BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an easy way to jack stand an 08 E60 550 on all fours. I found these jack adapters at Burger Motor Sport for $26 shipped

http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html

I tried jacking straight on the jack pads and they obviously started to deform - should do the trick. Now here's my question:

The rears look straightforward to put on jack stands: Jack up at rear dif (use some wood and padding and jack stand them at the jacking pads.

THe fronts however has me in a quandary: there's no where in the front center to jack up the whole front end. So i put the front end up on the ramps to take a better look. The only thing I can see that is a possibility for a good spot of the stands is the ball end of what looks to be a control arm (very unfamiliar with suspension components, etc). Would this point be ok to either jack stand or jack up on?

So why don't I just jack stand at the front jack pads while on the ramps, you ask? Well thats fine and dandy but what jack point do I use to settle the car onto the jack stands? :dunno: I have always done a 4 point jack stand while working on my jap imports years back and I always liked the efficiency of it all.

Please share all of your jacking choreography for the E60 550 here!
Thanks in Advance!
;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is what I did when I changed out my ATF about a month or so ago. Use at your own risk. My method only uses the jack pads on the side of the car to lift. When it’s all said and done, you have (3) jack stands and the jack itself as support for the car. The jack is used in place of the 4th jack stand.

1. I lifted the car using the rear jack pad on the passenger side (does not matter if you start on the driver or passenger side) and placed a jack stand (#1) under the front passenger side jack pad.

2. I then lifted the car on the rear jack pad on the driver’s side of the car and placed another jack stand (#2) under the driver’s front jack pad.

3. With the front of the car now on jack stands, you should be able to lift the car high enough (assuming your floor jack goes high enough) via one of the rear jack pads to get the opposite rear side of the car on another jack stand (#3).

4. I then left the remaining side (rear jack pad) supported by just the jack along with a ramp under the rear wheel as a safety precaution. In addition, I placed ramps under the remaining (3) wheels as an extra safety measure. I found that even if the floor jack was to lower itself somehow, the wheel with no jack stand would only lower as far as the ramp underneath it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
$20 for a single chunk of aluminum?!?!? Just get a piece of strong wood and cut it so it sticks out just a little bit past the square cut out at the jack points.

FYI there is an area to jack up the front of the car without using the jack points by the wheels. Take a closer look, it is masked well by the plastic shroud on the bottom, but there should be a small area that sticks out just a bit.

·
excluded from the Rapture
165 Posts
The front center jack point on their 550i cars is in a different location than on the 530. As hairball posted in post #22 here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5818414#post5818414

Edit- I just now checked the realoem for my 530i and it shows the same front center jack pad as the reaoem diagram for the 550i. But, "DR. OZ" posted that he didn't see that located on his 550i in the same place as the 530i. ??

·
Registered
783 Posts
The front center jack point on their 550i cars is in a different location than on the 530. As hairball posted in post #22 here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5818414#post5818414

Edit- I just now checked the realoem for my 530i and it shows the same front center jack pad as the reaoem diagram for the 550i. But, "DR. OZ" posted that he didn't see that located on his 550i in the same place as the 530i. ??
Maybe Dr. Oz hasn't really looked underneath the front of the car? I don't see how he could miss that? The front jack location sticks out like a sore thumb. I would add that the link I provided from the Real OEM site is for a midyear 2008 model.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whooop there it is!

Sorry guys, I mustve been drunk or blind when I ramped it up and was surveying under the car. I found the front jack pad and all is well again.

Thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sorry guys, I mustve been drunk or blind when I ramped it up and was surveying under the car. I found the front jack pad and all is well again.

No problem. A lot of guys come on here thinking they don't have oil dipsticks on their 550's too. Even with the front jack pad, I went the side jack pad lift route. There is just something about that front one I don't like. Let us know your experience with it if you lift using the front of the car.

·
165 Posts

Dan, I recall that in my PM to you, I referred to that jack pad as " a rubber rectangular pad". I'll accept the blame as I probably misled you (since I was only 50% accurate:eeps: as it's not rubber). I had my wife's car in mind- it does have a rectangular rubber front, center jack pad. Also, I now realize why Mr. John "hairball" described it as flimsy- it appears so to me, too!

·
165 Posts
No problem. A lot of guys come on here thinking they don't have oil dipsticks on their 550's too. Even with the front jack pad, I went the side jack pad lift route. There is just something about that front one I don't like. Let us know your experience with it if you lift using the front of the car.
I'm planning to do a front side jack stand placement using that front, center jack point within the week ahead and will post here how the center jack point holds up. I'm waiting for some ordered parts to arrive. (I still plan to use the suggested reverse logic jack pad to first jack up a front side to place the rear side jack stand on that same side.)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm planning to do a front side jack stand placement using that front, center jack point within the week ahead and will post here how the center jack point holds up. I'm waiting for some ordered parts to arrive. (I still plan to use the suggested reverse logic jack pad to first jack up a front side to place the rear side jack stand on that same side.)
Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in hearing if that front jack pad cracks under the pressure? I'm sure it will be fine though. I just don't get why the material of that pad is different than the ones on the side? Anyway, good luck with ATF change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take some pics too!! Too bad we don't live closer, we could've banged it out together - with hairball supervising ;). Can't do much until it warms up here in Chicago, my heated garage is still too cold to work
In - yeah, I'm a wimp, I know.

Good luck!

·
BMW Rider & Driver
15 Posts
Depending on your floor jack this may be the best way to go. That front center jack point is quite a ways rearward of the front bumper and pretty low down. You would need a fairly long but flat jack to get under the front end. I have a a big ol' 5 ton standard sized jack and it wasn't even close to fitting under the front end and reach far enough back to that jack point.

·
165 Posts
Depending on your floor jack this may be the best way to go. That front center jack point is quite a ways rearward of the front bumper and pretty low down. You would need a fairly long but flat jack to get under the front end. I have a a big ol' 5 ton standard sized jack and it wasn't even close to fitting under the front end and reach far enough back to that jack point.
That Arcan jack, at the Northern Tool link John posted above, will fit. Also, there's an HF low-profile floor jack that a guy in the "buyer reviews" of that jack, said that he lifted the entire front-end of his 530i without a problem, from the front, center position. (5th customer review from the top):
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profile-floor-service-jack-67022.html

Maybe your 5-ton standard size would fit, if you first drove your car up on Rhino Ramps (low profile ramps)? I guess that whether or not that would be effective would still depend on how high your jack's required upward handle range is while jacking it.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'd spend the extra cash on the Arcan. I have the same model. that thing is solid.
And at $109! Damn! :banana:
Yes, awesome jack. You will feel like you're in the AJ Foyt pit crew with that thing. Just don't break your back lifting that bad boy. It is HEAVY!!! It has an outstanding reach on it too. It's about 21 inches. You can just about tilt the car over on the side if you don't watch out.

·
165 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in hearing if that front jack pad cracks under the pressure? I'm sure it will be fine though. I just don't get why the material of that pad is different than the ones on the side? Anyway, good luck with ATF change.
Well, over time, I also began to doubt that front, center jack point. I began imagining lifting about 18" or more, at the front, center pad, and then that brittle material cracking under pressure, causing the floor jack or one of the rear jack stands to slip off and end up piercing an unintended target.:yikes: So, when my ordered parts arrived this past weekend, I did the ATF drain/refill, using John's jacking method described above, in his post #2. That worked fine for me, thanks for posting it.

So, we still need a guinea pig, to try jacking at the front center jack "pad".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Front Jack Pad

Front jack pad SUCCESS - but I used this :
http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-jack-saddle-pad-96306.html

with HF's 2 ton jack - BTW the Arcan is no longer available.

Post inspection shows no Ill to the front jack pad, so we're good to go!

PS - @hairball - I got those rubber jack stand thingies -- are they only supposed to fit the Central Hydraulics jack stands? When I put them on my other jack stands they wobble laterally a bit.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So, we still need a guinea pig, to try jacking at the front center jack "pad".
Done it many times on both my 650 and 535. The latter, with sports suspension, is lower, so necessitated purchase of a lower jack than my old iron unit. I went with the nifty dual piston aluminum racing jack sold through the tire rack.

That's what the center jack pad is there for. No issue having it support the front of the car while you slip jack stands under the front side jack points. Obviously, do not slide under the car when supported by the center point alone:bigpimp:

Spyder

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Done it many times on both my 650 and 535. The latter, with sports suspension, is lower, so necessitated purchase of a lower jack than my old iron unit. I went with the nifty dual piston aluminum racing jack sold through the tire rack.

That's what the center jack pad is there for. No issue having it support the front of the car while you slip jack stands under the front side jack points. Obviously, do not slide under the car when supported by the center point alone:bigpimp:

Spyder
+1, I've used it, too. You have to have a low and long jack to get the clearance necessary to use the jacking point. I have two jacks and I used one on the side jacking point to raise the car up enough for me to get the big jack under the front bumper.

When I changed the rear differential fluid I backed the car up on to ramps and then used jack stands on the front end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts