleaning the corrosion from the circuit board cures the faults without having to replace the unit for a new one. Especially if you put a protective film over it to prevent re-contamination. Even taking it apart for preventative reasons knowing it is liable for corroding.....
Either way good fault finding!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a brand new Bosch alternator in my shop for the car. I ordered it before I found the IVM issue. It was my next step and was ordered while I was traveling with no time to troubleshoot. Finding the issue on the circuit board was the smoking gun I was looking for.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Thanks for posting, subscribing to this detailed and informative thread.

Great sig pic too. Beautiful cars.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Very nicely done! The IVM has been the hidden issue for several people over the years. It looks like your car had experienced water issues, probably from clogged front drains at some point. From your pictures they looked pretty good now.

This is how I discovered mine when I was doing some maintenance a couple of years ago. I had put up a thread with a warning to check them, still something I watch from time to time. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679976&highlight=drains

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Excellent and helpful post... had to have my IVM changed out a couple years ago under CPO.

And a good reminder from Mark to check the front drains once in a while.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great post!!, Where did you purchase the IVM? Dealer / Ebay/ Other???
I bought it from Rocky Mountain European online for under $100

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disconnect Battery?

Great info! I have located the part at my local dealership for $124.40.

Please excuse by ignorance but I have 2 questions.

1.) Is it necessary to disconnect the battery first? The repair instructions for Removing And Installing_replacing Integrated Supply Module (N62, N62TU) say to disconnect. http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/6_s...placing_integrated_supply_module_(n62_n62tu)/

2.) If so, according to the instructions for disconnecting and connecting battery (http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/7_s...ons_for_disconnecting_and_connecting_battery/ ) there are some statements of concern such as "All available central keys must be recoded for cars with first generation infrared transmitter locking systems" and "Vehicles with automatic engine start-stop system (MSA): MSA function is active only after learning period (vehicle must not be woken for a period of 6 hours)". What can I expect when I re-connect the battery for my '07 650?

Thanks for your time & expertise!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an 08 650 and disconnected the battery to do the IVM and had no problems. If I recall correctly I also did it once without disconnecting the battery somewhat by accident and still didn't have an issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anytime you disconnect an electrical part, the manual will say to disconnect the battery. If the ignition is off you will be okay. The battery power is still available at the connectors. They are protected and there is really a low risk to them making contact with a ground. If I were taking an alternator or starter off, I would protect the terminal end or remove the ground from the battery to reduce the risk.

Disconnecting the battery is fine, you will have no real issues after reconnecting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replaced mine after a few incidents that could not be reproduced at my indy shop, for
how inexpensive it is to replace it sure causes all kinds of problems so if anyone is chasing some weird random electrical gremlin I would replace the IVM first

·
Registered
2 Posts
great post everytime i wash my 07 650i it runs funny for about 10 min. quick ? whereb can i find a bentley manuel for 650i e63 ive looked everywhere???

thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just use the five series Bentley manuals.

·
Registered
170 Posts
great post everytime i wash my 07 650i it runs funny for about 10 min. quick ? whereb can i find a bentley manuel for 650i e63 ive looked everywhere???

thanks
I don't believe there is a Bently manual for the 6 series, but the 5 series will cover most of the drive train (550).

·
Registered
846 Posts
Great write up. The areas under the pollen filter housings on either side are very susceptible to holding water. The drains underneath the master cylinder and the ECU housing get clogged with dirt & rotting leaves allowing rain water to accurate there.

Check your drains everyone, it affects the e60/e61 5 Series too.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts