BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BMW Fan
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I jack the diff to get both wheels off and place stands under the pads on each side?
Or should I jack one side at a time

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Here's what I did . . .

In getting the M Roadster up on 4 jackstands this weekend, here's what I did and things I found. The initial conditions/constraints were - I was using the long 2800 lb. AC jack, rhino ramps (both borrowed from Kaz), I have the Craftsman 3 ton jack stands, foldable wheel chocks and I do not have the whole cut in the front end of the under body tray.

a) using the front jack pad points, lifted each side and placed the rhino ramps (reverse direction) under each front wheel.
b) with the front angled up, removed the main under body tray to expose the front cross member.
c) The problem at the rear cross member is not that the pad is too large to fit between the exhaust, but once the pad is between the exhaust, the jack arm on the AC jack is too wide. Using a 2.5" section of 4x4 (with the cross section of the 4x4 flat on the jack pad), jacked the rear of the car at the rear cross member, and placed jackstands (see note later) under the rear jack pad locations.
d) jacking at the front cross member, raised the car enough to remover the ramps and placed jack stands at the front jack pad locations.

Note: The jack pads on an M Roadster are not like the e46s and do not fit the standard jackstands (like the Craftsman). Using some jack stand pads like the ones at Protech Products, you can place the jackstand sideways with respect to the jack pad location. In short notice, I used those pads made for the ends of ladder, cutting off the excess (and they're cheaper).

I will try to get some pics posted. Some other helpful threads:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8557

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9997&highlight=jacking+AND+Coupe

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91608

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have jacked my coupe up numerous time from the rear diff. The key is to put a piece of wood across the jack plate, and place it forward of the finned diff. cover. Again, I have had no issues with this particular approach.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
MACK1 said:
I have jacked my coupe up numerous time from the rear diff. The key is to put a piece of wood across the jack plate, and place it forward of the finned diff. cover. Again, I have had no issues with this particular approach.
I do it all the time...
And twice on (autocross) Sundays.;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, trust me, I speak from experience. I put my Ground Control setup on last saturday and it took me until today to get all the adjustments right. I think all in all, I put it up 11 times since the project started on Saturday afternoon. What really get interesting is when you realize the jack isn't coming out because the car is now too low. :mad:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
MACK1 said:
What really get interesting is when you realize the jack isn't coming out because the car is now too low. :mad:
DOH! :eek:

When I get my jack, I doubt I will get the nice AC model like Kaz and Randy - I am looking at the lighter Harbor Freight model which does not have anywhere near the same reach, so I will probably go for the rear diff. jack point at that time as well.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Interesting!

We were taking the M Roady down of the jack stands and since I had used the rear cross member to put it up, we placed the jack there again.

When we started to put the load on it, Raffi who was spotting said it looked like the cross member was compressing! :yikes:

So we moved more aft and used the rear diff. just as Randy and others have mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts