BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jó reggelt kivánok and Guten morgen!

Just a few pictures before we start walking around the city.

1.) Beautiful view of the Mondsee
2.) Great day (although hot, 33°!) for a drive
3.) Stop to by the Matrica after crossing the border
4.) View from hotel window

Attachments

·
Happily Driving
7,201 Posts
Thanks for the update and the fotos!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Late afternoon report

Fotos

1.) The car at the suggestion of the general manager is spending its days guarding the hotel entrance
2.) the Lanchid (chain bridge), looking towards Buda
3.) view from the cog railway
4.) view through the Vienna Gate
5.) The Duna (Danube)

Attachments

·
Wannabe Bayer
92 Posts
If I remember correctly there are a lot of pretty girls in Budapest. I was there in 1996 on R&R from being deployed to Bosnia. The single guys started to refer to it as Bootyfest rather than Budapest. :rofl:

What hotel are you staying at Jonathan? My wife and I stayed at the Hilton. It's a great city! Have fun!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deutschhof said:
What hotel are you staying at Jonathan? My wife and I stayed at the Hilton. It's a great city! Have fun!
The Foto of the 3er in front of the Hilton tells it all. ;)

I haven't been in Budapest in a long time although I've been in other parts of Hungary as recently as a few months ago. The city has changed a lot, much cleaner and the economy is much more upbeat.

·
Banned
586 Posts
Great pics, We were in Budapest in 02 and it was great. A person just has to watch the cab drivers, they like to cheat on fares and routes. My wife is hungarian so she was all over them like a fat kid on a smartie:thumbup: Enjoy

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Deutschhof said:
The single guys started to refer to it as Bootyfest rather than Budapest. :rofl:!
Yep, it was that way still last year - wow. :bigpimp:

So Jspira, post some pics of the fine women of Magyar for us! :thumbup:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BBBMW said:
A person just has to watch the cab drivers, they like to cheat on fares and routes.
Who takes a taxi when there's a nice 3er to drive? Actually, we did take one taxi, but have been walking otherwise. I'm not Hungarian but I do speak the language a little and that has come in handy. I told the driver exactly how much I would pay when I got into the taxicab.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just found out, what is possibly Europe's biggest shopping mall is part of our hotel complex (here at the Hilton).

400 stores!

And no Starbucks.

Great activity as it started pouring late this afternoon.

·
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
162 Posts
Great pictures of a beautiful city -- thanks :thumbup:

·
Wannabe Bayer
92 Posts

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
I'm planning on going to Budapest April 6th thru 9th.

Any updates? Looking for a nice central hotel with safe parking.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Buda or Pest?

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Hey JS:

Nice to get a trip report from the land of my ancestors. Since this trip slightly predates my arrival on this forum, it was "new" to me. Great change of pace from the content of the typical report.

Maybe one day while visiting the northeast corner of Italy, I'll be able to convince The Spousal Unit to ease across the border and visit Hungary.

Köszönöm! (thank you, pronounced kussunum)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe one day while visiting the northeast corner of Italy, I'll be able to convince The Spousal Unit to ease across the border and visit Hungary.
Make sure you get pretty far across the border or your wife will be sorely disappointed. We drove from Budapest to Maribor, Slovenia (and then on into Italy) last year, and there ain't much in southwest Hungary. Lake Balaton is supposed to be quite pretty, but unfortunately we were in a rush and couldn't take any time off the autoroute.

Budapest was probably our favorite city on our trip, though. (And if you go on an ED, going to Memento Park to see the Communist-era statues is a piece of cake. There's some really striking stuff... and some that's not so striking.)

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey JS:

Nice to get a trip report from the land of my ancestors. Since this trip slightly predates my arrival on this forum, it was "new" to me. Great change of pace from the content of the typical report.

Köszönöm! (thank you, pronounced kussunum)
Glad you enjoyed it. Beszél on Magyarul?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Le Meridien or the neiughbouring Kempinski are perfect, although they've become too pricey for me these days. I have now stayed several times over the past two years at the much cheaper "Mercure City Centre" on Vati Utca,, one of the main (traffic-free) shopping streets. A great location, ok rooms, secure underground car-park and free wireless internet in a very nice lobby bar.

Throughout the centre of Budapest, as a man, you will get approached several times by women - good looking and not so - wanting to spend time with you and you to spend money with them - Beware, apparently, in pairs, they sometimes save you all that time and bother by relieving you of your wallet there and then!

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. Beszél on Magyarul?
JS: Csak kevés kicsi (only a little).

Obelix: I was afraid of that. My acestors hail from the region northwest of Budapest and I seriously doubt The Spousal Unit could be persuaded to give up any significant portion of Italy Time (much treasured) to go exploring in Hungary.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts