BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
wanting power/performance but dont want to have or spend the $ for a repair (in case of an failure) doesn't mix.

"They may perform well for a period of time, but the very real risk of catastrophic failure on any or all of the internal components in these particular engines is enough to let anyone in the used car market stay the hell away. " - I kinda agree with him on this, but if you aren't inclined of doing at least %40 of repairs your self then yes I would stay away from a bmw....

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is indeed all about choice. The trick is to be an informed buyer, which makes this forum a gold mine. Other cars may be more reliable but there is one option none of them come with: "BMW-ness".

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,384 Posts
All companies have their share of engine issues from time to time.

My 2001 Toyota Sienna developed the infamous engine oil gellation issue. Did an oil change and there was jello-ish oil in the filter. Went out and got the wife's X5 that week. This problem was due to a hot engine, slow oil cooling when shut down and smaller oil capacity overall. Now, my kids both have Japanese cars and it makes sense for them -- they are just more reliable overall and they can't afford the time nor money to fix them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
God dammit I hate falling for Gawker clickbait every time. :mad:

Eleven-year old N62 here with 75k miles. No issues whatsoever with this engine.

Never owned an M-car though, and I don't think I've got the fortitude to do it, either. There are plenty of other performance brands with less perceived headaches.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
m62 timing chains at 125,000 miles? Something wrong, hope he did not confuse vanos startup rattle with timing chain guides they last much much longer than 125k miles

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have had some stressful times with my 545i. But not the engine and I beat the sh!+ out of it. Only leaks and all the electronic stuff they put on all cars now that will end up going bad sooner or later but engine no way. You have maximas and 350z's that chew up oil and need replacement at low mileage. Then subaru have major head gasket issuses. And the new wrx's have bad piston ring landing issuses. And the list goes on and on. I got so mad I couldn't even finish reading it. My 01 530i had a hard 170k miles on it and was still mint with no knocks or ticks or leaks. I see e39 m5s with 200k or higher miles all the time still going strong. But to weed out a couple of cars and tag a brand with **** motors... Really. Shouldve looked at the b6 and b7 s4 before bringing up timing guides.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Crap-Ola...I work as a tech for BMW, did a leak down test in training on an m54 that has been sitting dry with no oil since 2006. This engine has been molested by ALOT of guys coming thru training, spun dry, torn apart, and put back together dry. Now you would certainly expect it to leak quite a bit, at least the 15% industry standard...nope, 7%, this engine was still tighter than any brand new domestic or jap motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My old e36 with the m42 had 297k mi when it took a ****. Not a performance engine but I redlined that thing daily for years without issues.

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Crap-Ola...I work as a tech for BMW, did a leak down test in training on an m54 that has been sitting dry with no oil since 2006. This engine has been molested by ALOT of guys coming thru training, spun dry, torn apart, and put back together dry. Now you would certainly expect it to leak quite a bit, at least the 15% industry standard...nope, 7%, this engine was still tighter than any brand new domestic or jap motor.
Good one. I have m54 and only the sump leaks. Wonder if the cut seal on sump Will work without lifting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts